Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residency problem

Default Residency problem

I know this residency thing has been hashed out, beat up, beat down, etc. But i could use some advise. I have been unfortunate in that i PCS'ed with the military from Montana to Alaska, in August about 4 years ago. As I left Montana for Alaska in August I was not able to hunt during the Montana fall season. Then i get to Alaska and couldn't hunt as a resident because of the one year residency thing. No problem. I can't afford to spend non-res money on tags so I waited. 1 seasons missed in 2 states. Now as my PCS date comes up in August of 2009 I will again miss an Alaska hunting season. If i am able to go to Wyoming as i plan/hope, I will miss that season for residents as well as they have a "generous" 90 day policy for military. Meaning that i have to reside for 90 days in order to get resident tags. 1 more season missed in 2 states. Throw in 2 more seasons missed in Alaska for deployment's and it starts to get kind of crappy. I know the missed hunts because of deployments are to be expected for me and I take full responsibility for my choice. But to be denied resident prices just due to normal PCS's eats up those years that I don't deploy, which aren't many.

Has anyone tried extending for a couple months just break the cycle? Would any commander buy off on this? Am i doomed to August PCS'ing my whole career? I don't want to start another "the military deserves this, or that" thread. Just looking for advise.

Thanks

Default Extension

You could always put in for an extension for a couple of months. Worst the commander can do is say no. I have know a lot of people that have moved there DEROS (Date Eligible to Return from Overseas) a couple of months, but they had valid reasons. Like wanted to stay till their kids got out of school or not wanting to drive out in the winter. You could try the hunting season excuse and see what happens.

I wouldnt use the hunting excuse, if you are close to finishing school or get in some classes that will take you through the season, you may be able to pull it off that way.

Default Being in the Military

Deros extensions are possible to a certain extent, but the justification has to be more than just to "hunt" we have gone thru the same ordeal at Eielson, but as you know a DEROS is for the reason that it's there to support mission capabilities, believe me when you have a DEROS and set to PCS, theres already another person slated to fill your slot, and believe me the way Air Force manning is now, they hate to double billet. Its hard to get Commanders to buy off on extensions, just to catch a huntin' season, I would come up with a better reason, but then again theres that "Integrity " thing. I was deployed several times during Huntin' season, and at Eielson seems like everyone wants to take leave during the Month of September. Unless you know someone high up the Chain to swing it for you. I know a few guys who had exceptional careers, and was groomed to be tommorows leaders, with years invested, who actually got out of the military because they didn't want to leave Alaska, I volunteered, and did the remote to Korea thing just to get to AK. I know the feeling, it was tough looking at the "Hunting Gallery" while being deployed, but just think, after you retire from your military career...You can be a HUNTIN FOOL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrinkster View Post
    I know this residency thing has been hashed out, beat up, beat down, etc. But i could use some advise. I have been unfortunate in that i PCS'ed with the military from Montana to Alaska, in August about 4 years ago. As I left Montana for Alaska in August I was not able to hunt during the Montana fall season. Then i get to Alaska and couldn't hunt as a resident because of the one year residency thing. No problem. I can't afford to spend non-res money on tags so I waited. 1 seasons missed in 2 states. Now as my PCS date comes up in August of 2009 I will again miss an Alaska hunting season. If i am able to go to Wyoming as i plan/hope, I will miss that season for residents as well as they have a "generous" 90 day policy for military. Meaning that i have to reside for 90 days in order to get resident tags. 1 more season missed in 2 states. Throw in 2 more seasons missed in Alaska for deployment's and it starts to get kind of crappy. I know the missed hunts because of deployments are to be expected for me and I take full responsibility for my choice. But to be denied resident prices just due to normal PCS's eats up those years that I don't deploy, which aren't many.

Has anyone tried extending for a couple months just break the cycle? Would any commander buy off on this? Am i doomed to August PCS'ing my whole career? I don't want to start another "the military deserves this, or that" thread. Just looking for advise.

Thanks
    You can try to scheduleyour final out-processing for 31 August, then go hunting in September before you actually leave--while you are on your enroute leave; then inprocess your next assignment inlate Sept or early Oct. It'll be a bit tight, time-wise, but on the surface, it seems do-able.

You must be in the Air Force hence the Wyoming assignment? I know the Army can do a local approval for a 120 day (3 month) extension or early departure which ever way you decide to go.

If you submit it early enough as to avoid moving to many dates around, like your replacement incoming date it should not be a problem. Again from the Army point of view, if you work with your branch in enough time for them to react they will work with you.

