Thread: help ID this conical

Default help ID this conical

Several years ago a buddy gave me a bunch of these .50 cal conicals. He got them from a friend who cast them. I always just called them Great Plains Bullets, but they are slightly different than the GPB you buy at a retail store. My real interest in knowing what these are is I would like to cast my own of this design but have been unable to find a set of molds with this design. They shoot incredibly well out of my flintlock. I've only shot a handful of whitetails with them in the past, would love to try them out on a moose someday. Solid nose, hollow "skirt" type base, 375 grains. I've never used a felt wad with them as I never thought I could improve accuracy over what I'm already getting. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi there, They look like Lee's Improved Mini,traditional design.They are supposed to be .500 in diameter and weigh 360 grains. It's great you have had such good sucess with this slug as the Lee mould is pretty cheap compared to some others. Good luck. Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    Several years ago a buddy gave me a bunch of these .50 cal conicals. He got them from a friend who cast them. I always just called them Great Plains Bullets, but they are slightly different than the GPB you buy at a retail store. My real interest in knowing what these are is I would like to cast my own of this design but have been unable to find a set of molds with this design. They shoot incredibly well out of my flintlock. I've only shot a handful of whitetails with them in the past, would love to try them out on a moose someday. Solid nose, hollow "skirt" type base, 375 grains. I've never used a felt wad with them as I never thought I could improve accuracy over what I'm already getting. Thanks for the help.
    Is this it? Yours is a little rough, but the weight looks right.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Is this it? Yours is a little rough, but the weight looks right.
    Hey BrownBear, the link takes me to the homepage of Gun Works. Was there a specific mold you were wanting to point out?

Jeff

This might be it, can't quite tell if this mold produces a hollow base though.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodg...Cat2Option=yes

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    This might be it, can't quite tell if this mold produces a hollow base though.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodg...Cat2Option=yes
    Hmmm. That's odd. Anyway, it's the Mini Bullet Mold - .50 Cal - .500 Dia - 360 Gr - SC. Go to Shooting Supplies--> Casting Equipment-->Lee. And yeah, it's a hollow base. That's what the core pin is about: "Automatic core pin mold. Open the mold upside down to empty. Close it and you're ready to cast the next. The core pin automatically centers in the mold."

BrownBear,

The second time I opened the link it worked just fine?????

Default Got it!

The one BrownBear pointed out was it! I ordered the mold and it has arrived. Can't wait to start casting some lead