Thread: Kodiak DG476

Default Kodiak DG476

Has anyone been down to 476 this year for goats? Seahawk says that some or all of the alpine lakes are still frozen. Has anyone made it into a lake in the higher elevations(1500 or above)? If anyone has any info on a saltwater drop and the conditions of the hike to goat country I would appreciate it. We are willing to walk a good distance but would rather avoid the all day alder bushwack. Thanks in advance.

My adult son and I just got back last Friday from DG475. We also had very limited options for higher lake access in our particular area. There are only really three lakes that are big enough in our area anyway. One is still frozen (our original choice), another is only at 600' and another doesn't typically have goats. Flying over the area during the take-out, it looked more to me like mid July rather than late August...lots of big, scattered snow patches at the higher elevations. After talking to ADFG in Kodiak to help us determine a second choice, we ended-up going salt water. We climbed to 2400' in less than a mile to set-up a spike camp, so it was pretty steep and took us all day. The alders weren't as bad as the tall grass and berry vines...bring a machete and leather work gloves if you do it. It is a hard way to go, but we did it. Unfortunately, the four days we spent at elevation was in the clouds with very few and very brief moments of useful visibility.

Doc...did you see any goats at all? What about blacktail?

Jimmy...we spotted a group of 11 from base camp the nite before we hiked-up. All nannies, kids and maybe a young billy or two. When we were up high we hunted despite the poor visibility, and didn't see a goat. We saw lots of deer up high, and we could have taken several good sized bucks. However, we passed and kept our focus on goats. After four days we went back down (out of food). Of course, the weather cleared to perfect once we were in base camp, and there were a couple of good sized billys that we saw on the flight out...I think they were giving us the hoof, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Doc

PM sent...thanks for the reply.

Jim

I think they were giving us the hoof, but I couldn't tell for sure.
    That's funny. Sorry to hear of your lack of opportunities to connect. But would you agree that being fogged in while in the field is better than having not attempted the hunt at all?

Best of luck Katfish.

Thumbs up

Absolutely Mtn Wx! Sorry to have given an impression that I was anything other than glad for the opportunity to be there.

We had a GREAT time. I got to be with my son, who is alot of fun. He got a chance to see that his dad still has alot of whoop@#$ in him at 56. We both felt good about the fact that we tried. It's all good.

Default Dg476

If you want to send me a pm telling me when you are going, I can tell you what I have planned. I too am hunting DG476. Thanks, Steve

Default SeaHawk Air

My experience with Rolan is that if he can not get you in up high, than no one else is going there either. Rolan and Joe (His wife) are both avid Goat Hunters and they love trying to get people in up high. My bet would be that if Rolan can't get you in "Safely" in 476 than it is not a good choice to go. He knows all those lakes and runs a turbo that gets him in and out of smaller lakes than many.
    Louis

Default 476

Thanks guys, Steve I will give you a ring. And thanks for the other info guys. Last year in 475 there was still Ice bergs floating around in the lake so I am not to suprised that it is froze still. Still wondering if anyone knows of a good hike in with limited bushwacking.

Default More info

Katfish,

If you get a moment and can give me a call tonite, I got some more info yesterday from someone that has already been there this year and will be happy to pass it on to you.

By the way, when is your hunt?