Once you get back to the lower 48 the time cycle will be broken. You no longer have a PCS month unless your hot for a short. I can almost guarantee if you use hunting as a reason to extend since you are now out of cycle it wont go through. Your DEROS option should have been in Jul and that would mean now your out of cycle and out of cycle anything is extremely hard. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by F-16Pointy View Post
    Once you get back to the lower 48 the time cycle will be broken. You no longer have a PCS month unless your hot for a short. I can almost guarantee if you use hunting as a reason to extend since you are now out of cycle it wont go through. Your DEROS option should have been in Jul and that would mean now your out of cycle and out of cycle anything is extremely hard. Good luck!
    Or if you really like living and hunting in Alaska you could always get out and go into the Alaska Air Guard. I hear that Eielson has a great Air Guard unit on its base .

Default just my thoughts

The price you pay for serving your country---but if I was elected presidentCard carrying members would be allowed to hunt for free in all states. But I'm not, so just keep on keepen on---it is what it is

You must be a resident of SOME place! If Wyoming or Alaska assesses residential taxes on you, you might be a resident. I am not saying you have a legal leg to stand on, but you can't be a resident of the United States without being a resident of somewhere. How could you fill out paperwork at the doctor, hospital, WIC, airport, schools, polling booths etc....

Default Roll Early

I think that REMF has it right. I would try to roll early in order to satisfy the 90 day mark for WY. If you work it right you will still be open for this fall and most of the spring bear stuff and some good fishing to boot here in AK. Then when you get to WY you will be in position for Elk, Mulies not to mention birds. I would sell it as “I would like to drive the ALCAN in the summer rather than fall” issue. If you have kids also tie in the idea of wanting to find a good school as well.

The good news is that it gets better the more years you have under your belt. Then you get to look after your troops IOT make sure that the things that are important to them are taken care off. Stay Safe

Drew

Default Lots a Varibles

A lot depends on rank and job duty for an extension. You have a replacement coming here to fill your slot too probably coming to his dream PCS. You are replacing someone down there to who may be going on his dream PCS too or maybe a forced short. There may be a emergency hole to fill for you down there too so all bets are off. Not enough time to go into manning for the military but it can work for you or against. Is your slot here being terminated, is the gaining PCS adding your slot.

The higher up the chain the less likely it is because of manning slots unless you are of course an E9 then you have the connections to stay. A good E9 if there is such a thing now days knows how to pull the strings with connections, a call to S1/Orderly House E9 and you are staying. Grab your E9 and let him help, either he will or will not and you cannot fight him. I know of an E6 who went above his E9, to Sen Stevens and got his IPCOT but about a year later the E6 career was over in the military. If you are a good troop most will try to help you. Most Commanders will abide by the E9 decision.

The best way to extend is to offer to save the Gov money by hopefully using your experience here to help train those around you mo better than they are now before PCS so they can better train replacements but again, an E3 is not in that position. Include if you have kids that you would rather PCS in June/July to allow your kids time to start and then finish school here before PCS so they can get good education.

Once down there you should not have a hard rotation date.

I would rather hunt in Wyoming than Alaska.

good luck

Establish Alaska residency. The you are eligible as a military member for other AK benefits that residents get.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Or if you really like living and hunting in Alaska you could always get out and go into the Alaska Air Guard. I hear that Eielson has a great Air Guard unit on its base .
    So is there a guard guy in the hospital? Doesnt someone have to die for you to get in......HA HA HA HA

Default Good info

Thanks for all the good information. It is funny but it seems like there is a lot of military experience on this forum, I think you guys gave me more options than my CSS would I am an Alaska resident. And I do intend to come back. I think that the leaving late August that AKroadkill mentioned would be something to think about. But as you all know when you are planning for a move you have to ship all your crap early and that can cause problems. I can just see me trying to convince the wife that we dont need to ship.....my guns, game bags, knives, packs, tents, sleeping bags, etc.

Again thanks for the good info. It will give me a start.

Default Caution

If already an Alaska resident, DO NOT apply for resident tags or any other resident privileges in another state: that costs you your Alaska residency, putting you back at square one of having to live here 12 consecutive months in order to requalify, and also sets you up for criminal prosecution if you have received any Alaska benefits during the time in which you declared residency in another state. Regardless of other states' residency requirements, it can cost you dearly in Alaska if you do claim residency elsewhere. Because Alaska has the dividend check, which is big enough that its a felony to steal or defraud, the state is very heavy handed in dealing with questionable residency issues. No opinion here either way, just an FYI to the honorable men and women in the forces.

Default PCS Problem

JFrinkster, I am new on here, but happened to read through this thread. There is some good info here, but I assume you must be a young guy (please, I'm not trying to insult you) working on your 2nd going on your third assignment by the questions you ask. The first place you should start is with your supervisor and work your way up the chain. They should be able to give you some good info/options. I have some time, so I can give you a quick rundown on a few things:

1. When you got your assignment from Montana is was just pure luck of the draw that you left in August, but it affects your DEROS in Alaska as others have pointed out. Did you already get orders to Wyoming?

2. Did you request an IPCOT? From the sounds of your post, you want to go to Wyoming (not a bad thing either, as there is great hunting all over the state), just not in August. You should have gotten your DEROS option paperwork to apply in Jun/Jul. If you didn't, then you will probably have to do an out of cycle request. Your supervisor can help you.

3. What excuse other than hunting do you have to request an extension? AFPC typically doesn't approve many, regardless what your commander says. It is all manning driven by your particular rank. If you try to extend for your kids, family, school, hunting, or just because you want to, they generally won't approve it. There is a valid manning/mission fill at your new base.

4. You may be able to get your DEROS curtailed if you are overmanned at your particular rank. Again, your supervisor should be able to help you.

5. If none of this helps, your best bet, as was mentioned, is to ask to leave on 31 Aug, and spend the first few weeks in Sept hunting. You can mail most of your gear back to the lower 48 if you didn't want to take it with you.

6. You mentioned you are an Alaska resident. Make sure that the state you get transferred to is on the "cleared list" from F&G before you purchase a resident license. If the state isn't on the list, F&G must ask the Alaska Attorney Generals office to review that states requirements to give/grant an Alaska resident who is a military member a resident license, based soley on being stationed there. If the state isn't cleared, it isn't a hard process to get it on the cleared list, but it does take some time. If you already know where you are going (Wyoming?), check now. Make sure you cover yourself by keeping all contacts with the F&G and do not buy a resident license until its cleared. Alaska, as has been pointed out, takes a hard stand on the whole residency issue, and the benefits you may receive in other states.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it helps you.

Good luck.

Moose44

Default Great info.

That is why i love this site. Tons of opinions. I like the idea of mailing my gear. I am surprised I didn't think of it as I am in the desert right now getting ready to mail a bunch of stuff home now I have never heard of this "cleared list". I am not "new" to the military. I understand that the "staying to hunt" will not fly for DEROS extention and my wife just finished school, so that is out too. I think i am screwed as far as that goes.

All of this information makes me realize that I must be careful. I am not out defraud any state of anything they deserve. I just want to be able to get resident permits in the state that I live in. There is no way I can buy non-res permits in Wyoming or any other state I move to for the duration of my tour. I am also sure I will not be able to get back to Alaska every year to hunt as a res or not, until i get stationed here again. I plan to get back to Alaska at the next available chance, but as you know there might be 2 or 3 other states in between my move back to Alaska.

I do like the idea of taking leave in August as your RNLTD is usually a couple months later than your DEROS. I guess now I just need to know how to get Wyoming or Colorado or wherever I go, resident permits without loosing my Alaska residency benefits for res hunting so when I come back I don't have to wait another year.

Any more information on the "cleared list" would be appreciated.

thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jfrinkster View Post
    I guess now I just need to know how to get Wyoming or Colorado or wherever I go, resident permits without loosing my Alaska residency benefits for res hunting so when I come back I don't have to wait another year.

Any more information on the "cleared list" would be appreciated.

thanks

When You applied for your AK State drivers license, you had to answer the question " do you/ have you claimed residency in another state" ethically/ legally, you can not claim residency in one state while trying to remain a res. in another. you can hold your Res status in a state while in the Military but only one at a time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

From ADF&G
    Some states allow military personnel to purchase resident sport licenses based on their military status. The State of Alaska Attorney General's office has approved the following states for military personnel to purchase that state's resident sport license based on their military status. They must have not done anything else to negate their residency: Colorado, Idaho, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, South Carolina, Texas.
    Your hosed on the Wyoming front. I am going to refrain from beating this long dead horse but this is a big reason that I wrote (and was ignored by) Sen Huggins this year. We now offer a program to non-res military people that is an exact mirror of what other states offer but AK residents are not allowed to partake in. Not to detract from those of you who get resident privlidges here earlier now as I am sure you are deserving, but I will not/don't support anything that gives non-resident special privledges over Alaskans.
    Good luck on your future, I agree with what has been stated that your Aug 31 date and taking a couple weeks of leave enroute would be your best chance. With you being up against the wall with the new fiscal year you are in a very tight spot! I guarantee your PCS is funded for 09 and there will be all kinds of nightmares when they do the annual funding freeze the end of Sept, beginning of Oct if you arent allready in place with your reimbursement filed. I would hate to see you be delayed in getting your Travel Voucher sorted out especially if you are out of pocket any on upfront expenses!
    Personally I would email licensehelp@fishgame.state.ak.us and provide them the Wyoming Non-res military regulations and get that cleared in writing. You will need that to provide to the PFD review auditor. Then I would plan a trip up here using your PFD money each year to hunt/fish AK then go back for the Wyoming season and have the best of both worlds all paid for by the great state of AK. Just remember to keep your boarding passes and proof you were in AK the required amount of time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast