Thread: "Do it Yourself" Black Bear

Default "Do it Yourself" Black Bear

Hello,
    This is my first post here and was hoping for a little help. Long story short is I ended up with enough airline credits to come to Alaska. Thought about flying in to Anchorage or Kenai, rent a SUV and do some sight seeing and bear hunt for 5 or 6 days. I've done a search here and gathered some information but still have a few questions. I'm 55 years old and hunted my whole life but have zero experience in Alaska. I'm in reasonable health and a little short on money.

Is it better to fly in to Anchorage or Kenai for this type of hunt? My plans are to find some spots where I can hike a mile or so off the road and glass. Without giving away your honey holes, can someone give me an idea where to look? Is the 3rd week of September a good time to try this? What town is the best place to stay?

The way I'm reading the regs, the meat doesn't have to be carried out in the fall. Is this right? When a bear tag is purchased, do you also buy a seal for the hide? If luck came my way, would like to have the skull bleached and the hide tanned up there and then shipped. Would also like to have a bear rug but can't afford it right now. Can the hide be tanned for a future rug? What are the important measurements to give to a future taxidermist? Iíve caped elk and deer so donít think a bear would be a problem.

Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Default Black

Xitnet,
    I am not from Alaska but from Florida .I am going back up tomorrow to Moose and Bear hunt on the Kenai.I would fly into Anchorage and get a car from there.T will be back on the 14th .Repost this on then if I dont remember and I will let you know what I saw and where .

Thanks Robert. Good luck on your hunt!

Default Spring

This assumes that your airline miles will last until spring and that you are more interested in bear hunting than sight-seeing.

Wait until May, fly into Ketchikan, have someone fly you to Prince of Wales Island, and hunt black bears for 5 or so days. The meat is great, the fur is wonderful, and the bears are big. The weather isn't very nice.

However, if you are more interested in seeing Alaska at a great time of year, don't listen to me

Thanks Phil,
    Guess sight seeing is as important as the hunt itself. Might even try a day of fishing. Just looking for a good time and the bear hunt gives me the excuse to go.

Default Cant get Both

Unless you have really good luck you should decide if you want to hunt of sight see! IN 5 - 6 days Trying to find a black bear at the end of moose season in the area you plan on going ( kenai area) might be tough.
    South East alaska had bigger bears as well as More bears! It's also a beautiful place.

If you want a bear go to the south east. You can fish down there too also crab , etc.

Do a little research on POW Island and you will see you goal of getting a bear in 5 days is probably around 75%

On the kenai I would say without a local to show you the right place to walk in your odds are mabey 25%.

Either way bring a camera and rain gear and you will fall in love with our great state just like every real hunter/fisherman.

Good luck.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Thanks for the advice Motorboat,
    I'll Google POW and see what I can find. I'm not set on one area and it sounds like POW might be better.

Default budget thing

Also - be aware that everything in alaska is more expensive. Fun times here can be hard on tight budgets.

Send me a PM I'll send you a list of spots too do both. Sick of seeing more bears than moose! I've done hunts on whats called "the loop" several times to placate family that just didn't really want to hunt.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thanks Rick. PM sent.

I would look at th Resurrection Trail on the Kenai...get up high and glass. You will more than likely see some bears!

I'll secound that one too Judd, exit glacier area has had decent bear populations in the past too.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default PM'ed Ya

I sent you a PM, I'll tell ya where we just saw 15 blackies in 3 days down Kenai way.

You guys are GREAT!
    Thank you!