Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .480 SRH gone again?

Default .480 SRH gone again?

Looks like Ruger's website says their .480 lineup is discontinued again. I hope it's just for design changes again and not because they're dropping it; never have shot the round, but it always struck me as the perfect bear protection round. Is there anything in the rumor mill about this? Have I missed something?
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

It has been discontinued. It's unfortunate as it truly is a great round, but it wasn't a big seller. I called Ruger and they said that it was a marketing decision to quit producing it. That leads me to believe that they weren't selling enough of them to justify the production.

Add another one to the list that will be hard to find brass for in the following years. I'm glad this subject came up, I was thinking about a re bore on a rifle to shoot the .480 Ruger round. Now I'll just extend the chamber to the .460 S&W.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I actually picked up a moison nagant with the thoughts of making a .480 carbine. The upside is the rim of the 7.62X54 is close enough to the 480 rim that no bolt mod is required. The downside is the moison magazine is not conductive to being modified to feed the 480 short of being replaced with a mauser style magazine. And I just couldn't get excited about the thought of a single shot 480.

I hate to hear that. I really like the round alot. Probably nearing the mark of perfection for a big bore revolver caliber. I have never owned one but have loaded for several SRH's in the past few years and it is what a true big bore should be. 400 grains at about 1100-1200 fps at .476" diameter is some serious big bore butt-kickin'.

I have owned a couple of 475 LB's over the years and they do not down load to 480 levels as efficiently as I would like. That shortened brass just works so well. Plenty of room for powder but no excess space, just right. I would like mine with a 5 1/2" barrel so guess I'll have to order or modify an existing platfrom. FA will make one and of course you can shoot the 480 in the 475 cylinder or if a purist you can get the extra cylinder. Does anybody else chamber for the 480 caliber?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default S&W Marketing Savy

Regardless of anything that has to do with reality of the cartridges or the revolvers one must give the S&W marketing and advertising departments much of the credit for the low sales of the .480.

To the average Joe that buys the majority of all guns esp. the latest whiz bang biggest baddest or shortest fattest magnum the S&W .500 and .460 X frames are just a lot more attractive than the .480 SRH.

The avalaibility of ammunition and reloading components is a big factor for many other less average Joes like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Looks like Ruger's website says their .480 lineup is discontinued again. I hope it's just for design changes again and not because they're dropping it; never have shot the round, but it always struck me as the perfect bear protection round. Is there anything in the rumor mill about this? Have I missed something?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Regardless of anything that has to do with reality of the cartridges or the revolvers one must give the S&W marketing and advertising departments much of the credit for the low sales of the .480.

To the average Joe that buys the majority of all guns esp. the latest whiz bang biggest baddest or shortest fattest magnum the S&W .500 and .460 X frames are just a lot more attractive than the .480 SRH.

The avalaibility of ammunition and reloading components is a big factor for many other less average Joes like myself.

Though I would agree that the S&W 500 is the biggest and badassest caliber ever for a revolver, less practical than the 480 or even the 44 in many applications it is still what it is. It is also a very well designed cartridge case capable of many, many loads at high pressure. I don't feel the 460 is in this category as it is merely a higher velocity 45Colt/454 Casull. The 500 is a souped up version of the 500 LB but a better design of a case. I just don't think extra velocity isn't the answer.

I think the 500 did contribute to the low sales of the 480 because of the biggest on the block thing but also the 475 is the magnum and it's hrad then to sell the "special" version after the big magnum is out the gate. In any case the 480 is still a very useful and shootable caliber and can be had in a rather compact 5-6" barrel and still delivery full power.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The reality is most folks buy guns to kill white tails and boar. And for that, the 44 mag is fully capable. For those that want more power, most will jump to the biggest and baddest, and whether or not they can pack the gun nor deal with the muzzle break and related blast while hunting is moot.

I've had a 480 since shortly after it was introduced, and it's exactly what I thought it would be. Roughly 30% more power than a 44 mag, but still shootable in a gun of reasonable weight that doesn't require a muzzle break. But a well balanced combo just doesn't sell well. The same can be said of the various 35 caliber rifles.

Murphy, I believe that Magnum Research has a .480 in their line up. I was waiting for the 5 shot SRH. Does anyone know if any of these were made/shipped?

Big Al, I was wondering why you would want to re-barrel a .454 Puma to .480 since you can just buy a .480 Puma.

A handgun in 480 is still on my short list. As long as we're dreaming, how about a 5 shot N frame?
    I would love to have a SBH Hunter in a 5 shot 480.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

My plan is to pick up a 6 shot 9 1/2" srh, cut it off to 5", and use the stub to build a 48 special on the sbh. The 48 special will be a six shooter, and run low pressure loads.

I know there is a smith that has bored out a 6 shooter sbh to 475 L and run some respectable loads out of it. I have no desire to push it, my goal is 275 gr @ 700 fps.

Wow, all I can say is that I hate to see a caliber go by the wayside especially the SRH 480. I have had mine for three years and just love it.
    Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot, even with the factory grips.
    Once I can find a holster for it I plan to take it with me on my Elk hunt after Thanksgiving.
    It is a lot more pleasureable to shoot then the S&W 329PD I have!

Default 480 vs 44 mag power

I put up a posting vying the .44 Rem mag against the 454 Casull as far as terminal performance goes. As much as I love the .44, I was given a number of actual experience responses that made me rethink my position. I can't shoot rifles anymore because of an eye condition that w is exacerbated by even moderate recoil, so opted to get and use a handgun of large bore and good performance. I did settle on the 480 Ruger in a 7 1/2" SRH after considering a BFR in 475 LB. I like the gun and got a killer deal on it in mint condition. I do think that while on paper the 480 has about 30 something per cent more power, that actual performance on game shows more impact with a 400-420 grain bullet. I have spoken to a number of guys who have used it with total satisfaction, one of them in Utah who made an approx. 140 yard shot on a muley who went down hard. You can get Starline brass from Graf & Sons online at a fair price, along with dies, bullets, etc. While I got my locally in Anchorage, there are still some online. I don't think the 5 shot ever really got off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Murphy, I believe that Magnum Research has a .480 in their line up. I was waiting for the 5 shot SRH. Does anyone know if any of these were made/shipped?

Big Al, I was wondering why you would want to re-barrel a .454 Puma to .480 since you can just buy a .480 Puma.
    Simply put I haven't spent any money on a dumb ***** project in a while. I wouldn't have re-barreled I would have re-bored the stock barrel. I'm off that plan now anyway. I do have a good reamer that will cut the chamber on the .454 to .460 S&W however and will do that. I have a lot of work on this rifle planned, I going to trash the fiberglass stocks and go to a laminate wood stock. Cut and crown the barrel to 16" and shorten the mag tube. Complete the action work, sight change front and back. Pretty much a major rework. The action now feels like someone poured a handful of sand in this one.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Simply put I haven't spent any money on a dumb ***** project in a while. I wouldn't have re-barreled I would have re-bored the stock barrel. I'm off that plan now anyway. I do have a good reamer that will cut the chamber on the .454 to .460 S&W however and will do that. I have a lot of work on this rifle planned, I going to trash the fiberglass stocks and go to a laminate wood stock. Cut and crown the barrel to 16" and shorten the mag tube. Complete the action work, sight change front and back. Pretty much a major rework. The action now feels like someone poured a handful of sand in this one.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Jeez, this is sounding like a wake. The .480 isn't dead just because Ruger isn't building it any more. Plus, there is always the .475 Linebaugh which has been around for more than 20 years. tvfinak -- what is more attractive about those behemoth X-frames? You can build a gun around the .500 Smith or .460 that is practical in the packable sense. So, it isn't dead yet, nor do I see it dying any time soon.

Default .500 S&W vs. .480 SRH

What I pointed out is that the .500 S&W appealed to the mass of people that buy most of the newest latest guns. It is like the "new" short magnum rifle calibers - something new to spend your money on and get a thrill for a while. While the .480 was fine the .500 S&W is still the biggest bad***** thing out (at least on paper anyway).

I bought a .500 S&W 4" after the prices settled down and have been carrying while fishing for the last 2 seasons. Actually in a sholder houster I find it to be totally packable. While the gun is somewhat bulky from the large cylinder it doesn't weigh much more than a SRH for the same level of practial stopping power - as many have pointed out a large heavy bullet at moderate velocities is great and you can shoot some pretty large heavy bullets at decent velocities from a 4" .500.

Also important to me is the avalaibility of .500 components and I personally prefer the S&W over the SRH for a number of reasons.

What I would really like to see is a 5 shot .454 or .480 on a slightly enlarged N frame. The current N frame cylinder opening is just too small and the cylinder walls get too thin in a .45 caliber N frame.

Let's hope the .480 hangs on in some form - variety and choices are always great.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Jeez, this is sounding like a wake. The .480 isn't dead just because Ruger isn't building it any more. Plus, there is always the .475 Linebaugh which has been around for more than 20 years. tvfinak -- what is more attractive about those behemoth X-frames? You can build a gun around the .500 Smith or .460 that is practical in the packable sense. So, it isn't dead yet, nor do I see it dying any time soon.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

tvfinak,

You hit upon a point of the big 500 that, for whatever reason, it's sales took off and that take off brought a flood of good components which the 500 LB or 50 AE never could muster for us. The problem now is that the bullet diameter is smaller than the LB and others. But we can get carbide dies a good prices (popularity of caliber) good brass and many good bullets but they are .500". It also spawned the 500 Wyoming Express for what that is worth. I dislike its belt but like its ballistics also.

The 480 never got this level of attention, I would guess because of the S&W 500 walking over it, and it took a long while to get carbide dies for it because of it's lack of popular support. It's sort of like picking an unknown small town mayor for VP.
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-04-2008 at 16:56.

Default Another five Shot Ruger SA-

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    tvfinak,

You hit upon a point of the big 500 that, for whatever reason, it's sales took off and that take off brought a flood of good components which the 500 LB or 50 AE never could muster for us. The problem now is that the bullet diameter is smaller than the LB and others. But we can get carbide dies a good prices (popularity of caliber) good brass and many good bullets but they are .500". It also spawned the 500 Wyoming Express for what that is worth. I dislike its belt but like its ballistics also.

The 480 never got this level of attention, I would guess because of the S&W 500 walking over it, and it took a long while to get carbide dies for it because of it's lack of popular support. It's sort of like picking an unknown small town mayor for VP.
    I found a spare .475L P&R cylinder in the parts bin Murph and was pondering a shorter .500 S&W. Seems Jack Huntington already calls the 1.4" the .500JRH.
    Anyhoo, got a reamer on order to open the .475 to .500 just to be different since we already did the 1.4 Linebaughs. The slightly smaller case size should make it friendlier to medium loads

Default Sportsman's Warehouse has some

If anyone is interested, Sportsman's Warehouse around the country still has some in their inventory. It's the 6-shot 7.5 in barrel SRH. See your gun manager and have him transfer one in from another store. I did and it only cost me an extra $25. FYI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast