View Poll Results: Have you got your moose yet?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Haven't gone yet, but will soon.

66 40.49%
  • YUP, Bullwinkle in the freezer!

44 26.99%
  • I keep tryin' but nothing's dyin yet.

53 32.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Yet?

Default Moose Yet?

Just a little survey of those who've succeeded in filling the freezer vs. those who have not.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

The group has one in the freezer, haven't had the chance to punch my tag but have a 5 day hunt coming up so we shall see. I have seen over 40 moose so far, just need to find that legal one!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I managed to connect the frist day. Thank God, I was out of meat and beef is pretty pricey these days.

Default I hear you ratlmn

I was really excited to see that bull on the 5th of August (RM880). Lots of smiles after I came back with all that meat.

Thumbs up got a cow

sunday night, a yearling, dm549.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default not me but...

Just got off the phone with my dad, he got one with my brother in law this morning. I am stuck waiting till December 15th till i get to moose hunt. (DM427).

Got one on opening morning. Home by 10:00 am. Solo hunt, thought I was gonna have a stroke.

I have put 7 afternoons and 5 full days (one 3 day and one 2 day trip) so far I have seen 1 definate legal but he gave us the slip before the hammer came down. I can't complain though I leave for 12 days chasing sheep (DS126) tomorrow and my wife has DM798 comming up next month! If we don't connect then a trip to PWS to chase deer is in order.
    I am also looking for any one that connects on a moose toward the end of the season on the Knik and wants to divuldge the whereabouts of the gut pile so I can go sit on it. I am hoping to pull a brownie out of there as we saw a TON of tracks hunting the area around the confluence of the Mat & Knik. If I can't get a gut pile located then I guess I will try calling from a stand...

Shot a spike in my backyard today with my bow, twas nice killing a moose so close to the house, everything I needed was right there!...grin Bull ended up dieing in the ditch in front of a neighbors driveway and there was no ill incidents. Youngest bull I ave ever shot and expect it to taste quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Shot a spike in my backyard today with my bow, twas nice killing a moose so close to the house, everything I needed was right there!...grin Bull ended up dieing in the ditch in front of a neighbors driveway and there was no ill incidents. Youngest bull I ave ever shot and expect it to taste quite good.
    Congrats on the spike. Must be nice to be able to get one that young and in the easiest place. Guess you wont have to worry about planning a trip now. Koodos!!!

Default up to my neck in cows, but...

no cow tag. I even almost hit one with the truck the other day. Haven't seen a bull since the night before opening day. But I'm taking a few days off to chase them so maybe then...

Quote Originally Posted by 21'-Grayling View Post
    Congrats on the spike. Must be nice to be able to get one that young and in the easiest place. Guess you wont have to worry about planning a trip now. Koodos!!!

Yeah it was weird hunting (per say) in Addidas slicks and a t-shirt and shooting my bow with sun glasses on....grin Of course it was 70 degrees and sunny when we cleaned it and the blow flies and skeeters were in full force, that wasn't exactly fun! Wasn't planning on hunting moose this year so I am tickled pink to have one, and it probably will be the best eating moose I have ever taken too! I forgot to mention that my buddy and I doubled, he got the cow (FMA cow tag) that was with this bull, so we cleaned two good eating moose yesterday afternoon.

Way to go Cub! Looks like you blew the guts right out of it! I've been hoping to get a bull to walk right through the yard but it hasn't happened yet. Guess I'm going to have to go out and find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Way to go Cub! Looks like you blew the guts right out of it! I've been hoping to get a bull to walk right through the yard but it hasn't happened yet. Guess I'm going to have to go out and find one.
    Man it was hot out , I had to open him up quick, butchering a moose in 70 degrees sucked! I used a Steel Force cut on impact for the first time and wasn't to impressed,it didn't pass through. I normally use Magnus Stingers and they zip right through stuff. But in defense the bull only went like 80 yards and was done, so I cant somplain.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Bull in meat shed

This guy is currently curing in our meat shed, which has a cooling unit that keeps 'er about 38 degrees for a couple of weeks. Works great as long as we can get a good crust on ahead of time...which we did. As I mentioned in the photo gallery, biggest bodied moose I've shot...and I think he's about #18 or #19...
    Last edited by sockeye1; 01-20-2009 at 07:49.

If someone has a cow tag for Houston/Big Lake area, west side of the highway, your welcome to the cow who ate our garden....She's gotta be yummy!!!! Yes, she's still hanging around, She is nuts if she thinks I'm going to replant just to feed her!

Our hunting was done weeks ago, gotta love archery season!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    This guy is currently curing in our meat shed, which has a cooling unit that keeps 'er about 38 degrees for a couple of weeks. Works great as long as we can get a good crust on ahead of time...which we did. As I mentioned in the photo gallery, biggest bodied moose I've shot...and I think he's about #18 or #19...
    Dang, nice bull! Congrads, looks like he's been rubbed for a bit, what part of the state?

I found one at the cabin this labor day weekend walked right up to 20ft of him and said "hey moose!" He turned but only had 2x2 for brows and was about 45"-47". He gave me a snort and went back to feeding so I know he wasn't 50" lol............

Having trouble finding a legal one .....

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Dang, nice bull! Congrads, looks like he's been rubbed for a bit, what part of the state?

I found one at the cabin this labor day weekend walked right up to 20ft of him and said "hey moose!" He turned but only had 2x2 for brows and was about 45"-47". He gave me a snort and went back to feeding so I know he wasn't 50" lol............

Having trouble finding a legal one .....
    We scouted on the 29th and on the 30th. Over that time we saw 6 different bulls. ALL of them were in full velvet on the 29th and ALL of them had started peeling by the 30th, which was one day earlier than last year. My buddy ended up getting a bull that was 68" and old, he was regressing and wasn't as large bodied as mine, but was a great animal nontheless!

We are in southcentral. Good luck finding a legal bull, best actual 'freezer fillin' meat' there is!!

Thumbs up YEP!

Filled my cow tag on August 25th. (DM407)...She's a tasty 2 1/2 year old that momma already kicked off. Big bodied, very healthy animal.

I got lucky on opening day, shot the "smaller" one .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast