Thread: Intro and where to fish this weekend?

Default Intro and where to fish this weekend?

Hi all,
    I'm new to the board and new to Eagle River, Alaska having just moved here from Maryland at the end of May 08.
    Me and my son (he's 6) have fished Ship Creek, Eklutna Tailrace, Hillberg lake (on the base) and I've done 2 charters at Seward, the 1st was successful the 2nd not so.
    Anyways, my brother-outlaw and his wife are up and want to go halibut fishing this weekend, 6-7 Sept. Are fish still biting in Homer?
    I've read other threads about charters and have looked at the Capt Pete website which shows fishing till the end of Sept.
    Would an all day charter for halibut and silvers be a waste of time and money?
    Also, what do you think about a 6 y/o going out as well?
    Safety 1st as always, but boy he's dying to go out and I'm still to new to this and would appreciate any input.
    The charters I did in Seward were all for him going out, but then I'd think they could just be saying that.
    Thanks for any advice and/or comments.
    And again, Hello.
    ChuckD

hey and welcome to AOD and AK

i do not know how the but fishing is during sept, but i think it should be good to excellent out of homer. i would focus on either buts or silvers, not both. i prefer buts cuz i enjoy eating them more than silvers.

i say take your 6 yo out, tie a rod to him, and have a fantastic time!

best of luck to you

Default Yup!

I can recommend Capt. Pete as a solid, safe, hard-working charter boat captain. He'll find the halibut.

I was fishing on the Seldovia side of the bay last week and picked up silvers all along the coast from Tutka Bay to Pogi Point, so silvers should still be good.

The halibut we had a little trouble finding, so ask Pete about how far he is going out to find them. I heard that consistent action for butts was happening at the Compass Rose, and Flat Island.

Pete has a good sized boat so taking a youngster out should be fine as far as safety and roominess goes...

jim

Default Homer

When in Homer and fishing on a charter I have gone with Bob's Trophy Charters the last six years. I'm going on one Friday on the Huntress with Capt Josh. Always accomodating, and always looking for fish for the customers. I also run my own small SeaRunner, but usually count on bigger halibut at least once a year from a charter that can take me out farther or to more productive areas than I usually find myself for Halibut. Salmon is a different story. I normally find them on my own. Big Halibut? I have counted on Bob's. Unfortunately, I don't have any "honey holes" of my own and count on them for their expertise. Try them. You'll like them.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info guy's. I tried to book Capt Pete's but he is booked. I'll try Bob's Trophy's in the morning. I know it's late but I'd like to get them out and on some fish (and me too). I think a good reference is better than just looking and hoping for a nice charter.

Default Bobs

Is a great choicve, used him this summer and will, continue to as long as IM in homer!

Whittier has to be the Alaskan Gold Runner Charters
    Capt, Ron M.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

i just used rainbow charters on board the jackpot for the second time this weekend. everyone on the boat limited on buts. they have a nice big 55' boat and will take you to decent chicken holes. not bad for a 109$ half day charter. i paid more than 3 times as much in july and wound up with less fish in the freezer.

Default Bob's Trophy

Just booked with Bob's trophy (he was booked but called a subcontractor he said he likes) for Sat. Asked about a combo halibut and salmon and he said salmon reports were bad and didn't want to take money. Seems like a decent/honest guy over the phone. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Default Thanx!

Just got back from Capt Bob's Trophy in Homer. Dave the owner set us up with Capt. Kerry of the Diamondback II. He had us on fish from the git go till the weather turned in the afternoon. In just a few hours we were all whooped and feeling great. We all got our limit with decent fish and we have a bunch in the freezer now. Capt Kerry was a great guide and we all gave him thumbs up and will use him again.
    Thanx for the info we all had a blast.