Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move over Honda....make Room for The KING!

Default Move over Honda....make Room for The KING!

Well as a long time advocate of Honda fourwheelers I have to admit that I was very sad to see my Honda go bye bye, but I dont think she'll be missed much. I ended up boiling down my two choices to the King Quad 750AXI and the Grizzly 700 and after putting my mitts all over both of them and finally getting to drive both of them, the King one me over. Man I cant believe what I have been missing all along. I am pissed off at Honda for making me switch brands but Honda is so far behind in current atv technology that its not even funny! Heres a few pics of the King! It was kind of funny because I was very anxious to get here picked up today and ended up shooting a moose in my neighborhood with my bow this afternoon so I had to hurry up and butcher it so I could get my KQ picked up. You might see the head in the background.

Traitor!!!

Just kidding of course. Congrats on the new machine!!

AkHunter

You sound like my son, he's been calling me a traitor since I decided to sell my Honda, but after he rode the KQ last night he was all smiles. Lots of power and a very smooth ride will do that!...grin

Congrats, Roland, on the machine and moose! lol!
    I have to agree, I'm a Honda guy, but I was disappointed and had to switch too. Honda took too long to make the improvements I wanted in my bike choice.

Umm...way too many toys going on there, bro....<Grin>

I'd love to have a new machine for just trail riding and such but with the high cost of fuel and such it just ain't in the cards. Plus I cannot sell my Honda, i've ridden them way to long and really like them a lot. Now if I could just keep my Honda and have another machine for riding trails I would be 1 happy rider.

Thats just it, I have always used my Hondas primarily for hunting and I didn't realize that there are a lot of new machines out there that do the hunting thing for you and also provide an incredibly fun ride and some added bennies in performance over the Hondas. The primary features are, Independent suspension all the way around, add to that a true 4 wd (W/ Diff Lock), more ground clearance, and I could no longer defend Honda for anything other than reliability and from doing a bunch of research it sounds like as long as you dont buy a Polaris (grin) all the big makes are making some just as reliable quads.

I thought I'd add my final decision making process between the KQ 750 and the Grizzly 700. Lots of guys have asked me why didn't I get the Grizzly so this was my notes ...

Heres the good and the bad as far as I could see it and the things that I made my decision based on

King Quad

(Good)

Very smooth running engine almost purrs, and it started with the push of the button instantly at 39 degrees after being outside all night near freezing
    Throttle was more responsive, when you push the lever your gone
    Transmission was very quiet at idle and when under load and shifted very smoothly
    Suspension was much better than the Griz to me, absorbs the ruts and chop with no effort, felt very stable at all times
    Shifter was very smooth moving through the gears

(The Bad)

No Power Steering!
    Kind of small racks (front and rear), an easy fix

Griz

(Good)

Power steering, it was kick azz! Even with diff lock engaged
    Very plush and soft seat.
    Bigger racks (front and back)

(The Bad)

Engine runs kind of rough (sounds like chains rattling), was a bit hard to start and shakes (vibration) real bad at idle and under load ( I started 3 different models to make sure)
    The belt /trans was very noisey at idle, almost like something was slapping internally ( Heard it on all 3 models I tested)
    Suspension seemed more jittery in the ruts and bumps, throwing me around a little more than the KQ
    The shifter was choppy and didn't slide through the gears as smoothly as the KQ

Default Congrats

Roland,

You've moved up in technology and ride! That is the one knock on the Honda's no suspension (per se) and no differential lock (and if anyone says it doesn't matter, they really have no clue how important it is). My brother has a yamaha grizz and is buying another on Sat. I was a kind quad man (the old ones) and may get a new kind quad like yours. My 6 wheeler is **** impressive as it just made a run all the way to the Gerstle River glacier. Talk about crossing the river with zero problems! Where I would go straight across or even make my machine go where I wanted, the 4 wheeler would "float" down quite a ways. Congrats and enjoy your machine!

Default Congrats

What made you sway away from Arctic Cat? The new 700 looks rather impressive. I will be looking to buy as soon as I get some debt paid off.

