Thread: How Do I Get Started On A Homestead

Default How Do I Get Started On A Homestead

Hello I Am Sick Of It All I Never Ever Really Fit In In Mainstream Society I Can Work Hard And Am Crafty With My Hands But Not Good At Getting Along With Other People To The Point I Can Successfully Maintain Employment Heck If I Am Still At A Job 3 Weeks After I Start For Me Thats A Career

{Racist comments removed by webmaster} I Have Spent The Last 15 Years As Basically A Homeless Wanderer Hiking Or Bicycling Across The Western And Central United States And British Colombia Doing Odd Jobs Along The Way To Buy Supplies I Have Spent A Great Deal Of Time In The Bush Weather Squatting In The Northern Boreal Forests Or The Southwest Deserts So My General Survival Skills Are In Tune

Recently My Father Died And Left Me 12 Thousand Dollars In Liquid Cash And Another Five Thousand In Government Bonds And Me And My Girlfreind Would Like To Set Up A Homestead In Alaska With A Cabin Off The Grid And Basically Provide 4 Ourselves As We Have Been Doing Together For Years Whats The Best Way To Go About It
    Last edited by Webmaster; 09-07-2008 at 22:15.

Homesteading in Alaska is over. You can get remote land in areas open to staking, but it must be surveyed and purchased from the state. 17 grand isn't going to get this done in this day and age. You might be able to purchase land with a small cabin on it for close to that, but it won't be much.

If you are planning to do it this year it is too late. Not enough time to winterize a cabin, get in supplies, and cut firewood before the snow flies.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Homesteading in Alaska is over. You can get remote land in areas open to staking, but it must be surveyed and purchased from the state. 17 grand isn't going to get this done in this day and age. You might be able to purchase land with a small cabin on it for close to that, but it won't be much.

If you are planning to do it this year it is too late. Not enough time to winterize a cabin, get in supplies, and cut firewood before the snow flies.

I AM NOT NECCESSARILY SET ON ALASKA SO TO SPEAK I HAVE JUST READ PUBLICATIONS ON HOMESTEADING BUT THESE MAY HAVE OUT OF DATE INFORMATION ALSO WE ARE AWARE OF THE TIME FACTOR FOR PREPARATION IF WE WERE TO GO AHEAD WE WOULD DO IT IN SPRING WE USUALLY SPEND WINTER MONTHS IN ARIZONA OR NEVADA ANYWAYS WE JUST THOUGHT THE IDEA OF A PLACE TO CALL A PERMANENT HOME WOULD BE NICE BUT WITH TODAYS PRICES YOU ARE RIGHT 17 THOUSAND AINT MUCH THATS FOR SURE WE ARE ALSO TOYING AROUND WITH THE IDEA OF AN RV BUT THEN AGAIN INSURANCE, FUEL AT 4 DOLLARS A GALLON, AND COSTLY MAINTAINENCE

Default Hey there Mr. Sick,

Sounds like a great idea, but $17k doesn't go very far in the Greatland. Might be better off finding a more suitable spot for less $$ in North Central Idaho with a more forgiving climate and growing season.

Regards,

Coaldust

Quote Originally Posted by SICKOFITALL View Post
    Hello I Am Sick Of It All I Never Ever Really Fit In In Mainstream Society I Can Work Hard And Am Crafty With My Hands But Not Good At Getting Along With Other People To The Point I Can Successfully Maintain Employment Heck If I Am Still At A Job 3 Weeks After I Start For Me Thats A Career

I Have Spent The Last 15 Years As Basically A Homeless Wanderer Hiking Or Bicycling Across The Western And Central United States And British Colombia Doing Odd Jobs Along The Way To Buy Supplies I Have Spent A Great Deal Of Time In The Bush Weather Squatting In The Northern Boreal Forests Or The Southwest Deserts So My General Survival Skills Are In Tune

Recently My Father Died And Left Me 12 Thousand Dollars In Liquid Cash And Another Five Thousand In Government Bonds And Me And My Girlfreind Would Like To Set Up A Homestead In Alaska With A Cabin Off The Grid And Basically Provide 4 Ourselves As We Have Been Doing Together For Years Whats The Best Way To Go About It
    Last edited by Webmaster; 09-07-2008 at 22:19.

