Thought I'd share my report with you all.....
We got back last night from Green Island over Labor Day. Left Friday AM from Whittier. Had two days of decent weather, but Sunday we got caught in some serious weather and had to hunker down in a bay on the southern tip of East Knight Island. Easterlys were blowing 35mpg with gusts in the bay pushing 50-60mph, forcasted 8ft seas. We did stick our heads out of the bay and the seas were everything of 8ft so we turned back into the bay and waited out the weather. It made for an exciting few days, especially at night as we worried alot about the anchor pulling off the bottom with the ripping winds we had.
Weather let up just a little yesterday (Tuesday) morning. Had a rescue chopper come into the bay and buzz us at 100ft, was looking for a 22ft Hewescraft with 3 on board. Kind of cool to see them, but also made me realize how serious the situation was for them.
Based on the weather report from the choppper, he indicated 2-5 fters and ceiling was coming up, so we decided to chance it and make it to at least Lower passage and see from there. The ride back was interesting with seas 4-6 ft along the eastern size of Knight, 5-6ft going accross Knight Passage and 3-5ft going accross Port Wells and through Passage. With the wind blowing easterly we rode the waves into Whittier while everyone else was hunkered down in Culross Passage.
For the report, we hunted Green Friday night, alot of hiking, lots of gametrails and deer sign, but nothing. Dont think I'll do that again.
Saturday fishing was poor the first half of the day and excellent the later part, we caught 6 lingcod all averaging 40 in or more, with one topping 51 inches. 3 halibut (biggest 70lb) and some good size yelloweye and rockfish. Caught a few dogfish sharks too.
Sun-Tues was spent in the bay hunkered down. Wasnt all wasted, my 11 yr old got his 1st blackie on salmon stream. Trying to get another one, but the chopper that flew in pretty much scared everthing within a mile away.
Glad to be home after that. We'll see if we get out in Oct/Nov. for deer.