You are absolutely correct Northway, I rode through stuff today that would have challenged my Honda greatly in 4wd, and I did with the Zuke in 2wd. That IRS is simply awesome, but then again 722cc's is a whole bunch more fun than 426cc's too!....grin

Quote Originally Posted by windswept View Post
    What made you sway away from Arctic Cat? The new 700 looks rather impressive. I will be looking to buy as soon as I get some debt paid off.
    If most of your is spent mudding the Arctic Cat is King, but I didn't like how the AC rode, they are very top heavy and the suspensions are very stiff. I could see me flipping it side hilling in Tundra in about 3 seconds flat!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    If most of your is spent mudding the Arctic Cat is King, but I didn't like how the AC rode, they are very top heavy and the suspensions are very stiff. I could see me flipping it side hilling in Tundra in about 3 seconds flat!
    When I buy oil filters for my AC they somtimes come in a Suzuki box. Looking at your pictures your suspension looks exactly like my AC. I think soon the only difference between them will be the stickers.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe that Suzuki motors are in a couple brands of 4wheelers with other names on em and I am thinking the 700 Arctic Cat is one of em. You are right they all look very similar........except Hondas'...grin

Congrats on the new toy. Those King Quad's are nice four-wheelers. Looks like you had 27" mud lites added?

Do those come in red???

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Do those come in red???

Yes they do, I test drove a red 750! Why do you ask?????grin

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Congratulations on your choice of machine and new ride. I too made the switch from a Honda 450ES to a KQ700 a couple of years ago and have been very pleased. There are a couple of things that I will add to your list of negatives though. First off, go ahead and order yourself a couple sets of rear CV Boot replacement kits from Suzuki. Yep, I know they are $80 but trust me………. You will eventually need them. Especially if you put on aftermarket A-arm protectors as they actually do more harm by holding in Rocks and sticks. Secondly, get familiar with draining the belt drive, removing the cover and cleaning the clutches. And get a spare O-ring for the cover to replace the one you will surely pinch putting the cover back on. Nothing like a belt drive full of muddy water to make your new KQ sit on the trail motionless as you figure out what to do…….

As for that super cushy and wonderful independent rear suspension, just don’t get it stuck without a winch. It aint like the old Honda were you could hork the back end up and scoot her over to get a fresh bite.

And the last thing, but most important (they may have changed it on the 750, so have a look) is to build and install a deflector for the L/H wheel well that will keep the tire from slinging mud onto the back side of the radiator. If you don’t, the mud will pack on there and dry, and you will have a heck of a time with overheating.

Now for a couple of cool modds you may be interested in: Heated handgrips………. I use the stock Arctic Cat ones and they work GREAT. Cant imagine riding without them.

Suzuki horn kit! Yea I know it sounds stupid, but how often have you screamed or whistled at that buddy of yours that never seems to look back? Comes in real handy and doesn’t cost much.

Reverse light! Beats the heck out of backing off into the ditch in the middle of the night, and your buddies will think its cool. I rigged up my own, but there are several models on the market.

Mirrors! Another one that seems stupid, but you would be surprised how often you use them, and how much better your neck feels after a day of riding because you didn’t have to wrench it around constantly to check on your buddy, wife, or kid that is following you.

One of the best pieces of advise I can give is for you to check out this forum

http://www.nyrocatv.com/

They are the do all end all for the KQ series.

Here is a recent photo of mine in the foreground. Taken last Tuesday at Hatchers Pass. and another of the Wife's and mine from last year.

Hope to see you on the trail one day!

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thanks for the tips Alan, I have already found that website and there is a wealth of King Quad knowledge there. I had read about the drain plug for the belt housing, and I have read about a lot of guys tearing up cv boots with aftermarket cv boot guards so I think I am gonna leave mine stock. Having already ran it through a bunch of Muskeg swamp, I did notice that lots of junk gets wrapped around them cv shafts and boots, I cant imagine that this is a Suzuki only problem though, cuz the design is almost the same amongst all the IRS with the exception of different cv boot guard designs. I went through quite a bit of mud today and specifically checked the radiator as I had read about the overheating issues on older models but I did not have much mud at all on my radiator so they must have done something. Man, I am loving this thing, thats for sure. My kid doesn't want to get off it either, he loves riding it too. Once again, thanks for all the pointers, it is hard when you know a machine so well and then you replace it and dont know what is what!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I am glad that you are enjoying your new machine! And the Nyroc site is just packed with good information and modifications. And I agree with you about the CV boot issues in that they are not necessarily just a “Suzuki” problem but rather apply to most of the IRS machines.

One more thing that I should mention is the parking brake; all of these new big CC machines have more than enough power to drive with the parking brake on. So when you let your buddy or wife or whom ever ride off on the thing make sure they have taken the parking brake off, or it will build up enough heat in the rear diff (its an internal wet brake) that it will boil all of the diff fluid out and wear the heck out of the brake disks…………… seen it first hand………. Twice.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Congrats

I saw your machine this morning I just might have to upgrade now-- and thanks for the meat today Thumbs up here!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast