Thread: More hunters than ducks..LOL

Default More hunters than ducks..LOL

WOW!!..got to the boat ramp and have never seen that many trucks and boats trying to get into a single boat ramp since Kansas!...Crazy..but seems most of the smart guys went camping the night before..kudos to them...I will do the same next weekend. Was insane,,,Would be nice if the guys would prep their boats on top..save tons of time. I was there at 4am and did not get the boat in the water till almost 440. Got to "a" spot as there were guys in ours..(should of figured) almost shooting time..dropped a few deks,loaded the guns and shots started coming... Lots of birds flying and great action for the first few hours. I am sure they had one hell of a day staying alive..komikizi runs no less. Tons of skybusting going on..kills me watching a bird flying 1/4 mile up and listenting to about 5 guys throwing steel at them.....makes you wonder...had a group set up about 200 yards to my left, right, behind me and in front of me. Rained steel at times....how sweet it is.

None the less.....had birds for dinner, great day in the marsh and with fellow waterfowlers..great attitudes by all seen on this day and did not hear of any problems our issues...other than the airboat sitting on the bottom..anyone know who that belongs to? Would love to hear the story on that...but assume he forgot to put the plug in the boat...either way that was not a good day for this guy, what a bummer...

Game Warden was out doing his checks and ran into him on the way in to Maud lake from the creek...ask where to go in to the creek and sent him on his way...Great guy had tons of information on the area and seems more birds should be coming down soon enough. Hopefully next weekend will be better at rabbit slough.

Hope everyone had a great opener and enjoyed the new table fare.

Lighter note..this was the first time my 21/2 year old twin girls have ever tasted waterfowl...they ate it all..could not get enough...got to love the idea of having a future waterfowler in the making..Me and the wife just laughed as they reached over on our plate to grab what was left......I did bring them some wingfeathers to play with and seems they carried them all day while playing around the house...they would come up and start saying duck..dada duck..quack...drove the wife crazy.....got to love it! (gave them duck calls Saturday and told them to get ready for next weekend.(like the wife will let me drag them on an hour boat ride, bugs, wet dogs, shotguns blaring...now is when the test begin.

Great stuff, so true. Don't worry about next weekend, there will hardly be anyone out. As with most places there are a lot of opening day duck hunters then they maybe go out once or twice more the rest of the season. That being said, I have noticed a lot more duck hunters over the last few years, but nothing like opening day!

Welcome to opening day. A single point of access has a real impact on those that sleep in. HA! The first two weekends and any other "special" weekend requires you to be launched and on your way before 4am.

Luckily as the season goes the crowd tapers off to just a few of us.

This weekend will see a huge push of folks, but then nothing until moose season is over. That is when people come back out for a weekend and you can expect a huge pile of rigs again. You will see more military guys on that weekend than any other. They are done with big game hunting and looking for the next thing to do outside.

Then when someone on the inter tubes says "the northern birds are here" it gets totally crazy for another two weeks. Then pretty much dead until freeze up. Always hope for a late freeze.

Some times you will see locals doing some absolutely crazy stuff, too.

At some point a canoist will ignore the "no parking" sign on the ramp and park on the far side or up on the little knoll blocking the driveways for the larger trucks. So there you are at noon and you can't get your rig out without hauling your trailer around by hand. Makes the idea for an official ramp maintained by the state really important.

And in case you have not seen it yet. Watch out for the rock about 600 yards from the ramp. It has taken a lower unit or two during the season. Stay to the right.

I was all set up on Leaf by 5:30am and just before shooting time a few boats arrived and set up in the slough in little bunches. I heard one guy say" This is good enough" I have not seen that before to such an extent. Could have been decent pass shooting if the birds were not 200 yards up.

Jim lake had more people then in past years. From past exp. after the first weekend it dies down as the crowd goes. It won't be that crazy at the launch.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Good deal Hugh, I didn't have a good time on my opener. Buddy couldn't get off of work and I was all alone. Pulled into the palmer hayflats and drove right back out. Got kicked off a pond and said screw it and went home. If you need another shooter for next weekend hugh give me a call or PM or anyone for that matter.