I have considered idaho and have quite good knowledge of the area stayed in post falls, AREA many times for seasonal employment have also looked at my home state of montana but land is very expensive west of billings in the moutains because of california migration and its popularity with hunters, fishermen, and other outdoors activites alike even a 10 acre parcel with merely a shack can fetch upwards of 30-40 grand and they get it too east of billings forget it land is dirt cheap but its parched dry grass plains not much forest and sporatic water supplies windy too

{racist comments removed by webmaster}
    Last edited by Webmaster; 09-07-2008 at 22:18.

Wink

{Comments removed by webmaster} we are planning on heading to arizona or southern nevada to hold out till winter passes and will spend much of winter comtemplating, preparing, and planning what to do cause time is short and we are not set up so to speak but if i could find a cheap enough piece of land with plenty of woods, good growing climate and waliking distance of a good water source i am very good at carpentry and woodworking so buliding a cabin wont be too hard but dont have the time right now so we will probably just find odd jobs to see us through the season maybee save a few more bucks could even check with the veterans administration see if i qualify for any va loans or grant for the 7 years i spent in the army after high school had honorable discharge in 1992 shoulda stayed the military was the only real sucess i ever had in life and i would just about have enough time in for full ride retirement became homeless a about a year after that
    Last edited by Webmaster; 09-07-2008 at 22:22. Reason: Racist comments removed

Well, with 17K you have enough money to rent an apartment somewhere and break the homeless cycle. Get 2 or 3 jobs, save more cash and then you'll be set to buy a place where you want to be. If your homeless after this inheritance then it's by your own choice and nothing will ever change. Sometimes in order to get a head in life we have to settle down and suck up to the MAN. Then when things are in order again your good to go.

Start here. You can do it with what you have but it will be hard. If it were me I would choose an area go look at what DNR has then check out some possibilities that are within reach. Pick out the best buy it then spend a year or two working your butt off and save every cent you can. While you are doing that learn everything you can about living in the bush.

I'll PM you a couple of other resources.

Good Luck
    Chuck

Wink

Or there are plenty of places in the Rocky Mts, via Colorado... you can buy a piece of remote land for about $6000 for 1 acre, then build a fine little cabin for $3000. Still have
    8 grand left over. You'd need to buy some kind of vehicle to commute to a little town full of jobs, IF you wanted to work for more moola.

It can still be done on that kind of money.

Smile

Thanks alot for the helpful hints we have made our way to kingman arizona and we are probably going to take up an over the road trucking gig with a run from bullhead city az to texas n back which works for us as me n my lady friend both have current cdl n can drive as a team together so this will be a great opportunity 4 us so we are going to take it atleast 4 now i may post some photos if i get a chance of the beautiful mountain passes through arizona and new mexico

Very interesting.But there seems to be a reacurring theme here,
    the removal of the racist comments ..what gives dude. Is everybody that bad.

Default I'd say so

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Very interesting.But there seems to be a reacurring theme here,
    the removal of the racist comments ..what gives dude. Is everybody that bad.
    I see my former reply questioning the racial comments was also removed. Mr. Sick was very bold as a new member and perhaps a little on the rude side to start his first post on our little family friendly forum with a rant such as that. I hope the Moderator said something to him. Maybe it's that first impression that makes it hard for Mr. Sick get along with other folks as he suggests in his first post?

Alaska is a place where people depend upon strong interpersonal relationships to survive in a tough place, more so than anywhere else I have experienced. Additionaly, I've notice that people with totaly polar views on sensitive issues like religion and politics tend to get along better here, out of neccesity and in a more civilized way than they do outside. More so in the smaller communities. I think the lifestyle tends to draw people together, even though their views may be very different. In many ways, there is less privacy living in a small or remote area than living in a larger community. I think living in the lesser 48 offers more personal anonymity than Alaska does. Alaska also has much more cultural diversity than the outside does.