Thread: New Rifle Build - Small Ring 93 mauser

Default New Rifle Build - Small Ring 93 mauser

Hey Guys,

Picked up a 1933 small ring model 93 Turkish Mauser for 75.00. Took it apart and there is no pitting or rusting so I now have an action for a new project. All I have heard is they are not as strong as a 98. I would like to build this into a 270, is the action strong enough? How about a 7X57?

Going to be doing a full customization and was curious if you guys had any suggestions. I want to keep it as a light rifle with a 22" barrel and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Hey Guys,

Picked up a 1933 small ring model 93 Turkish Mauser for 75.00. Took it apart and there is no pitting or rusting so I now have an action for a new project. All I have heard is they are not as strong as a 98. I would like to build this into a 270, is the action strong enough? How about a 7X57?

Going to be doing a full customization and was curious if you guys had any suggestions. I want to keep it as a light rifle with a 22" barrel and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks
    Adam
    PARKER ACKLEY recommendation for these actions was to stay well within the 50,000 psi range. If it was my action, I would find an outfit that does X-ray work for welders and have it looked at for cracks and voids. Remember that there are any number of major Custom gunsmithing Companies that will not except any mil-surplus actions to work on.

This would be my choice for a contact for any Mauser work.

http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/index.html
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Can I use model 98 bottom metal with this action...Something like Sunny Hill?

Can I use model 98 bottom metal with this action...Something like Sunny Hill?

The simple way to find out is to measure between the action screw holes. See if they match with the bottom metal you want to use.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Think

The 93' Mauser action isn't a good candidate for a 270 win. and should be used with calibers which have a maximum of around 46,000 cup. The 6.5x55 or the American version of the 7x57 would be doable.
    The problem herein lies; IF you put a bunch of money and time into a 93 actioned rifle it won't be worth much more than it was when you first got it. There's not much market for a rifle that isn't high velocity and flat shooting. The very reason you wanted a 270 win in the first place. Parts for a 93' will be harder to find and expensive. And the same work done to a 96' or 98' would bear much more productive fruit and retain it's value.
    But; good luck with your project !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

actually, one ususally does not recoup the cost of sporterizing military rifles M98 or otherwise.

Most people consider them just another surplus sporter, despite whatever pedigree we try to hang on them.

M98 is thought to be a better choice for the most part than a M93 to build a gun for high intensity catridge, due to action limitations addressed previously...but if you enjoy tinkering about with what you have on hand, enjoy!

Thanks!

Bottom metal lengths differ by about a 1/4". The m98 being the longer of the 2. I'm not certain, but I think a 270 is too long for a m93. If it was me I'd stick with the caliber it was built for. 7x57. You could do a lot worse. Or on second thought, how about 6.5x55? Another classic round with lots of knockout.

SD differences considering 140 gr loads in the above cal's would favor the 6.5x55. Theres a reason it's the most popular moose cal. in scandinavia. I't's like the energizer bunny.....just keeps going.

Default +1 on 6.5 Swede

The most practical round for the action you have, other than the original 7X57 they were designed around. I've heard the Swede described as a cross between the .257 Roberts and the .270 Winchester. Not a bad place to be!
    The 93 suffers from several things, first off is strength, second, and most likely more important to you is availability of parts and cost of labor!
    Most 'smiths have no problem doing a 98. Most of the aftermarket is set up for 98's. Anything else in front of a 'smith, and the costs go up, same with safeties, triggers, bottom metal, barrels, etc
    IF you MUST do a .270, do yourself and anyone else down the road a HUGE favor, and do NOT use the 93 to make this rifle, at least not with a round that's too long for it, and operating right at 12-15K PSI above what it was designed to operate at.

With all this info.....Does anyone have a cheap old 98 they would like to part with? Willing to spend up to $100.00.

Adam

With all this info.....Does anyone have a cheap old 98 they would like to part with? Willing to spend up to $100.00.

Adam
    How much do you want for your 93?

40.00 - 50.00 for the 93 and whatever shipping may be.