Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Shrimp on Saturday

Talking PWS Shrimp on Saturday

We headed out of Whittier on Friday nite. Had to set up camp so didn't get to drop the pots till Saturday morning. Got 3 gallons after a 6 hour soak. What a great day. Man, some of those shrimps were huge! You really have to love the PWS!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Thumbs up Mor Pics

Love shrimp!
    how to act in public

Smile 2 more pics

what a blast!
    how to act in public

Excellent!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default how much

how much rope can you get on that spool? that is a great idea...........I threw all of mine in a 70 qt cooler -where it still rests.

1 more ? - what do you do to remove the bouy from the mainline? I tied mine in hard - so it is always a danglin with the rope...........kind of nice if I could disconnect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    how much rope can you get on that spool? that is a great idea...........I threw all of mine in a 70 qt cooler -where it still rests.

1 more ? - what do you do to remove the bouy from the mainline? I tied mine in hard - so it is always a danglin with the rope...........kind of nice if I could disconnect it.
    That hose reel belongs to my brother in law (his handle on here is Myers) and holds three 600' shots of leaded 5/16 line. Each shot has the ends tied to one of the spokes on the reel to keep separated. The bouy's are tied on with a bowline knot just before they are thrown over.
    how to act in public

when did you get back? Man that wind sure did kick up on Sunday. Herd that it was suppose to stay blowing with 6-8ft seas until tomorrow. Would like to head back to recover a couple pots I had to leave soaking due to the weather.

BTW what area did you shrimp at?
    Nice Catch!

Bullelkklr 1 more ? - what do you do to remove the bouy from the mainline? I tied mine in hard - so it is always a danglin with the rope...........kind of nice if I could disconnect it.[/quote]

Splice a big loop in the end of your buoyline then all you have to do is pass the loop thru the eye of the buoy then go over the buoy with the loop and pull it back on itself and your done, easy on easy off. Its like a loop to loop connection on a flyline.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Thanks

That is what I will do Steve - thought about a gangion - but didn't want to trust the whole she-bang to a gangion.

I'll have to wait till the little woman gitz back from Moose hunting - she is the rope splicer in the family....she spliced that 200 foot of floating to the 600 foot of sinking line and other than color you can't hardly tell that she did it - it slips right through the anchor puller.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    That is what I will do Steve - thought about a gangion - but didn't want to trust the whole she-bang to a gangion.

I'll have to wait till the little woman gitz back from Moose hunting - she is the rope splicer in the family....she spliced that 200 foot of floating to the 600 foot of sinking line and other than color you can't hardly tell that she did it - it slips right through the anchor puller.
    You can also just tie a bowline for the loop in it and tuck the end back thru the lay of the rope so it doesn't come loose. Splices do look nicer though!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    when did you get back? Man that wind sure did kick up on Sunday. Herd that it was suppose to stay blowing with 6-8ft seas until tomorrow. Would like to head back to recover a couple pots I had to leave soaking due to the weather.

Nice Catch!
    It was very snotty on Monday as well. The crossing from Dangerous Passage to Culross sure was nasty! 8-10 footers tightly spaced with the occasional 12 footer thrown into the mix. Talk about a pucker factor! My wife says never again...I agree! It is nice to kno the boat can take it, but I do not like it.

Sorry for the high jack.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Unhappy We left Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post

Nice Catch!
    Yea, we saw the forecast for Sunday & beyond, so we packed it in around 7 pm and caught up with the rest of Anchorage at the harbor. There was a line of boats waiting to get out of the water that stretched clear out of the harbor. I suspect they all knew the weather was going to turn.

It's hard to believe that Whittier charges a launch fee (that I treat as optional) when they can't provide adequate facilities. That was the only downside of the trip.
    how to act in public

If yer the fat guy in the suburban, we know who you are and have your license plate#. You owe us a launch fee.

Wink I am the fat guy in the suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    If yer the fat guy in the suburban, we know who you are and have your license plate#. You owe us a launch fee.
    And the check is in the mail. I promise.
    how to act in public

Talking SSminow

Hey, SSminow I like your up-front attitude about the size of your "tiller-handle" being used also as your forum name, very honest of you. Are you the ramp cop? Because if you are, the traffic jam that is prevalent every weekend doesn't make you look real good. Maybe you could help launch boats and shuttle people to their trucks, instead of wasting time leaning on the ramp fee box.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Yea, we saw the forecast for Sunday & beyond, so we packed it in around 7 pm and caught up with the rest of Anchorage at the harbor. There was a line of boats waiting to get out of the water that stretched clear out of the harbor. I suspect they all knew the weather was going to turn.

It's hard to believe that Whittier charges a launch fee (that I treat as optional) when they can't provide adequate facilities. That was the only downside of the trip.
    You know, I couldnt agree more! Launch fees are usually 75% less at other harbors! They offer parking within the launch fees aswell. It is a tough cookie to swallow when you figure in $20 launch, $20 tunnel fee, $10 per day parking. So now it cost $50 to drop your boat in the water compared to ohh lets just say Valdez, where you pay $10 total for the launch and parking. Just seems like a big money trap they are running there. Does not mean I will no longer pay, it just seems like a pretty steep increase in price to drop your boat in the water!

I wonder what happened with all that work they put out to bid for the harbor improvements.

I have to lean on the pay box. After I buy beer with the launch money, I can hardly stand up. This also prevents me from assisting others.

Default Bwaaaahhaaahaaaahaaaahaaahaa!!!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAHHAAA.

....chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.......

BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAA!

That was pretty funny.
    If you put that shrimp in the live well would they stay alive for awhile after being brought up in those pots?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast