Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taxidermy

Default taxidermy

I shot a nice wideon on the Palmer Hayfields this morning and am thinking about having it mounted up. Anybody know a good, fairpriced taxidermist in the valley?

Becareful, this early in the season the birds are usually filled with pin feathers and very tough to get a good mount. I can't remember his last name but there is a guy named Ed in the vally that is very good.

Default Birds By Ed

This guy is in Big Lake out on Susitna Parkway. He does nothing but birds and allot of the big shops in Anchorage send birds to him. He does a great job. I had him do a pheasant last year and its prefect. Also saw some harliquins he did when they delivered the pheasant that were excellant. 892 6970.

How were the colors on the widgeon? Did it have the green robbers eye mask? Just curious how they look early season like this. We've only shot one and it was still pretty off color.

How fast was the turn around for the guy in big lake? I dropped a drake mallard off at a taxidermist in wasilla last year, and it still is not back yet.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Turn around time

He told me 6 months upfront and he was pretty close. I think it was a early Dec dropoff and I had it back later July.

What he charge last one I had done was $295.00

I am really going to have to get a hold of this guy next time I get a duck I want mounted. The place in wasilla I have still doing my mallard charged me 315.

What I ment to say was the last one I had done was by Artic Fox and he charged $295 what does the guy in big lake charge

Default Cost for one duck

I operated a Taxidermy bussiness in Kansas for 8 years and never heard of these prices...I can tell you that you guys are paying way to much, but guess you can get it up here. Not to bust these guys out but....WOW! 300 bucks. Cost for this is minimal(20$ supplies). I charged 150 for ducks and 175-200 for geese, depending the pose. Blue Ribbon Quality..Wish I could help, but need to check into the regs on Alaska. This is just a crazy price for 6-8hours of work. Might need to open up again.

duckhunter
    you open up and youll get some of my money if the work is good

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I operated a Taxidermy bussiness in Kansas for 8 years and never heard of these prices...I can tell you that you guys are paying way to much, but guess you can get it up here. Not to bust these guys out but....WOW! 300 bucks. Cost for this is minimal(20$ supplies). I charged 150 for ducks and 175-200 for geese, depending the pose. Blue Ribbon Quality..Wish I could help, but need to check into the regs on Alaska. This is just a crazy price for 6-8hours of work. Might need to open up again.
    I thought the samething. While I was out of state for a few years I also had a taxi bussiness, and was like hole crap when I got back up and compared prices. Now I only do stuff for frinds or myself.

If you start a taxidermy business, with prices like that and do good work, you will definetly have my business.

Default Turn around time

Thats the other thing..Most Taxidermist take on as many as they can...There are alot of these birds that sit in a freezer to get freezer burned. There are all kinds of tricks of the trade to accomodate the fixes...but a 6-9mo turn around on a duck is ridiculous. I know they are mounting numerous game and tend to return the larger items faster due to the customer and money issues. It would seem more benificial to return a Brown Bear faster than a Teal. got that. But proper staffing and trying not to glut over the money is the issue. Most guys take on way to much. I only took in what I knew I could handle and what I needed to make a good percentage to allow me and my family the life we wanted live. Not to mention I operated a full time guide business and was full time Military. I remember promising my customers a 30 return on all birds. There is so much time in between drying times etc to knock out a bird...Trust me, they are at different levels with organizing their species in the shop..been there. Not to forget, they have to sleep and eat...spend time with family etc...LOL. I have known of some having a 2 year turn around on a whitetail...I would forget what it looked like in that time. Plus the customer relations is key..faster turnaround with a promise note and good quality went along way with me. Always had repeat customers and the word of mouth is the best advertisement out there. Just my two cents.....out of the 300 Bucks..

duckhunter01

SO WHEN YOU GOING TO OPEN UP

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I don't know about you but 6 to 8 hours of my time are worth way more than $200, you would starve up here with those rates. I have done some waterfowl and know it is not that difficult but to do a top notch job it does take some more time and those that to a great job have a very good skill. I am not very good but better than some commercial work.
    When you say "blue ribbon quality" did you win some blue ribbons? What competitions did you enter?

I have a top notch taxidermist here in Anchorage, he is also a good friend, and is a won a National Championship with a fish. He is awesome at birds as well but doesn't have time as he is too busy with fish @ $28 and inch to to birds so he sends many of his birds for Ed to do. Ed has a very clean nice mount. I seriously worry if a taxidermist has too short of a turn around time, that usually means he doesn't have a lot of work and there usually is a reason.

Default Pheasant Price

Ed charged me $285 for the pheasant and it was a table mount with the bird in a take-off flying position.

