Thread: reviews on Remington model 770 .300 mag

Default reviews on Remington model 770 .300 mag

I'm looking at buying a new rifle and wanted to know people's review on Remington 770 .300 mag. Thanks for the replies.

I was in the same boat as you a few days ago, for the price you think, thats good and its a Rem.. I did a lot of reading form other people and asked others and they said Rem. should stay with the 700. I read where peoples internals on their 770's were breaking and they had to send them back into Rem.

So I went with the Wetherby Vangaurd 300. Sportsmans has them on sale this month with a scope/case/sling for 499.99.

Complete junk...

Smile

I'd stay away from the 770, especially if the Weatherby is competitively priced. That said, there are few guns on the market, not even Weatherby, that can compete with the price/quality of the 700. Of course, you're looking at $750+ just for the gun, but compared to the Weatherby you are getting a much better trigger, accuracy to spare, and a gun made in the USA. My Model 700 in .300 Win Mag has taken coyotes, deer, antelope, and bison (all with handloads) from 100-600yds, not to mention the 500-1,000 rounds I put through it each year at the range. It has always shot MOA or better. But a gun needs to fit you, both at the shoulder and in the wallet, so if the Weatherby speaks to you then go for it.

When the weather sucks just remember: your chances of getting a deer sitting in the house are about zero.

Also, if you're thinking of going foreign, the Howa 1500 makes an excellent package gun with a Hogue stock and scope for about $500. As far as quality, Howa makes the Weatherby Vangaurd.
    Good luck and shoot straight!

What about the Savage .300 win mag w/scope? Is this a comparable/competitive gun? I was at sportsmans today and they had it for $419.

Look at the Tikka T3, I've got one in .270 and 2 friends in .300wsm and all are real tack drivers. They start from $500 to $750 or so.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM, and really like it. I was going back and forth between the Weatherby and ther Tikka. The Tikka just felt better.

I'd opt for stainless and get the Tikka. MOA or better out of the box accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by steelplates View Post
    What about the Savage .300 win mag w/scope? Is this a comparable/competitive gun? I was at sportsmans today and they had it for $419.

My buddy has a Savage in 300 Win. It shoots better than he can.
    That being said, I think the "synthetic" stock on it is complete junk. They seem to be decent rifles, and have a reputation for being a cheap, "beater" gun with more accuracy than many of the more expensive brands.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

does anybody have any experience with the remington xcr?

Default Try a Winchester Mdl 70

There are still a lot of the Winchester 70 classics avaliable used and like new at around the $600 mark.

If you are buying a .300 Mag to hunt serious game that may bite back the Win. 70s Classics do have the controlled feed that the other American made guns - other than the newer Rugers - lack.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK