Thread: Eklutina Lake

Default Eklutina Lake

I know you can take ATV's into Eklutina. Wondering if anyone that has been there can answer some questions?

On what days are ATV authorized? Go they have to have a special sticker or registration to ride there? Any one know how much the parking pass is? Can you make it to the landing strip on an ATV? and how difficult is it?

Thanks in advance.

ATVs are authorized Sunday through Wednesday
    No special stickers or anything required.
    If you don't have the annual window sticker, I think daily parking passes are $5--you can get them there. They do check, and do ticket those without passes.
    Actually, you can get several miles beyond the runway.
    It's probably the easiest trail in the area.

They can turn you back if you don't have the State Park registration on you atv. Can get it from DMV. Was just up about two weeks back, good easy ride,

Edd, do you mean the snowmachine trail sticker, or is there something else we are supposed to have?

Default Both

I think its for both snow machines and ATV's for State Parks. I may be wrong, but had the park ranger tell me to get it registered or not come back.

Which is totally opposite that the ranger told me earlier in the summer. The one I talked to said not to worry, but snowmobiles are required to have one.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

This topic actually comes up every year. You DO NOT need the registration “snowmachine” sticker for your atv to ride at Eklutna in the summer. Once there is snow on the trail and it is groomed, then your “atv” becomes a defacto “snowmachine” and you do need the sticker……………… so simple yes?

Of course it isn’t, and they know that. It only took me about 10 phone calls, a trip to the DMV and several e-mails to the parks folks to get the strait skinny.

Government………………. What do you expect.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I have been riding at Eklutna Lake since 1997. I probably go out there 3 or 4 times each year (from break-up to September). I talk to the Park Rangers almost every time I am out there. In fact, I only park beside their office building. They always come out a look at my Rhino and special edition grizzly. I have never been asked about a registration sticker or asked to see one. It is not needed!!! Parking is $5.00...you will get a ticket without a parking pass!!! ATVs and UTVs are allowed Sunday - Wednesday.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

****, I have beeen up to see the park ranger 3 times this year, and have yet to find him in the office. I am PO'ed because they changed the upper parking lot, so only day users can use it. Last time I saw him was three years back when he told me get it registered. Course we do have a new park ranger, he is peeing higher on the wall to make his mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    ****, I have been up to see the park ranger 3 times this year, and have yet to find him in the office. I am PO'ed because they changed the upper parking lot, so only day users can use it. Last time I saw him was three years back when he told me get it registered. Course we do have a new park ranger, he is peeing higher on the wall to make his mark.
    I see and talk to the ranger every time I go out there. There are actually two rangers. They both are very nice and always come out when they see my Rhino. They always want to look it over and see what I have done to it since the last time they saw it.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

So Mudd, are we running a commercial for the Rino or talking about Eklutna. As I said, been up three times this year, no park ranger. Even called his office and no return. I used to camp in the upper camp ground which is now parking for only atv use daily. No thanks, I don't want to camp in the woods. Again this new park ranger is trying to make his mark.

I've been up there twice this year. One time overnight and another for two nights. No trouble at all parking in the upper lot as long as I paid for the correct amount of days of parking. In fact, I asked the ranger where he'd like me to park the first time I stayed overnight and he said to park close to the ranger office because it was less likely anyone would mess with it. This was in June and in July. Have they changed it to day use only in the last month or two?

The second time I was there I came across the head ranger driving his UTV. We stopped and talked for a bit and he was nice as could be. He even took a small bag of trash that my daughter and I had cleaned up from the trail so I wouldn't have to deal with it.