Default Lmao

Knew the comments would get someone fired up. Remember, I stated Kansas. There were only two other taxidermist in the immediate area other than me. Being that this was not my sole income making machine. I undercut them, not so much for the bussiness/money. But because I had a skill that I knew I could make some extra cash with and why not provide this to the local community for an average cost and deliver a competiion mount verses a commercial mount. As stated I took in what I knew I could handle, in return producing a product to the customer in a respective timeframe. The other two were doing this fulltime and would have a 6mo-1year on a bird. Relying on their prices to reflect their GAI (gross annual income) needed to survive. I know in Texas you wouldnt pay more than 175 for a duck. Depends on where live, and what the taxidemist knows he can get. Not to mention having a great reputation as a Nationally known taxidermist or award winner. Obviously there are closet taxidermist out there that dont get the opportunity excell in this field. You cant just make a living on birds. So as you know...it takes time and dedication to excell and learn other techniques and animals to survive. I was lucky, and dedicated my time to a skill I had to open my bussiness on the side of everything else I had going on...I am enjoying this...brings back old memories..think I'll mount one this weekend for old times sake.

I never won any National awards..and felt like I never needed to compete at that level. I placed well in many state competitions in numerous catagories and ran a respectable business that had satisfied customers. Who cares about winning anyhow. I know many taxidermist who have mounted my own specimens hanging in my house and never competed in any contest...as there are many out there running respective businesses today that have not. Great point.....but irrelevant to providing a quality product to a customer that leaves smiling... Awards, ribbons, plaques etc are great to cover a wall and build cofidence and self esteem. Helped me, I will admite that. But not necessary. I got more from a satisified customer. This was my business philosophy.

ALASKA, lets view this from a taxidermist mindset...Big game, moose, sheep, goats, blacktail deer, bears, etc and Fish, throw in a few birds..and that about sums it up. In the midwest, deer, ducks, quail, pheasants, turkey, exotic game. I even did a few doves, but will never do them again. So the market up here would be organized to accomodate different types of game/pricing etc. I have never mounted half of these big game guys and would have to take my skill to a new level and learn some techniques to accomodate that...If I opened a bussiness up here I would have to suvive on Fish and big game..again,,,"MARKET" These guys up here are working with deposits/revenue to accomodate the startup fees and the expenses are probably higher due to a slower turn around. Therefore seeing the need to throw a duck to the wayside until I got that 3k(or whatever they charge) bear out the door to pay my mortgage payment. I have seen some great mounts and some awesome products hanging around town, I know the time it takes to produce a quality mount and seems more than often they are full size. Big job and huge responsiblity putting out a quality product when so many things can happen with the product before it gets to it's final stage.
    I appreicate the forum and the discussions and by no means am trying to start any issues on here...Again..300 bucks for a duck....WOW! Enjoy! Glad I can mount my own is all I am saying...probably should of said that from the getgo...LOL .

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I don't know about you but 6 to 8 hours of my time are worth way more than $200, you would starve up here with those rates. I have done some waterfowl and know it is not that difficult but to do a top notch job it does take some more time and those that to a great job have a very good skill. I am not very good but better than some commercial work.
    When you say "blue ribbon quality" did you win some blue ribbons? What competitions did you enter?

I have a top notch taxidermist here in Anchorage, he is also a good friend, and is a won a National Championship with a fish. He is awesome at birds as well but doesn't have time as he is too busy with fish @ $28 and inch to to birds so he sends many of his birds for Ed to do. Ed has a very clean nice mount. I seriously worry if a taxidermist has too short of a turn around time, that usually means he doesn't have a lot of work and there usually is a reason.

I agree that you do not need to win ribbons etc... to be a good taxidermist. You don't need to be an olympian to run either but there are different levels for everything. Competing leads to better work, it is easy to sit back and watch an uneducated customer rant and rave over how good one's work is, but under a critical eye of a Newmeyer or Savides flaws are pointed out that makes a taxidermist much better, pay more attention to detail, design, anatomy, etc.....
    Full time taxidermists that count on that for a living aren't real keen on the guy doing work for cheap prices out of their garage etc....they undercut the market because they don't really need the money and want to do it for fun, making it very difficult for a guy to make a living doing this art form.
    My buddy is doing just fine, he basically only does fish, will do big game for friends, but is well over a year out for fish, he raises his prices to get less work and ends up getting more. His quality sets him appart and keeps him in demand.

Default Well Said

well said,,,you are right and there is no arguing about that. I am just glad to know that I was one of those who did quality work and got recognized for it, not only by my customers but by the competition as well/peers. That is what was so great about being a member of the National Taxidermy Association is that we all got together to share techniques and procedures, experiences, and troubleshooting measures to ensure that together we kept the business and organization alive...promoting a positive attitude to the newcomers. Ensuring the practice never died and the ones that viewed us as slaughters and crazies understood it was an art form of work that could be appreicated by all.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I agree that you do not need to win ribbons etc... to be a good taxidermist. You don't need to be an olympian to run either but there are different levels for everything. Competing leads to better work, it is easy to sit back and watch an uneducated customer rant and rave over how good one's work is, but under a critical eye of a Newmeyer or Savides flaws are pointed out that makes a taxidermist much better, pay more attention to detail, design, anatomy, etc.....
    Full time taxidermists that count on that for a living aren't real keen on the guy doing work for cheap prices out of their garage etc....they undercut the market because they don't really need the money and want to do it for fun, making it very difficult for a guy to make a living doing this art form.
    My buddy is doing just fine, he basically only does fish, will do big game for friends, but is well over a year out for fish, he raises his prices to get less work and ends up getting more. His quality sets him appart and keeps him in demand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast