Thread: Update on the Nelchina Herd?

Default Update on the Nelchina Herd?

The reporting has been quiet on the Nelchina herd, does anyone know what's happening up that way?

Default Nelchina Caribou

We got back from our trip to unit 13 for caribou and can report that the caribou are there. We hunted in the Clear Water creek area. While we did not see as many animals as we have in past years, we did see lots of groups of 4-14 animals. As usual, all one has to do is to get off the road system and look for the game. After we got our caribou we saw several 'larger' bulls. The two that we got are two year olds and will be very good eating. The weather was good and did get to meet some really good people.
    We did not see as many people during the time we were there.
    On a note of caution though, be aware of the 'scrawny' looking moose that was east of the Tangle lakes area. He had people in 'blue' suits watching over him. I wonder how many fell for this old trick?

Default Last sighted at....

I was up at my property last weekend, and on Monday morning we seen 6 caribou between the Susitna Lodge and the bridge. There's always some hanging around that area. I'll be back up there Friday, and if my satellite internet installer did his job this week, I should be able to communicate from there finally, and I'll let you know!

Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I was out riding this past weekend behind Eureka and saw lots of caribou, no big bulls though. I was also riding another area in UNit 13 and did see some big bulls but you have to be willing to walk a ways to get to them as they are all back in the mountains or walking the tops of them.

No caribou at Lake Louise..

I camped the Little Nelchina this weekend and saw groups of 5-10 here and there, mostly between horse pasture and the base of monument. Nothin spectacular by any means, but its meat in the freezer. They dont seem to be too spooked either, I came in under 30 yards lastnight. Unfortunately I don't have a tag
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I camped the Little Nelchina this weekend and saw groups of 5-10 here and there, mostly between horse pasture and the base of monument. Nothin spectacular by any means, but its meat in the freezer. They dont seem to be too spooked either, I came in under 30 yards lastnight. Unfortunately I don't have a tag
    No tag here either but we saw a group of 7 caribou up there as well. We were only there for three days. In all we saw 1 moose cow and calf, 7 caribou and a BIG brown bear. We went after the brownie and got to within about 100 yds but I guess he winded us and hit the after burners. By the time we got back up the hill, he was about 2 miles away.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

not sure if these latest posts were from the group we talked to but we had planned on going in past Horse Pasture and were ready to stay awhile when we ran into a large group of moose hunters on Rhino's. They let us know that they had been seeing quite a few "meat bulls" 3-5 miles upstream from them all weekend. I think we were about 15 miles from Monument on the Little Nechina but that's a rough guess. We appreciated the tip but we had already made a pact to pass on all caribou until we had spent a couple of days "in country". It's nice to get meat in the freezer but the old man loves it so much out there that we really wanted to take some time to enjoy ourselves. Anyway, lo' and behold 2 really nice bulls walked off of the hillside right in front of us about 3-1/2 miles up from the camp I mentioned before. I looked the bulls over and told him that the second one was the largest bull I've seen back there in years. Once it walked out onto the creek bottom at 120 yds he agreed and that was that, the pact was dissolved. We winched him off of the main trail, literally, and over onto some grass next to a nice trickle of water and made a nice clean job of it. Heck, he even let my girl and me take pictures with it! Just a word of thanks to the group who gave us the good word. It gets really easy to just motor along without looking up sometimes when you just want to get somewhere else. I started watching the hillsides right after we left them. I have to be the eyes nowdays but someday too soon he won't be here anymore to go out with so we try and enjoy every trip. I'll post the pics when I get them back.

Sunday mornin about 10ish??

I think you are referring to the crew I was out there with, 3 rangers (white, orange, red) 1 black rhino and a polaris? If it was, funny cuz right after we talked we came across a group of 7 'bou you guys must have kicked up with a monster bull about 2 miles back in the middle of the valley floor. It had to have been us

Glad you got your meat. Like I was sayin, I almost ran over a few bulls cruisin the valley....they were there just can't be too picky.

Quote Originally Posted by brackman47 View Post
    not sure if these latest posts were from the group we talked to but we had planned on going in past Horse Pasture and were ready to stay awhile when we ran into a large group of moose hunters on Rhino's. They let us know that they had been seeing quite a few "meat bulls" 3-5 miles upstream from them all weekend. I think we were about 15 miles from Monument on the Little Nechina but that's a rough guess.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Yep, had to be you guys. I guess that confirms it for anybody still looking to fill their Tier ll tag. Once again, we appreciate the tip.