Thread: Bike Trailer

Default Bike Trailer

We are heading off here in two weeks from today up into 14C. My fiance drew a sheep tag and this will be her first hunt. She said that I'm officially her guide, so I've been doing a lot of the scouting and getting things arranged. (The fun stuff)
    Does anyone know where I can find a tow behind buggy/trailer for a mountain bike? I think something like that would be the best way to go. If not I will just resort to the good old fashioned, "suck it up and pack it out" method.
    Anyone have any experience with those bike trailers with 100+ pounds on them?

Thanx

You can use a "BOB" trailer behind a mountain bike they have one wheel and track well and aren't too wide. They do make the handling quite different as the front wheel on the bike gets a little light. We have also used a Burley or Chariot child carrier they handle the weight better but are wider which makes them more difficult of some trails. You can get any of these at REI or some bike shops

Default Paramount Bikes

I've seen them at Paramount bikes near Carrs huffman in Anchorage

Default yes

personally used them with substantial weights. Worth the money for sure. BOB trailers that is. Got mine at REI.

For what its worth, don't get the Ibex, the suspension system really doesn't work, and it defeats the whole KISS principle.
    They do have a weight limit, but i can't remember what it is.

The listed weight limit on the BOB trailers is 70 pounds. I imagine you could take more (I've done about 60), but steering and braking would be a bit more difficult. I have the one without the shock, and have never felt the need to add one. The ride has always been plenty smooth.

Default trailers

I've run just slightly over 100 lbs in a child trailer before. They are wider so consider your trail before making a purchase. I feel that 2 wheeled trailers have less interference with the bike under heavy load as the weight is close to the trailer axle, making for significantly lighter tongue weight. A single wheeled trailer typically suspends most of the weight between the rear bike axle and the trailer axle making for a heavier tongue weight.

The BOB is a solid built trailer, and for the price you probably won't find a better deal for the weight capacity. Don't get the Ibex model - not worth the $.

Default bike trailer

Did a 14c hunt eklutna with bikes this year. We were not successful but I can tell you were the sheep are after wearing out three pairs of socks. By the way the feeling in my left big toe has still not returned. I have a buddy that owns a small bike rental business and he rents BOB's. If you are intrested in his number PM me and I will give you the contact information.