Thread: Weird Moose Noises

Default Weird Moose Noises

I've hear moose mew, grunt and "glunk" but last night I heard one sounding like a bear woofing... he (or she) kept doing this very nasal blow out which I'm assuming was a technique to either warn or refresh it's nasal passage with whatever scent was trying to be determined (probably mine.) I was driving the down the road and pulled over for a smoke break and heard something in the bushes. I think that maybe it either didn't like my smell or the ciggy or both but as I heard it eat (break off branches and pulling grass) it would stop periodically and make that deep bass sound and snort... anyone else experience this?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I have had this happen when sitting glassing and a cow and calf walked up on me. The cow got my wind at about 15 yards and FREAKED! She started snorting/woofing I assume as a warning for the calf who split immediately, the cow waited for a second and then went crashing into the trees after the calf.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

yep - same here, have had a couple cows that woofed like a bear, pretty sure it means PO'd!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey rob so far i have seen 16 bears this year... good chance it was one of them also... i have found plenty of signlately of them pulling brush over to eat the newest buds I have one in the yard each eve.. eating my clover too... she is too small yet so she can eat until she is an issue.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah, but ...have you seen moose do the bug-eye thing? When they're nervous and they pop their eyes out every couple of seconds? It's weird to see...

Brian

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

is that simalar to the wifes bug eyed thing when i bring home more hunting gear or guns? ( honest honey its to keep the kids safe and sound)

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Yeah, but ...have you seen moose do the bug-eye thing? When they're nervous and they pop their eyes out every couple of seconds? It's weird to see...

Brian
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default woof!!!

ya know, i've always wondered what that was that cool sept night when i had climbed down out of a tree in my climber. i was trying to be as quiet as possible, but the climber makes some scraping & clanking nioses. well, off in the distance, something lets out a deep (you could tell it had large lungs!!) woofff!!!. i was like what the heck was that?? (alone in the dark, with a bow) hmmm, i'm off down the trail to the wheeler... WOOOFFF!!! again, closer... yikes!!! whatever it is, its comin closer.... i get to the wheeler, quietly stow my bow & treestand on the wheeler... i sit there listening... no other noises, no sticks breaking, no muddy footsteps schmucking.. all is quiet... hmmm oh well.... key in the wheeler, helmet 1/2 way on just above my ears... listening one more time before i break the silence, firing up the wheeler... WOOOFFF!!!!! dang.. whatever it is, its CLOSE!!! i hit the start button, nail the throttle, i'm outtahere!!!!
    i get home, park the wheeler, take off my helmet, my bride greets me as usual... she says "you ok??" yeah why?? "you look like you seen a ghost!!"
    LOL... never did see what was "wooofing" at me that night

Was about 20 yards from a little bull last year that was kind of blowing, snorting like that. There was a cloud of gnats around its head and I think it was blowing them out of his nose.