Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who FFL do you use to ship a gun to the lower 48?

Default Who FFL do you use to ship a gun to the lower 48?

Hi Guys
    Can someone tell me who FFL they use to ship a gun to the lower 48?
    Thanks for the help.

Default FFL Sorry in Anchorage

In Anchorage
    Thanks

You don't need an ffl holder on this end to ship to the lower 48, you just take the ffl for the receiver to ups.

When I need an ffl in Anchorage I always use Vince at Precision Arms- reasonable prices and a friendly guy. The shops I am familiar with charge exorbitant fees.

Doug

You don't need an FFL at all if you're shipping long guns, just address them to yourself wherever it's going. I verified this with an FFL holder earlier this year and mailed 7 guns that way.

Default FFL

So I can just ship it to the lower 48 and not use a FFL?
    Thanks for the help.

Are you shipping them to yourself? If yes, the answer is yes.

Default Thanks

I'm shipping to someone else, so what do I have to do then?
    Thanks

Default shipping guns

This is the deal, if you are sending them to yourself then you are good to go. Only long guns, for pistols of any kind you have to send them non- fire able throu the mail. Legally you can not send a pistol to any other person besides youself. So if you are selling it to someone (pistol) then you have to go throu a FFL because of a federal issure. I have sent many guns myself in the mail but it was always to myself.

''Now if you are just sending these guns to yourself (addressed to yourself then you are good to go and legel, even if they are pistol non-fireable.''

I hope this helps some MP me if you need more information.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default FFL

Ok Thanks, It is a long gun and am sending it not to myself, to a friend, do I still need to go through a FFL, and anyone have a Idea on the cost?
    Thanks for all the help.

Default Just picked some up

I just picked up two long guns from the regular post office mailed to me from two diffrent guys that are comming up to hunt next week. We/They did not address them to them selves nor use any FFL, they were marked from them to me on the address. No Problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    I just picked up two long guns from the regular post office mailed to me from two diffrent guys that are comming up to hunt next week. We/They did not address them to them selves nor use any FFL, they were marked from them to me on the address. No Problems.

Technically a long gun can be shipped via USPS to your self at another address interstate but cannot be shipped to another individual interstate (across state lines). An individual can ship a long gun to another individual in the same state. The USPS will not allow a handgun to be shipped except dealer to dealer, instate or across lines. UPS and FedEx and other commercial carriers will ship handguns from individuals to FFL holders in another state. You will get various bits of erroneous information from the USPS and other shippers.

To ship any gun in the US mail you must declare it as a firearm. There is no law that will allow you to ship a handgun whether disassembled or non-firable or not in the US mail except to and from a dealer.

Now the fact that the Post Office often violates their own rules as well as federal law won't keep you out of the pokey if you ship a handgun by US mail and it gets confiscated and you are contacted by the boys in blue.

Postal regs and the ATF rules will allow you to legally ship a long gun to your self at another address, to be waiting for you when you get there, in care of you friend or guide. I've done it many times and have the regs and rules all printed out and studied up. Handguns from an individual must go to an FFL holder, to be legal.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    Ok Thanks, It is a long gun and am sending it not to myself, to a friend, do I still need to go through a FFL, and anyone have a Idea on the cost?
    Thanks for all the help.
    You can ship a long gun to a friend or even an enemy within the same state. You must ship it to your self in care of your friend if he lives in another state. This friend will then hold the package for you for when you get there. You must declare it as a firearm to the post office.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murph,

As a Goderator, and since people ask this question like...three times a week, and get all kinds of crap answers that will just get them sent up the river, for some reason the word "search" does not mean anything to them and/or they don't know how to use the search function, can/will you place a sticky for these people so they can go to

http://www.atf.gov/

or

http://www.atf.gov/faqs.htm

or

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

or just forget it. Even if you had a giant sticky "Shipping Firearms Questions for Monkeys and Baboons" they'd still post questions.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Do it legally

I've had rifles sent to me by people from other states. The way you go about it is to have the person receiving the firearm FIRST go to a local FFL holder and start the paperwork.
    I believe that the FFL dealer will provide some sort of documentation that the recipient or the FFL holder will forward to you. You will then send the firearm to to the FFL holder, when FFL holder receives the firearms they will then get a hold of the other person who will then fill out the yellow paper work and receive the guns.
    The cost per gun varies, where I live the FFL holders charge between $15-$30 per gun. If you are sending several firearms maybe they'll give you a volume discount.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I've had rifles sent to me by people from other states. The way you go about it is to have the person receiving the firearm FIRST go to a local FFL holder and start the paperwork.
    I believe that the FFL dealer will provide some sort of documentation that the recipient or the FFL holder will forward to you. You will then send the firearm to to the FFL holder, when FFL holder receives the firearms they will then get a hold of the other person who will then fill out the yellow paper work and receive the guns.
    The cost per gun varies, where I live the FFL holders charge between $15-$30 per gun. If you are sending several firearms maybe they'll give you a volume discount.
    Mark
    Yah, that's about it. The trick is if one individual is giving, or selling the firearm to someone else, that is transferring, and the thugs want paperwork on it. If an individual is just moving to another state, then the long-guns can be mailed or sent via common-carrier to an individual in the state to which the original owner is heading. The firearms can be picked up by the intermediary, but the packages cannot be opened, this is receiving, which the thugs frown upon seriously.
    When speaking of sidearms the USPS has their own rules promulgated during the reign of Komrad Klintoon as another squeeze. But you have to read those on their website. Only in specific, narrowly defined instances can sidearms be sent through the mail.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default How about this?

I left my muzzle loader with my dad in NY, and now I want it back. The gun guy at Mt. View sports wants to charge me something ridiculous to use his FFL. I think it's crap, because it's my gun. ATF says I can ship a gun to myself in care of someone else. They specifically cite that I can send it to myself in care of ____ and have ____ hold it for me. Does that work in the inverse? Do you think my dad can ship me the gun, and put under sender: "Greg under care of William"? That seems like it should work, eh?

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

You dont need an FFL to send a Muzzleloader.

---

Here is how I send rifles.

I tell the recipient to give me the FFL address they plan on receiveing the gun from.

I then send the gun to that address.

No declaring at the post office either.

Muzzle loaders don't need a FFL that's why you can buy one from the Gander mountain catalog but not a cartridge firearm. Another loop hole no one has mentioned. With Contenders and Encores this is really easy...send the gun in 2 boxes, receive in one, barrel in the other, when sent this way any rifle can be sent anywhere you please...it's not a complete gun!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    With Contenders and Encores this is really easy...send the gun in 2 boxes, receive in one, barrel in the other, when sent this way any rifle can be sent anywhere you please...it's not a complete gun!
    Following that info. will get ya some time in the federal pen! The receiver/frame of any modern cartridge gun(not a pre 1899 antique or any muzzle loader, old or new) needs to go to a FFL.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default post office

i have turned away at the post office sending guns back to factory, Gary over at arctic gun works told me to use UPS..insurance was cheaper also. cost 44.00 with 700 insurace to ship fbk to MAss. and they are fine there. but the UPS package stores won't take it either has to go to the hub office. if your using an FFL to send you gun for you. he will need a copy of the FFL receiving it... a call to receiver with senders fax number is all it takes. unless your sending to your self, use the FFL way, pay the fee, stay outa trouble. most of the on line gun rooms, IE: gunbrokers.com have a list of dealers in your area that send/receive firearms.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast