Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 hours till sheep '08

Default 15 hours till sheep '08

Wish me luck folks I am headed out tomorrow, my permit kicks off on the 5th and I am just about done getting all the last minute odds and ends together. I have an 8 mile bike ride followed by a 10 mile hike to get done tommorrow, then the hard part starts! Man I am PUMPED! Just curious for anyone who has been back in the Chugach/Eklutna area this time of year I assume that planes are fairly common in the 14C sheep mountains. I picked up a pen flare for safety which will be totally useless if there is no one there to see it! I am planning on playing it safe but is it reasonable to expect a plane to fly through ever day or two? I was also curious if anyone has used a Cell phone back in Eklutna? I will ride my bike all the way out to the Highway if I need to before calling for a pickup but it would be nice to call before I start the bike ride out!
    I will write up the hunt regardless of success/"failure". I have been planning this hunt for almost 2 years starting when my wife and I decided to leave our military careers and return back home to AK. I found this site while serving at Balad AB Iraq last year and SOOOO many people have helped me plan this since then that I can't think everyone enough!!

do it like ya mean it man!! best of luck!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Sheep hunt '08

Thats Funny, I found this website while at Balad myself (Oct'06-Apr'07) but I've been a huntin' fool since I've been back.

I do notice one thing about sheep hunting...it becomes a mental game out there, and theres a time you just want to give up, but there is that drive, that takes alot of PRIDE and DESIRE to keep going, huntin' the white Ram is a tough feat for all of us...Good luck to you, and will be looking forward to your hunt report, take alot of Pics...whether you get one or not, the bottom line is.........Your Doing it, and your getting out into some awesome country !!!!! Enjoy.....................CK

GO DO IT LUJON! Best of luck man and cherish the momments, mountain hunting, ahhhhhhhh, nothing better!

GOOD LUCK dude,I know you'll pull it off.Daniel

Man, I'm excited for you! Seriously, I recall my first sheep hunt like it was yesterday and it is among my most treasured outdoors memories. I remember the hope as I set out into the mountains, the excitement when I saw the sillouette of that first skylined ram, the nervousness when I realized that one of them was legal and that I would have to seal the deal, the elation when that I first touched the still warm ram, and the absolute misery that I felt on the pack out when I questioned my own physical and mental capabilities. Good, good stuff. I can't wait to hear how it went, my friend. Keep us posted.

Default first sheep hunt

as my ole daddy would say, "put the pedal to the metal". Good luck man, I wish I was out there with you.
    Don

Best of luck! Look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back. Be safe out there!

Where are you going? I have 144 hours til I go!

Troy

DS126 Hunter creek, Permit starts midnight tonight and I am 1 hour late in leaving! I am headed out the door now, just weighed the pack and I am a little heavy, 57lbs total but probably 20lbs + is food. Well I'm out, good luck everyone!!

Kill a big one!!!

Call me tomorrow I can give you lots of information as I did this hunt already this year. Just so you know it is a 10.5 mile bike ride than the hike. Lots of bears back in there expect to see 3 a day. I can tell you where three big sheep were two weeks ago. I also was able to see a wolverine back in there. I will PM my phone number to you.

No phones will work even around the lake. I contacted someone who was going down out of the lake campground to call my wife when they got out eklutna. I was wiped after 6 days of hunting.

FYI I lost 9LBS in 6 days.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghardak View Post
    Call me tomorrow I can give you lots of information as I did this hunt already this year. Just so you know it is a 10.5 mile bike ride than the hike. Lots of bears back in there expect to see 3 a day. I can tell you where three big sheep were two weeks ago. I also was able to see a wolverine back in there. I will PM my phone number to you.
    Nice offer, but I think you missed him. According to his earlier posts, he left earlier today.

Well this will be short...kind of like my trip...I did the bike ride no problem. I hiked up to ~3200' mark at about 3 miles in and it was getting dark so I picked a place to camp and settled in for the night. I woke up about 230am in a cold sweat and nauseous. Thought about crawling out of the tent and solving the nausea for good but remembered all the bear sign I had seen on the walk up and decided to see if it would settle. 345am the nausea had somewhat subsided and I was able to finally get up and empty my bladder. I crawled back into the bag and went through a couple more sweat/fever cycles. Ultimate misery! About 1pm yesterday I came to the conclusion that there was no way I was going to be able to salvage things the way I was, I could barely heft the pack so no way was I going to haul a ram out if I were so blessed. I have no idea how I stumbled down the mountain and retrieved my bike. I found that the trailer had caused the rear tire to skew and rub the frame resulting in a ridiculous amount of drag but I managed to 1/2 ride and 1/2 push the bike out. I got to the eklutna lake entrance and ended up having to continue on the bike out another 3 miles before I got a cell phone connection and called my wife to come drag me home with my tail planted firmly between my legs... I didn't move another step from the moment I contacted my wife, I don't know how I would have made it much further if I had too. I got home around dark and managed to eat a bit before passing out.
    I have certainly gained some respect for those of you that do this solo on the regular and I may attempt it again one day as I enjoy being alone on moose hunts but I have never been more alone than laying on that mountain side sweating out a fever.
    Well that's pretty much it I am hoping to be able to regroup and try to salvage something of this tag... thats all for me for now I am just disgusted and horribly dissapointed...

I'm really sorry to hear that, LuJon. The permit ends on the 17th, right? I know the idea of going again probably sounds terrible right now, but hopefully this will pass quickly.

LuJon, Few things worse than being sick in the field, wish it worked out better for you, but a least your home and healthy.

I've hunted Hunter Creek before and might be able to point you in the right direction, send a PM if your going to take another stab at it.

Bummer man, sorry to hear of the bad experience. Hope you recover soon for another assault on that permit!

Sorry to hear that you got sick. Getting sick in the field is my worst fear. I have been suffering from chronic nausea and sweat bouts since I returned from Iraq. Hope you recover and fill that tag.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I am trying to put together a 3-4 day run, now that I am feeling a good bit better. Got a buddy on the hook, we shall see what he will do for 1/2 of a sheep... Not the 12+ days I had planned but you know what they say about lemons and lemonaide...
    Last edited by LuJon; 09-07-2008 at 16:03. Reason: I can't spell....

Default get a sheep

Take a Z-pak (ANTIBIOTICS) and GET BACK OUT THERE!!!!!! you still have time!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast