Thread: 338 cal kodiak bullets

Default 338 cal kodiak bullets

I ran across some 300 grain .338 caliber Kodiak bullets today and was wondering if I could get some peoples thoughts on the kodiak bullet and where I might be able to get some reloading data for a for this bullet and a 340 Weatherby. Thanks

Ernie,

I haven't seen the 338 Kodiak in 300 grain weight. They presently make a 275, 250, 225, 200 weights but I'm not aware of the 300. Myabe they still do make it I have just never had need of it and never asked for it.

Anyway I think I can find some data for them with the 340 Weatherby. An unusual request for a Weatherby shooter but actually a better package than with light bullets as is generally used. What powders do you have available? It should be no faster then H4350 and probably as slow as H4831 would be good. I have loaded 300 grains in the 300 Lapua and the 338 Arnold (basically a 8 mm Rem Mag necked to 338) so that one is close to your 340. I have not loaded the 300 in the 338 Wm or the 340. I'll see what I can find.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't think much of the Kodiak's myself. I have a couple of boxes of 250 gr .338 stuff. One box is a FLAT POINT (***?) and won't function if seated to the cannelure - jams into the lands. Better mousetraps to be had.

My Hodgdon #25 lists data with H870 and H4350. 2,475 fps tops with H870. I don't have a problem with heavy/slow combos.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I don't think much of the Kodiak's myself. I have a couple of boxes of 250 gr .338 stuff. One box is a FLAT POINT (***?) and won't function if seated to the cannelure - jams into the lands. Better mousetraps to be had.

My Hodgdon #25 lists data with H870 and H4350. 2,475 fps tops with H870. I don't have a problem with heavy/slow combos.

That 338-250 flat point is called a protected point. A little meplat on a spitzer, designed to reduce magazine deformation from recoil. I prefer that nose shape as energy transfer is better and they feed well in my rifles. Kodiak will put the cannleure at any point on the shank you desire, they are a custom bullet maker. I have him place the cannelure to put that bullet about .020" off and they shoot well. Of course you could just seat the bullet deeper and ignore the cannelure.

They are very good bullets in the field and retain weight at about 90% for most calibers. The 225 is probably the best bullet for the velocity of the 338-06. I'll buy those 250's off ya if you want to ship them.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Do Kodiak bullets have a website?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    That 338-250 flat point is called a protected point. A little meplat on a spitzer, designed to reduce magazine deformation from recoil. I prefer that nose shape as energy transfer is better and they feed well in my rifles. Kodiak will put the cannleure at any point on the shank you desire, they are a custom bullet maker. I have him place the cannelure to put that bullet about .020" off and they shoot well. Of course you could just seat the bullet deeper and ignore the cannelure.

They are very good bullets in the field and retain weight at about 90% for most calibers. The 225 is probably the best bullet for the velocity of the 338-06. I'll buy those 250's off ya if you want to ship them.
    The box they are contained in is not labeled sptizer, semi-spitzer, protected point or flat point. Only after I obtained and opened them did I find out that they were flat points. I know what a protected point is and these are flat points. Tips look just like the Hornady 200 gr FP 33 Win bullet.

I know you don't have to crimp at the cannelure. It's just that if you're going to put one on the bullet and sell these bullets to the public, you'd think that the location would/should work in a Rem 700 or Ruger 77 FACTORY CHAMBER. You think that they'd personally check this out don't you?

I'm keeping my .375 300 gr semi-spiters for the 375 Taylor. My "gripe" with the bullets are two-fold:

1) poor quality control and sloppy appearance. Their "firsts" wouldn't pass for Nosler 2nds.

2) they actually expand too much for my taste. Too much expansion limits penetration. You really can't have both.

I'll try and take some pictures and yes, I'd be happy the get that one box off my hands as I have a 5-year supply of good old 250 gr NPT's.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    The box they are contained in is not labeled sptizer, semi-spitzer, protected point or flat point. Only after I obtained and opened them did I find out that they were flat points. I know what a protected point is and these are flat points. Tips look just like the Hornady 200 gr FP 33 Win bullet.

I know you don't have to crimp at the cannelure. It's just that if you're going to put one on the bullet and sell these bullets to the public, you'd think that the location would/should work in a Rem 700 or Ruger 77 FACTORY CHAMBER. You think that they'd personally check this out don't you?

I'm keeping my .375 300 gr semi-spiters for the 375 Taylor. My "gripe" with the bullets are two-fold:

1) poor quality control and sloppy appearance. Their "firsts" wouldn't pass for Nosler 2nds.

2) they actually expand too much for my taste. Too much expansion limits penetration. You really can't have both.

I'll try and take some pictures and yes, I'd be happy the get that one box off my hands as I have a 5-year supply of good old 250 gr NPT's.
    It seems what you have are bullets made for the 33 Winchester, I have some that Karl made for me also. Gun shops don't market them well.

I will agree with the box label or lack of it. They don't even have a label for the FMJ's just an add on sticker that may get wiped off.

As to the appearance, agree also they do not have the final polish of the Noslers and the nose of the spitzers do vary in the lead tip shape, etc. I don't find that to affect accuracy or performance.

And you are certainly right about the expansion. They are standard velocity bullets. Generally work best at velocities slightly slower than partitions. Hawk bullets are a little slower yet. They are well suited for the 338-06, 35 Whelen, 405 Winchester, etc. They are essentially a bonded Colorado Custom/Barnes Original/Hawk bullet. They are not for the high spped super mags and may not be for the old standard mags such as the 338 Win and the 375 H&H unless the heaviest weights are used. (250 for the 338 and 300 for the 375) The 300 375 bullet is one of the best for the H&H for thin skinned animals such as Lion but may not be the best against large brownies or cape buffalo.

Good insights on these bullets, I hope they work well for you.

Talking Kodiaks

Bob Wiseman, who owns the Ammo Shop here on the Kenai Peninsula has several boxes of 300 grain .338 caliber Kodiaks. They sound interesting. Very high sectional density. As far as thoughts on Kodiak bullets, I have had great accuracy from all that I have shot so far. I can't comment on terminal performance since I have not shot anything more than paper with them yet.

Default Thanks

Just like 454Casull said, I found them at the ammo shop, I guess they were a special order that the guy never returned to pick up. I don't know much about the Kodiak bullets but it seems like the 300 grain bullets at moderate velocities would be a good setup. I don't have H4350 or H4351 but could get them, I would like to just find some data as a good starting point and go from there. I thought Barnes used to make a 300 grain original, do you think I'd be able to get some load data out of an old manual that might help? Thanks again any info is appreciated.

I am certain that if the Kodiak Bullets designers would have someone create a Web site, they would sell a lot of bullets, at least in Alaska. I wonder why they don't have a web site? That's the best way to advertise and sell products these days.

I remember reading a gun magazine article about these bullets a few years ago, and the author was very impressed with the Kodiak bullets he used.

The kodiak 405gr 458 cal bullet is about the best thing to ever happen to the 45/70. I used this bullet with H322 for 1925ps, exceptional accuracy and outstanding performance on game. It was THE bullet for hunting with the guide gun.