Thread: Parker Hale with Santa Barbara Action Parts

Default Parker Hale with Santa Barbara Action Parts

I'm having a tough time trying to find a bolt stop for this action. The gun was loaned out and somehow the bolt stop got lost. High stress followup shots can be a real challenge when you have to reinsert the bolt in the gun. Any help in locating this part would be appreciated.

try a standard M98 bolst stop assy...

also, GPC Numrich on line might have the OEM parts..

Rifle was also sold by Montgomery Wards and so marked, Foremost I think

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticKnight View Post
    I'm having a tough time trying to find a bolt stop for this action. The gun was loaned out and somehow the bolt stop got lost. High stress followup shots can be a real challenge when you have to reinsert the bolt in the gun. Any help in locating this part would be appreciated.

Try any Mauser 98 parts or 96 parts. All of the Parker Hale's Santa Barbra, Santa Fa actions I've seen have been FN actions. But I haven't seen them all. This would be my first try for the part. If you have any Mauser based rifle, pull the part and try it first before you buy.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the replies.

I figured a 98 Mauser stop would work and ordered one right off. Unfortunately it isn't the same. The 98 Mauser stop is bigger all around. This stop location is significantly smaller. Haven't tried a 96 cause I figured it was the same as the 98. I couldn't find it at Numrich. The Monkey Wards suggestion gives me another option to pursue. I've sent some pictures to a couple of local gun smiths that I thought might be able to find the part but so far no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticKnight View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I figured a 98 Mauser stop would work and ordered one right off. Unfortunately it isn't the same. The 98 Mauser stop is bigger all around. This stop location is significantly smaller. Haven't tried a 96 cause I figured it was the same as the 98. I couldn't find it at Numrich. The Monkey Wards suggestion gives me another option to pursue. I've sent some pictures to a couple of local gun smiths that I thought might be able to find the part but so far no luck.

Can you reduce the size of the part you have? Better to have to much and make it smaller than to have to little.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Can you reduce the size of the part you have? Better to have to much and make it smaller than to have to little.
    Since the extractor is part of the bolt stop, I don't think modifying it is possible. However, if I had a milling machine, I could probably enlarge the bolt stop port in the action. I stopped by a gun smith shop this week. He quoted me $350 to do the machining.

Know anyone who would like to buy a nice Parker Hale that is missing just one tiny part???

Default A few POI re: Santa Barbara...

These actions have been used on a few different brands. They were made in Spain. They're serviceable, but not the 'best'...Parker Hale used them to assemble rifles, and if you research the rifle a bit, you'll find that the proof marks on there are British, from BSA, or Birmingham Small Arms. These things covered a lot of ground before they got to the states! P-H also used some *******ized actions that were a morph of M98 and M1903, using a casting, that used a lot of surplus military parts from both rifle series as they became available.
    There was an outfit years back that used the Santa Barbara barreled actions in a rifle 'kit' that had finished metal work, but a semi-inlet Fajen or Bishop stock that the purchaser could final finish. I used one that I picked up about twenty years ago, and was totally unimpressed with it. It shot okay, but I also got rid of the thing as quickly as possible....
    You might keep an eye out on Gunbroker, etc. or post a wanted ad on those sites for your bolt stop/ejector assembly.
    Sorry I'm not more help than that, your only other option might be to have someone with a mill work over a 98 for you.