Thread: huge rainbow

Default huge rainbow

So my brother-in-law comes up for his first visit to Alaska. He wants to do some rainbow fishing, as he's really into fly fishing the San Juan quality waters in New Mexico. We go out Saturday and catch lots of fish, rainbows and dollies, in the canyon on the Kenai. Probably a few into or close to the mid-20" range. Then, Monday, we go out with different guide (the one I picked). Slower fishing in the middle river, but probably 6 or 7 fish in the 23-25" range, and I landed a 31.5" PIG of a rainbow. The guide estimated it at 15 pounds, though we didn't get a girth. I almost (but not quite) wished it was my brother-in-law who caught it, since he's the big fly fisherman, but I'm not complaining. As soon as he can figure out how to get the photo out of his phone, or the guys from San Diego email me a pic, I'll get one posted.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Im looking forward to seeing that pig of a fish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default HAH

I bet you are chuck! Seeing as how you didnt get to see, but the fat tail fin of your enormous rainbow... yes yes.... you must be eager to see what his kind looks like!! hahah just kidding bro, i got to give you sheiza for that

Default The picture

Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default wow!

Nice Looking Fish!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

You're not holding it close enuff to the camera or far enuff away from your body!!!

'Tis a decent 'bow tho . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    You're not holding it close enuff to the camera or far enuff away from your body!!!

'Tis a decent 'bow tho . . . . . .
    Yeah, I know...if it were a dead salmon, I'd have been less inclined to quickly get a photo and get it right back in the water. I don't have a lot of experience holding huge rainbows for the perfect picture! I'll have to work on that...

Thats a decent fish. I dont think its 15lbs though.

Default either way

It is a beautiful fish and thanks for sharing it and handling it very carefully. Nice job

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    Thats a decent fish. I dont think its 15lbs though.
    I was wondering...not that I've ever known a guide to estimate high...anyone venture a guess (or firsthand experience) of what a 31.5 inch fish (this one in particular) would weigh?

Nice fish. So who did you go out with?

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    Nice fish. So who did you go out with?
    Jason with Troutfitters. Great guy and guide.

Default Ill give it a guess

Nick does not look like a tiny man and if you look at the girth of the fish in his hands it is a fattie for sure. Compare this fish to some of the 2nd run reds you see and it is at least 12lbs in my book and could be 15. My guess it the 12-13 range. Just a fat hog though and it has not been hooked much and has been handled well from the looks of the mouth

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Nick does not look like a tiny man
    No, I've never been accused of being "tiny" I can guesstimate salmon pretty close, and this fish was definitely a hefty silver-sized fish...but the color and just the fact that it isn't a salmon had me a little hard put to guess it's weight. Therefore, I was happy to go with what the guide said. I'd bet it doesn't have the girth of a similar length silver...maybe by the end of October it would, though, or at least the belly.

If the guys from CA send their pics, I'll post any good ones, too...they may have a better or different perspective on the fish and the not-so-tiny man holding him. Actually, come to think of it, the other pics would be of Jason holding the fish, but he's not too tiny either.