Thread: Valdez for Silvers?

Default Valdez for Silvers?

I was planning on taking my son down to Valdez this weekend to fish for silvers. I know it is a little late, I just haven't been able to make time to get down until now and I gotta take my boy whether we catch anything or not. It's kind of become an annual father/son trip. I think they usually allow the commercial boats in around the 1st of Sep and we have always just fished off the city dock so I was wondering where would be the best place to go. I have heard around the Gold Creek area might still be ok. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I would also appreciate any tips on somewhere good to go this weekend other than valdez if that doesn't look like it will be very productive. Thanks.

I've been shore fishing on and off the past 2 days, only fishing 1-2 hours each day and still got a few. Fishing is not super hot but everybody is still catching fish. The seiners didn't have much of an effect on the terminal side, it's actually better than it was a few weeks ago. The city side though, is next to dead compared to before labour day. About 1/2 of the fish are starting to blush, but still very good meat quality if that's what you're doing.

Default Valdez Silvers

Wiggle Warts!!! My family spent last weekend down there and spent a day and 1/2 dragging herring, both with and without flashers, at different depths. We picked up a few but by no means would I say it was good fishing. Finally we tried our King gear (Wiggle warts) and the fight was on. We finished the trip 2 fish short of three limits. What a blast my 7 year old had, who was the first to catch his limit. We spent most of our time near the ferry dock.

A funny side story, my wife complained about a spare pole she was forced to use. Shortly after complaining, she set it on the roof of the boat to help our son land a monster coho. The rod and reel fell over and she was forced to use a light spinning rod I had on the boat. About 20 minutes later, she snagged the bottom. She managed to free the snag but when she retrieved the hook, she had snagged some fishing line. She asked me what to do with it and I told her to pull it in so someone wouldn't pick it up in their prop. As she began pulling, she felt weight on the other end and we thought we might get a free weight and flasher. To our surprise, it was a rod and reel!!! Not the one she just lost, but a better one! What a trip! By the way, if you can desribe it, we'll give it back to you but until then, my wife was pleased with the exchange from Neptune.

Good luck

Default Thats classic

What a great day you had. Catching a pole is one thing nut doing it in exchange with a lost pole is great.

Very nice of you to offer it up, to the last owner. Wish more people still had that quality left.

Hope your luck continues
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    To our surprise, it was a rod and reel!!! Not the one she just lost, but a better one! What a trip! By the way, if you can desribe it, we'll give it back to you but until then, my wife was pleased with the exchange from Neptune.

Good luck
    Was it attached to a rod holder?

Weekend before Labor Day we witnessed a lone guy in a zodiac lose his rod and holder...looked like it just snapped off...when a big fish hit. He did not appear happy, but about an hour later he was back out with another rod, firmly gripped in one hand. Hope his luck got better...

Default labor day

We fished the area by town and to say that it was not HOT would be crazy. I thought for sure a fish would jump in the boat. Dipsy, small flasher, and a hootchie was all that was needed - not enough time to put bait on between strikes. Very fun!

Default Seiners

The seiners cleaned everything up this Tuesday. There are still a few boats out seining. Hatchery area is off limits as is Gold Creek.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default It couldn't be.

I lost my pole trolling down there on labor day. It was my rod I normally use for kings. I don't remember the pole (black), but it had an abu-garcia 7000 series reel on it. My buddy was fishing with it and we had a broken rod holder when a fish got on. Bye-bye rod and reel.

-Gusto