Thread: Kahahawai

Default Kahahawai

Let's here about the Brook's hunt. Nice ram & grizz. Special congrats to your son.

Default Brooks Range Sheep hunt 8/8/08 - 8/17/08

Will do,

Planned this hunt last year, and booked the air service back in December, because sheep bookings usually book up before the new year for the harvest areas. Tried to book with Coyote air out of coldfoot but he turned me away and said he takes care of the outfitters first and whatever openings he had left is what he would offer me if there was any, so I knew i would not get in on opening day to where i wanted to go. So anyway, I flew with "Circle Air" out of Central, AK. "Frenchy" is the pilot, and a good one who has 49 year of experience, took the Helio 295 courier, and he picked us up in his 206. He has several different planes, to his collection.

I thought it was a good hunt to take the kid, so that was the plan. the main quarry is Sheep, i told him if we saw a Griz the first few days we were going to let him walk, especially because we had to spike camp from our main camp which was several miles out and UP!!! We were the only ones hunting this area so it was nice but a little weary, we did not hike out until the next day, So on the 9th, the plan was to sit on a ram and shoot at midnight, the plan was to do a litlle short hike without our sleeping bags and bivys, what a mistake that was !!! we ended hiking 5-plus miles into a drainage, saw several rams but they were really high near the snow line, and without the sleeping bags we weren't going to risk it, so at 5p.m. we started back, well on the way back my son spots some rams across a river, which first looked to be all little dinkers, 1/2 and 3/4, so we sat and glassed for about an hour, then all of a sudden a nice dark horned full curl ram came out of no where, i told my son if we have to question a certain ram even with the spotter we won't pursue it, well this ram was obviously a shooter, just by looking thru the binos, anyways the rams where feeding down and we decided to cross the river ditch the packs and just take our rifles and one pair of binos. Well what seemed to be right over there was actually almost a mile away. we made it up the mountain around 10p.m. so the plan was to wait to midnight. well just our luck the fog monster rolled in and we couldn't see maybe 50 feet in front of us, plus we were freezing, hungry, and thirsty. we were hurtin' bad, so i decided we head back. after getting lost and walking thru water soaked muskeg we had to spend the night at our packs, we found an indention in the tundra and covered my son up with a large game bag and his "OR" pack cover, I put my "Neos" on and used my "OR" pack cover slept until 7 am and started our trek back...A big lesson learned., we took a break the next day. the following day we set out for a two-three night bivy camp at 6000 feet we saw several rams, and put a couple of stalks but you know sheep they have that special gift of their eye sight and couldn't get into shooting distance, well we decided to head back, and when we got back there was another plane sitting on the ground near our camp site, never saw the guys but guess they went out for sheep too. on the 14th i set a plan to go the opposite way we went before, and this time i told my son if we see a nice griz we should take it, so about four hours into our hike we spotted a griz, he was high too, we watched him for a while, and he seemed to be moving away from us going higher, i promised my kid "first shot' at whatever game whether it be sheep, bear, bou whatever, So the stlk was on, and about an hour or so later, I ranged him at 101 yards, he looked good, great hide, no rubs, so i gave the word to shoot, and at that point he busted us and stood up on two legs to look at us, he put the cross hairs on his chest and shot and the bear dropped, he was still moving around so i told my son to shoot him again. Now this is the funny part while I was skinning the bear, I noticed some sheep coming down, I glassed them and noticed they were rams, with one that stood out with Heavy bases, so I dropped what i was doing and the stlk was on, I was high and they were below us, My son got busted by a smaller ram, so i told him don't move and keep looking at him, and it worked, the ram commenced to feeding again. I couldn't get any closer than 273 yards, But i was confident with my rifle, I looked him over one last time, and noticed he was heavily broomed off about 7-8 inches on his right side, so then i was thinking about shooting the thinner horned ram, but I couldn't help noticing his bases, so I decided to shoot the ram with the big bases, I hit him the first time but he was still standing, he was quartering away, but I hit him high left hip ( you can see in the pics) I hit him again, and the third shot i hit the rock not too far in front of him so now i was out of ammo, but he did go down, My son left his rifle at the bear, which was quite aways away, the other rams hung around for a while waiting for this bruiser to get up, my son could've had a ram too if he had not forgot to bring his rifle or me more ammo..oh well, can't get greedy, we had two animals down, and it was getting dark, we took a bunch of pics because the plan was to get the bear out and leave the sheep until morning, another mistake, I had a hunch another bear was going to hit the carcass, and sure enough it did, we made a bunch of noise going in to scare off whatever because i did not want to skin another bear, sure enough when we got closer to my sheep, it was covered with muskeg, however the bear only got to the entrails, so i saved the cape, and whatever meat i could get, we were right next to a creek so alot of washing meat, while looking over our shoulders, i knew the bear was near but i just wanted to get out of there, we went in light, one rifle and game bags, along with PB&J sandwichs, because we knew we were going to come out heavy, Got all the backstraps, tenderloins,both shoulders and hind quarters, tried to get the ribs, to eat back at camp but the bear trashed them up bad. Anyways it was a good hunt got back to camp called the air service to pick us up next morning ( left one day early) we were beat, and tired but happy to say the lease. my son did tell me he really wanted a Grizzly bear more than a sheep, I said what are you, "crazy" i'd rather have the Sheep. I guess its a kid thing. My sheep had 13.5 inch bases( looked like 14" in the scope), and the long horn was 37.5, the bear went about 6 foot plus est., not huge but nice. i guess from what everyone says they don't get that big in the Brooks, but some ocassional 7-8 ft every now and then.

My rifle: Nosler M48 270WSM shooting 130 gr Barnes TSX
    Son's Rifle: Kimber Montana .260 Rem. shooting 120 gr. BarnesTSX
    Packs used: Barneys Pinnacle, Barneys Hunter pack
    optics: Carl Zeiss Spotter, Swarovski 10 x42 EL, Leica Trinovid 10x42
    Raingear: Sitka Nimbus ( I like this better than the HH, lighter and packs down small)

Another lesson learned; Don't be skimpy on a tripod for your spotter, my cheap tripod became a bipod, and realized that it is not easy setting the spotter stable on your pack.

Hope this was informative, if any of you have the chance to take your kid sheephunting...Do it !!! even if we didn't get anything, the time we spent and the trials we went thru surpasses anything I have ever done in my life!!!

Jimmy, nice sheep you got last year, and the youtube clip was awesome, probably run into you goat hunting (DG475), we'll be there Oct!!!!

Default Packin' sheep

Congrats on an awesome trip/trophies. I cant wait to get my kids out big game hunting. Sound like it was a trip to remember for sure!

Default Circle Air

I goes nowhere without my bag. You mentioned last year's ram. That was one particular time I was sure glad I had it. We ventured off from the spike camp with 24 hours worth of food and our sleeping bags. Found a band of rams we couldn't put the sneak on that day. Slept under the Aurora that night, woke at first light and had a dead ram within the first hour. The conditions were perfect that night...no complaints. My sleeping bag is my life line. Sure beats the hell out of those crummy thermal blankets.

Sounds like it all worked out in the end. Job well done.

We will be wrapping up our Kodiak hunt on the 2nd of Oct. Good luck to you!

Cool

Chuck, glad to see that you made it home alright. Sorry that I didn't get to see you before you headed back South. Great hunt! Like I always said, you have the luck, but on the other hand you have to put the time and effort in to make the luck pay off. Good luck with the Goat hunt. Keep me posted.

Thanks Scott, yeah I waited around for you, and saw all the Bou you guys got from up North, one of the two animals I need left to complete my "Alaska Big Five" Hopefully the Goat hunt in Kodiak pans out for me, but if not, no worries...just another reason to keep coming back...wife and the kids like sheep meat too!!!!!.................Chuck

Default A young sheep hunter feeling the pain of going vertical- carrying close to 30lbs

How'd your son like the rifle carrier on his pack? With a light load my son hated his. An 8# rifle hanging off the side was very uncomfortable for him when he only had another 20# in the pack. I finally just strapped it on the back of the pack down the centerline.

Default pack load

I believe I counter balanced it by puting the Spotting scope and tripod on the other side, which made it almost even. I on the other hand carried two 70 oz Platapus pouches of water, because it got to be a pain to stop and treat water, I just assumed to go thru the pain of carrying it. It was either he carry the water or the scope & tripod, of course he chose the scope.

Chuckles! I heard you were in town. I didn't catch you on base, I was busy tending to ***** (and you know that's the god's honest truth.) Glad to see you had a good hunt. I got skunked trying to stick a 'Bou with an arrow this year, who knows maybe the misses will let me give it another try. You'll have to stop in and say hi in Oct.

Kawa, What Barneys pack are you using, and which one is your son carrying? Do they both have a built in rifle holder? Thanks, I'm just trying to pick a pack for my sheep/moose hunt which is a mere 364 days away. Ken

Default Barneys Packs

I am using the Pinnacle pack and my son is using the hunter pack, both come with the rifle holder which is really nice. Jubal at Barneys configured it for him because he has small body frame and he only weighs 75 pounds, Got to be careful when puting a young kid in these packs it could really mess up their backs, but Jubal knows how to configure it. The big disadvantage on the pinnacle is that you can put too much stuff in it.

Default Great memories!

Thanks Kaha... for the trip narrative, gear list and lessons learned. Just great reading about hunters taking their kids out for a wonderful experience. Its great to be an American!

Hey K... awesome story!! loved the pics... great seeing ya! Stop by whenever. You always have a place to crash if needed. You've got me thinkin sheep now!!!
    Good luck!
    Steve