Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 350 rem mag owners weigh in...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    175

    Default 350 rem mag owners weigh in...

    I just bought a Ruger 77 MK II SS/Syn in 350 rem mag. I have a VX II 1x4-20 I've decided to mount on her as soon as I can pick her up. Hopefully I can use the scope on 1 power without seeing the end of my barrel. I know there are several guys lurking in the forums with 350's, so I am seeking opinions/advice/tips/tricks etc.
    What loads are you guys using or have tried??? What powders, bullets, and primers seem to work best? I'd like to find one good load I can use on anything from Deer to Moose, from the muzzle to say 300 yds. Maybe the 250 gr Speer or the 225 grain partion.... I'd also like to get a load that shoots to a similar PAO for light game and practice maybe with a 180 or 200 gr bullets? What do you guys think?

    Thanks, Jake

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    I just bought a Ruger 77 MK II SS/Syn in 350 rem mag. I have a VX II 1x4-20 I've decided to mount on her as soon as I can pick her up. Hopefully I can use the scope on 1 power without seeing the end of my barrel. I know there are several guys lurking in the forums with 350's, so I am seeking opinions/advice/tips/tricks etc.
    What loads are you guys using or have tried??? What powders, bullets, and primers seem to work best? I'd like to find one good load I can use on anything from Deer to Moose, from the muzzle to say 300 yds. Maybe the 250 gr Speer or the 225 grain partion.... I'd also like to get a load that shoots to a similar PAO for light game and practice maybe with a 180 or 200 gr bullets? What do you guys think?

    Thanks, Jake
    You could load the 225 TSX for everything imo. I used Hodgdon Benchmark and Federal primers to get 2700fps. Very accurate load. If you have access to TAC you should be able to push the 225 to 2800fps out of your Ruger. Here's a link to the Barnes Data note that the velocities are out of 20" barrel and your Ruger as well as mine have an extra 2":

    http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/...nMagnumWeb.pdf


    Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

    My other advice is to get either a limbsaver or pachmayr decelerator recoil pad. I have the decelerator and it works well. When you start driving heavy bullets in such a light rifle the recoil increases dramatically.

  3. #3
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    I found the 225 sierra and Varget to be a good combination. Any time your first handload has all three shots touching you're a happy camper. I've been meaning to try the barnes 225 tsx but have had too many other gun projects.

    I'd say use the 225 barnes for hunting and 225 sierra for practice. You might have to make some slight sighting adjustment between loads.

  4. #4

    Default

    I can see my 18.5" barrel with my VXII 1-4 up to 2.5x on a 336D. I have a VXIII 1.5-5 and its the same on my 20.5" 358win. I don't even notice it any more it just shows how wide the field of view is on these great scopes.

    I hope your latest Alaskan export makes it to washington, Everything the news media thinks is bad I just love. Funny how different the left is from the right or even center. I have seen the local gun store in every photo of their hometown. I think that is suposed to worry us, but just gives me a good comfortable feeling very positive and natural home town feel.

  5. #5
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,216

    Default

    I have a Ruger M77MKII that needed a little work to get it shooting as well as it could. There is a thread here someplace.
    I have a front sight and an emergency NEGC peep sight for the rear. I use a 2.5 to 7 Leupold VXII and Warne quick detach rings.

    I have had good luck with the 225 grain Kodiak bonded bullets.
    Remington Brass
    Win Magnum Primers
    COL 2.800
    62.0 grains of RL-15.
    @2,795 fps. 0.60 in group.

    While I have also tried 63 grains which gave me 2,850 fps, it was a little hot and less accurate.

    My Rifle does not like Varget for some reason.
    Using betwen 57 (2,525 fps) and 59 grains (2,659 fps) of Varget, and a 225 grain Kodiak, 220 grain speer and 225 grain Sierra, I never had any groups go under 1.5 inches, using standard primers. It was even worse with magnum primers.

    I tried some IMR 3031 and it was OK but nothing more.
    Using a 225 grain Sierra Game King BT, the best load for IMR 3031 was 56.0 grains with a Federal 215 Magnum primer. The COL was 2.900 inch.
    That load averaged 2,682 fps and gave me a group of 1.2 inches at 100 yards.

    I also tried some H-4895.

    With a Sierra 225 grain BT, a Federal 215m primer and a COL of 2.90

    55.0 grains = 2,537 fps and a 3 inch group.
    58.0 grains = 2,738 fps and a 1.0 inch group

    Pushing the bullet in further so I had a COL of 2.88 actually opened the group up to 1.75 inches and gave me 2,675 fps. WEIRD...



    I also tried some BLC-2 loads from a couple different manuals. They were dirty with poor groups and high pressure signs. AND low velocities...

    I wish I had some 250 grain round nose bullets to try.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    175

    Default Thanks for all the...

    great information. I'll try RL15 and Varget first and hope I don't need to go any farther. I may give TAC a shot also.

    How long is your guy's mag box on those rugers? Any feeding issues?

    Thanks again, Jake

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    64

    Default

    I have a 350 in a Model 7. I use 250 grain A-Frames at about 2400 fps. I also have the Leupy 1 x 4 and can put all of my shots in a 6 inch circle at 200 yards. I beleive the gun/load is actually more accurate than this, but at that distance with that power scope it's the best I've been able to manage. I love the whole set up and its one of my favorite rifles.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    great information. I'll try RL15 and Varget first and hope I don't need to go any farther. I may give TAC a shot also.

    How long is your guy's mag box on those rugers? Any feeding issues?

    Thanks again, Jake
    I had some minor feeding issues,polished the feed ramp and problem solved.I recently bought a laminated wood stock that I am going to fit after deer season.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    175

    Default laminated stock...

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I recently bought a laminated wood stock that I am going to fit after deer season.

    That was my plan exactly You'll have to send me some pic's when your done. Did you use a factory take off?

    Jake

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    That was my plan exactly You'll have to send me some pic's when your done. Did you use a factory take off?

    Jake
    No I actually bought a lamtech stock off Gun Broker for 50.00. Very nice looking nutmeg stock the recoil pad is crap and I have to open the well for the magazine box but it should be a fun little project.

  11. #11
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    great information. I'll try RL15 and Varget first and hope I don't need to go any farther. I may give TAC a shot also.

    How long is your guy's mag box on those rugers? Any feeding issues?

    Thanks again, Jake
    As I recall the ruger mag box is 2.90" and my loads are 2.875". The action is a bit rough as the ruger bolt races are as cast, and I haven't polished them yet. It feeds just fine.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As I recall the ruger mag box is 2.90" and my loads are 2.875". The action is a bit rough as the ruger bolt races are as cast, and I haven't polished them yet. It feeds just fine.
    I spent about a day polishing everything and now she is as slick as a whistle. I agree the investment casting leaves a lot of rough edges. The magazine box on mine is 2.90" as well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •