Thread: cold weather jet boating

Default cold weather jet boating

New to the jet boat world, purchased a 23' Duckworth Magnum, 8.1 HO/212/4.0 and trying to figure it out.
    I want to use it late in the year for duck hunting but not sure what needs to be done when pulling it out in sub-freezing temperatures. Is there some special draining process that I need to go through so it won't freeze up over night?

You shouldnt have to do anything to the motor, the manifolds on all the newer Kodiaks are self draining, you will need to drain your sand trap if you have one. Also make sure the hoses going to it are drained all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    New to the jet boat world, purchased a 23' Duckworth Magnum, 8.1 HO/212/4.0 and trying to figure it out.
    I want to use it late in the year for duck hunting but not sure what needs to be done when pulling it out in sub-freezing temperatures. Is there some special draining process that I need to go through so it won't freeze up over night?

I always put RV antifreeze in mine. Just take the input raw water hose off and I use my garden sprayer to push it into the system till I see it drip out the exhaust(if you close your sandtrap). Takes only a couple of minutes to do and is cheap insurance in case you have a low spot that doesn't properly drain. RV antifreeze doesn't harm the enviroment so you can put it right back in the water without an issue. Most RV antifreeze also contains a corrosion inhibitor which is good for your metal parts stored over the winter.

The most likely place to find standing water is the exchanger, manifolds and oil and/or power steering(if you have it) coolers.

Thanks for the help, exactly what I needed to know.