Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nunivak muskox spring hunt info request

Question Nunivak muskox spring hunt info request

My wife drew a Nunivak spring muskox tag. I am trying to set up the hunt from Iraq for her. I have seen on previous threads that the phone numbers are listed for the guides and transporters. I do not have the amount of time needed to call all of them. If anyone has email addresses or possibly a website to contact these gentleman it would be greatly appreciated. If internet information is not available, an updated phone list will work and I will just have to make time to call. I am compiling a list of questions I have and I will send it to any hunter who wants to help me out. If any other hunters who were blessed with this hunt in the past would like to answer questions or post any information, I thank you in adavnce. I would or would not do a specific thing for sure if I ever get drawn again thoughts from you would really help. This will be my first 100% not do-it-yourself hunt. Charting into unknown territory. I have heard all of the guides and transporters are top-notch. Thanks again.

Default Musk Ox Hunt

I did this hunt last March, sent you a PM.

Default did a search online...

Found only 2 outfitters there, Nunivak Outfitters, & Ed Shaving's Sr. no website...

Default Send me a PM

Send me a PM I can work on helping you get things worked out, I live out here.

ADF&G usually sends out a list of winners to all of the guides and transporters on the Island. They usually solicite business by giving you a call.

Abe David, he's a transporter. 827-8512. It's a bummer Era does not fly out there anymore. It was a lot cheaper booking when they did because they were partner with Alaska. If you do get stuck there at MYU, make sure you call Alaska at Bethel and reserve a seat on the day you are able to fly out. Otherwise you might have to spend a night in Bethel because once the weather is nice, everyone from the villages just piles into Bethel to catch the limited seats to ANC. Great experience, good luck.

Question Anymore info

I will keep the Bethel phone number in my wallet. Thanks for the info all. I know there is a lot more folks on this site who have done this hunt. Share the info.

Question Airlines

So who is now flying into MYU now that Era is out?

Other options for ANC to BET are Grant and Frontier. We ended up using Frontier to get back to Anchorage after we missed our connection and got stuck in Bethel for a night. Give yourself at least a few hours in Bethel between flights. Good thing about Frontier is no TSA security.

I've heard some good things about Abe David from some people who have gone with him.

Thumbs up Muskox

We went last spring with James Whitman, 1st class. I drew a tag this time and we are going back with James in March. 827-8620

Good Luck and Thanks

Default Grant and hageland

Grant still has two flights a day to Nunivak, one in the morning and one in the evening. Hageland has added a flight to Nunivak as well, they come out about 1:30 in the afternoon. Round trip right now is about 270.

Default price increase

Do the flights from Bethel to Nunivak go up in price on short notice like the other flights or stay the same?

Default Usually stay the same...

Unless they increase the price...Ever since Era went out of Business, Grant & Hageland's jacked the price up 2 fold, for numerous reasons, the biggest one was feul cost, & the 2nd reason was trying to recoup some of the loss with the Era Aviation competition...Look to Yute Air for some more inexpensive costs...Good luck...

Default same price

gogoalie the price to and from nunivak on grant and hageland is the same as before ERA left town. 270

What is a ballpark price one could expect to pay to do this hunt once drawn?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

When I went with Abe David in 1996 he wanted $1500. a person. We had 4 of us going so he let us all go at the same time for $4000.00. We arrived in Mekoryuk at about 10AM and had 5 Musk Ox on the ground by 6PM.

Default Not for a bull?

Allen in 96 did one in the group draw a bull tag? Bull tags are a bit more spendy out here. I am sure some who have paid may chime in here.

I've gone with Charlie Spud twice, and am going again this spring with a friend who drew. Charlie's great to do this hunt with. 827-8065

Default Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    What is a ballpark price one could expect to pay to do this hunt once drawn?
    For one person going alone, I would budget $3500 -- $4500, plus taxidermy.

----------
    My wife's first hunt ever was for muskox in 2005. Prices are the best I can remember for her and the "guide" - good thing I work real cheap.

$1800 Transporter
    $500 Transporter Fee for companion
    $200 Gratuity

$500 Muskox Tag
    $35 License and draw application (luck of the first time)
    $862 Flights to Bethel & Mekoryuk (2 people)

$000 Ship Meat & Hide from Mekoryuk to Bethel (Era forgot to weigh it)
    $000 Ship Meat & Hide from Bethel to Anchorage (AK Air forgot to weigh it)
    $50 Alaska Air reservation change fee - (to a flight connection we had no chance of making)
    $100 Extra night stuck in Bethel for missed connection (Bethel Inn = horrible)
    $365 Flight back to ANC on Frontier rather than staying any longer in Bethel (priceless)
    $50 Miscellaneous (Food in Bethel, shipping meat boxes to MYU, etc)
    $4462 SUBTOTAL

$4650 Taxidermy (of course you need a full body mount in 1500 sqft house)
    $9112 TOTAL

Default total cost

I have done alot of homework on this hunt. I have not went on this hunt yet. May be some unexpected costs associated. For my wife and I to go we plan on shelling out around $5,000. This includes transporter, airfare, meat shipping, taxidermist (head mount), meat cutting, and having a great time.

Thanks for the tally guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast