Thread: Another Shrimping Question

Default Another Shrimping Question

Have only been shrimping for two years now. I've prospected around PWS and have found a few productive spots. But this year it seems that I can not get away from the octopus. It gets me alittle mad bringing up 5 pots with a good haul of shrimp, and then finding an octopus in one trap and a few empty shrimp shells. (Last week had two in two separate pots and a third hanging onto another on the outside.) I'm using Steve's pots which have fairly small openings for the shrimp to enter. I have seen other pots with large openings that get all kinds of critters in them. Thought i was immune to this but have found out differently. Any way to try and avoid this? I like my current location as there are quite a few STEEP and DEEP spots. I try to get the pots down in 550 to 600'. Upside is I have alot of bait for halibut fishing Lat year I did not have this problem but I never went deeper than 400' (and a lot less shrimp). Any thoughts??

Thanks
    Henry

Besides bate, you can eat them.

I haven't been able to get out and drop my pots, so haven't had an octopus, or shrimp problem

This seems to be the year for octopus. We have pulled at least 10 from our pots this year and use them for bait. The brighter color N Pacific ones are good to eat (Alaska Cookbook has info on cleaning/prep/cooking). I haven't tried the darker colored ones...use for bait. Don't throw them back, it's like pulling the fox from the chicken house and setting him outside with the door open. The size of opening in in the pot will not prevent octopus from entering unless it is "closed" and then you won't have to worry about catching shrimp.