Default Opener

I hear ya,,it would be great for the state to fix those rocks and maybe just smooth it out...It would be great if we could have gotten a "waterfowlers day" of duck hunters together with equipment and fix that place..but I am sure others would then join in on the hunting along with some idiots going out and tearing it up. Someone on here has to have access to a front end loader...wish I did,,it would have been fixed along time ago. Either way..makes it for an interesting hunt. I know the diehards are going to be there regardless.

That guy you heard say " this is good enougg" was probably me..LOL..LMAO right now.

LAREDNECK...we need to get together I agree,,had to take my brother and his kids for the opening day...was fun. Got a good place for us to try later on. Stay in touch.

What is funny is that 5 years ago that lower ramp was smooth. A few wild parties and drunks started pulling rocks out and tossing them into the lake right where we launch. Some mud trucks trying to climb the cliff didn't help either. The majority of the change happended in one summer and it has only become worse over the last 3 years.

Some day they will act on the Knik Public Use plan and build the ramp and parking lot up the hill. They will have to buy land from Eklutna Corp. I have always wondered why Ekluntna Corp didn't build their own facility and pick the pockets of the public. Could be that the cliff is state land or right of way and they can't touch it. Silly land owernship crap.

So that was you guys set up in the slough? There is one guy that likes to hunt the Y further up by setting decoys on both branches and then hiding on the point. He has been showing up there later in the season for the last three years so it must work for him.

LARedneck, I still have your dog vest that Jesse gave me to give back to you last winter. When we gonna meet up to exchange that? I did not get to work on the foamer due to volunteer commitments this summer. Now I am kicking myself for not working it in at some point. Speaking of Jesse, we will be heading out wednesday to survey duck survival since monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Jim lake had more people then in past years. From past exp. after the first weekend it dies down as the crowd goes. It won't be that crazy at the launch.
    Little tiny Jim Lake does not have room for more than two parties at the far end and maybe two more on long the far shore. I have been there when people snuck in during the middle of the night and took over the whole far end with their setting up decoys at mid night crap.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Little tiny Jim Lake does not have room for more than two parties at the far end and maybe two more on long the far shore. I have been there when people snuck in during the middle of the night and took over the whole far end with their setting up decoys at mid night crap.
    Jim had allot of people on there. There is a group of guys that built a blind on the far end.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default The Y

Yeah, Great spot as well as closer to the edge where the guys were with the Swan decoys. Seems there are two flyways through there and both seemed to be doing alot of shooting. I heard more on Leaf lake than in the past few years. It is ashame that you can not really work the birds out there with all the hunters..but things will change. I guided in Kansas for years and it was so great to be able to work a flock of 20-100 birds and have them dip down wings cupped letting them get 3 feet off the water before you called it. I had one duck work the decoys monday...just came in low and cupped up. Was a great sight. I truely miss the high flying birds just dropping down and coming in, or circling and you having to really work that call to bring them in. Those sere the days....With all the hunters out there..seems a bird would make a quarter circle and get shot..if that. I dont think I even blew my call...maybe once to just see how it sounded.

I know at rabbit slough I have always had a better chance of working birds and watching them react. I think that is more enjoyable than pass shooting. Probably go there this weekend..depends on where the coin lands.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    What is funny is that 5 years ago that lower ramp was smooth. A few wild parties and drunks started pulling rocks out and tossing them into the lake right where we launch. Some mud trucks trying to climb the cliff didn't help either. The majority of the change happended in one summer and it has only become worse over the last 3 years.

Some day they will act on the Knik Public Use plan and build the ramp and parking lot up the hill. They will have to buy land from Eklutna Corp. I have always wondered why Ekluntna Corp didn't build their own facility and pick the pockets of the public. Could be that the cliff is state land or right of way and they can't touch it. Silly land owernship crap.

So that was you guys set up in the slough? There is one guy that likes to hunt the Y further up by setting decoys on both branches and then hiding on the point. He has been showing up there later in the season for the last three years so it must work for him.

LARedneck, I still have your dog vest that Jesse gave me to give back to you last winter. When we gonna meet up to exchange that? I did not get to work on the foamer due to volunteer commitments this summer. Now I am kicking myself for not working it in at some point. Speaking of Jesse, we will be heading out wednesday to survey duck survival since monday.