Thread: new boat

Default new boat

I just cut a deal on a new woolridge alaskan 17.5. It is powered with a 115 e tec. I am excited to pick it up tomorow. I drove it with 3 adults in in today and it goes quite well. The only thing I had them add was a stainless 4 blade.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

This the black one from the boat shop?

Default yes it is

I am trading in my 16' flat bottom allweld. It is time for a conopy and A little more power.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Don't forget to take your father-in-law out for a ride sometime. The old geezer needs to get out more often.

Default 17 Alaskan

Make sure you get the wings on the jet foot, it really makes a difference in the boat.

Default Sweet

I had the boat out for a couple hours today. All I can say is sweet. It pops up on step and holds tight n the corners. It replaced a 16' allweld with a 50-35 honda jet.
    My family loves the windshield and canopy!
    Why do you think I need wings on the jet foot? I can not get the boat to cavitate. Do they improve performance in another way? I tried them on my honda 50 and all they did was cost me speed.

Default still loveing it

I put about 120 miles on it today. I ran down the tanana to the wood and about 12 miles up the wood. The mouth of the wood was not bad at all. I had herd horror stories about the wood and it seemed easy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I had the boat out for a couple hours today. All I can say is sweet. It pops up on step and holds tight n the corners. It replaced a 16' allweld with a 50-35 honda jet.
    My family loves the windshield and canopy!
    Why do you think I need wings on the jet foot? I can not get the boat to cavitate. Do they improve performance in another way? I tried them on my honda 50 and all they did was cost me speed.
    The boat/tunnel was designed to have the wings on the foot to help hold water in the jet in tight corners and add lift to the boat. Every boat that Wooldridge builds and installs the engine on has them in place, give them a call and they can give you more info.

I took a friends foot down this spring off a 200 merc on an Alaskan II and WB welded a set on,he said it was a big difference. He used to cavitate in tight corners and this took care of it. I talked to a new 17 Alaskan owner last week with a merc on it and he could cavitate in corners as well, he was going to get a set added on. Hope you enjoy the boat.

For what its worth, i find the wings to be more of a PITA than not. They always seem to get beat up in the shallow stuff, and they really do seem to suck speed off the boat on step. On a recent trip, i went over a shallow bar and bent them all up, so i pulled them off, and it didn't cavitate any more than with the wings (which is not much at all), and i really noticed a speed increase on step. I might just keep them off all the time. Maybe i'm totally wrong, but this is just what i have noticed on my Wooldridge.
    BTW, you will love that boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

What I have learned:

If the seats were initially installed to close to the top, they will fray. Move them about an inch inward.

Keep an eye in the rodholders, the screws constantly loosen up in the rear. So do the floorboards.

Don't spin out too hard, the nose will dive.

In 3 foot rollers keep the throttle low and slow. It will handle it better. You cannot overpower the water. Go with it, your teeth will appreciate it.

You need a fan on the window. Consider putting another wiper on the passenger window if you don't have one.

Back the trailer in the water until the fenders just go under to load. Too deep is a bad thing.

Towing another boat with a jet is tough. No bite to the water, no rudder to keep it straight. Uses lots of fuel. I towed a 14 foot freighter in many times this year. It works, but not the greatest.

When in doubt, power out.

Default I tried

to make it cavitate today. I can crank the wheel all the way at w.o.t. and the boat just turnes sharp. The only cavitation I have had was one big wave I jumped. Maybe it has to do with the hight the jet is set at. I am runing a 4 blade stainless. I will give wings a try if I see a need but so far I am happy. I have had the boat 3 days and burned about 100 gal of gas through it. Got to keep the oil companys in buisness.

100 gall. in three days Thats some serious playing around
    You should do as sportdrifter suggests and give them (wings) a try. He knows Wooldridge boats. You might like them.

I would be interested to know how much weight you can carry in the new 17 foot Alaskan?
    I had 1200 pounds in one of the older 53" bottom models, it was well over what the tag said, but could be ez to do on a hunt. It handled it just fine, took a little while to get on step and had to run it at 5100 to stay there.
    If you ever get a chance to really load it down, let us know..
    The one I had was a fine boat, if it had been 60", I woulda kept it.

Default I will load it up tomorow

or the next day and let you know. I have had 1000 lbs + 32 gal of gas and it did ok. It would still stay on step at 4200 rpm. I will try 1200 then 1500 and report back. I am going to try a pair of bolt on wings to see if I like them. If I do I will have a pair welded on.
    I am in the market for a fuel flow meter,gps(not handheld I have one of those), downrigers, and a fish finder.

If you can stay on step at 4200 w/ that weight you are doing great!
    32 gallons is another 200 pounds, I had the 115 yamaha on mine and it had the welded fins, I never flattened them out but did grind the corners off alittle bit.
    On my new boat I used bolt-ons and poceeded to flatten them out on the salcha, so for now I am going w/out and seems ok, at least w/ the bolt-on style they can be replaced or staightened w/o breaking them off, actually havent done it yet, but would be ez enuf to make at 80 bucks a pop.
    Maybe the weld on are tougher???
    I was counting fuel when i figured i had 1200 pounds in my boat.

Default weight report

I now have about 500 gal of gas through this boat. It will run on step at 4500 rpm with 1200 lbs + 30 gal gas + two men + two boys. Total weight about 1900 lbs. I prefered runing at 4900 rpm with this load. Still had some power to spare but not a lot.
    It ran sweet with my moose, 2 men, 2 boys, geer, and a full tank. (I shot my bull less than 20 min from launch).
    I love this boat!

Thats a good load, you should be pleased with what it will haul, what a diffrence a 7" wider hull makes....
    How about fuel usage? did you get a chance to calculate how much fuel at a particular speed? Wooldridge has a performance test with the Alaskan w/115 E-tec, of course its very light in the test.

Default yes

I have figured fuel consumption. I can get about 140 miles with 28 gal of gas at any rpm below 5000 with 1000lbs. Over 5000rpm it drops fast.

Whats your max RPM on the E-TEC?
    I can get ~5200 on my 115 Evinrude FICHT ('03).
    Man, thats one heck of a load. I am pretty much maxxed out with 5 adults and overnight gear, figure 1200lbs or so, plus full gas and engine. Thats maxxed to get on step. It will haul more, but just plow along, this is on the old style hull. If you can get that kind of load on the wider hull, like Gramps said, thats pretty darn good

Default 5400 rpm is it