Thread: UDAP Bear Fence issues

Unhappy UDAP Bear Fence issues

I have been curious to give one a try and managed to borrow the UDAP back packer model. While reading the instructions and generally figuring the thing out I was very surprised to discover that when turned on, the electric charging unit that came with the fence emits a steady squeaking noise that sounds a lot like a predator call. Besides the obvious issues with potentially calling bears, it is not a noise I want to listen to in moose camp. Has anyone used this unit and can they make any comments on the noise?

Dave- I borrowed a UDAP unit to take on my Kodiak hunt. I wanted to take two fence units so I got another charger from a neighbor that used it for their goats...it was a Zareba 4-Dcell unit. When we arrived at our camp site in Kodiak I hooked up the UDAP unit and was rather disturbed by the squealing noise it made. I pulled out the Zareba unit and it was just a loud "tick" every second. We didn't end up using the UDAP unit and stuck with the Zeraba unit. Based on this I wouldn't buy a UDAP kit. Unfortunately the Zeraba unit ways a bunch more than the UDAP unit. If you are flying in, or not packing far, that is no big deal.

Dave, if you'd like to borrow the Zareba charger you are welcome to it. Send me a PM. On a side note, bring a machete. You need to clear the ground right down to nothing where the fence line runs.

Thanks Doug! I'm heading out on Sat and don't really need it ( I hope) but I may take you up on the offer for my Kodiak hunt in OCT. If we geett our Moose in I may set it up to see what happens.
    Dave

'Nother old thread - good topic.

Had two UDAP kits. Worked fine, but as they wore out - happened by Eagle Enterprises in Anchorage couple years back.
    Eagle is carrying the 2lbs fence kit, used to be made (still are?) by ElectoGard in the Valley. Might remember seeing the gentleman who made them at the Great Alaska Sportsmans Show (March 29th - April 1st, 2012).

Anyway - this fence has better engineered posts and a generator which uses 2 AA cells instead of the 4 D cells of the UDAP's I owned. A friend and I used lithium AA's which lasted forever and weren't bothered by the cold much. One set ran most of 3 days. And, it's quiet.

I liked the Eagle Enterprises fence (I think they bought out ElectroGard?) quite a bit and favor it especially thinking it's a local product - or at least money being kept local.
    See it: http://www.eaglesafety.net/Home_Personal/eagle_enterprises_safety_solutions_bearfence.html