Thread: Special Considerations/Shooting in Alaska

Default Special Considerations/Shooting in Alaska

I am curious as to any special consideration that are required for guns in Alaska, I have heard that some gun oils used in the lower 48 jam or freeze in Alaska winters, I'm wondering what special considerations a hunter has to contend with in the extremes of Alaska hunting, thanks

I've used a couple bottle from Nitroman on here concocted up, great stuff and I'd recommend it to anyone. No freezing semi-autos even at -20*F.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Rain

The biggest issue I usually have hunting in Alaska is - rain. That's why all my rifles are stainless with synthetic stocks. As far as oil is concerned, if I think cold is an issue, I get rid of any oil in the mechanisms of my rifles (all are bolt action also). I've never had any trouble with my rifles functioning.

Stainless and synthetic for all my current hunting rifles. I thoroughly degrease and remove all oil. I lube with powdered graphite.

stainless is the only way to go CLP for lubw used sparinly

I've been out wolf hunting on snowmachines at about -25 F or slightly lower and haven't had any issues with lube (Break Free CLP) binding things up even with snow packed into the action. Of course I was using a Daewoo K2 and that by itself could be a reason for flawless function.

For corrosion protection in the marine air of Aleutian Hell, I've been using Bullfrog rust blocker and lube on the outside of my guns. It dries to a sort of waxy feel and I haven't had any rust issues yet.

Of course I tested it on our cruiser shotguns which tend to be abused and neglected for long periods of time. I had on rust spot that needed removed because some miscreant I had in the front seat nust have put his foot against the barrel removing some of the Bullfrog and leaving some mud behind.
    Now what ?