Thread: Vanes flying off

Default Vanes flying off

First of I shoot an 06 Tomcat wth a WB that I have loved since the day I purchased it. I've shot two Caribou and a Moose and have done nothing to the bow exept shoot and maintain it like new. I shoot Easton Axis arrows and have since the day I bought my bow. Well as anyone whose been up the hall road knows I came back with a few less than I went with. So I ordered a dozen from Mountain Archery and the first time I shot the arrows I lost one fleching on 11 of the dozen. So I took every fleching off and had Bill at Back Country Archery put all new Blazer Vanes on. Well guess what? I've lost seven more vanes and Im sure I would have lost more if I had'nt stoped shooting.

I never had this problem before and I havent touched a thing. Any Ideas?

Sean,
    I had PSE Carbon Force arrows with whatever vanes that came with it and I didn't lose any vanes from the WB yet.

I recently picked up Carbon Express Maxima arrows, with vanes, not Blazers, and lost a vane on my first shot. On the next shot, I lost another one.

I stripped them all, and re-fletched with Quick-Fletch QuickSpin Hunter. I wanted to get the Quick-Fletch Blazers but SW didn't have them. It was fast and easy to do it, 6 for $20. So far, they are holding up, but I only have about 4-5 shots on them.

I would buy the Quick-Fletch Blazers and try that.

I dropped all 18 off at BC tonight and Bill said he would have them fixed by the time I get off work tomorrow. He said he had another guy helping the other day. Anyway I'll shoot some at his place and see what happens. I have never heard a bad thing about Bill or his shop, I hope this is just a one off. We all get busy sometimes and s*^t happens. It just sucks that my Ft. Rich permit opened today but it' s my fault for ass-u-ming the brand new dozen were good to go.

You said that they came off from the fac, and then ones the shop did too, Just one vane each time? Was it the odd vane? You Know that whisker biscuit rest has stiffer bristles on the bottem they are different color. You need to index your arrows to have the odd up at 12.00oclock. This type of rest is known to be hard on vanes, Also have Bill Ck the tune of your Bow, since you haven,t done anything with it, stings strech, nock changes,Could be slapping that rest little more than before,

Well I got them back from Bill and as it turns out it was a combination of things. On a couple the knocks were not tuned and that would be my fault but most were just crap. Bill had someone else helping him out as he is busy as s^%. Bill even pulled a few off while I was standing there so I know it was'nt all my fault. They seem to be holding up great now, all I care about is that they fly staight and the flechings stay on.

make sure your prep your arrow shafts with 91% alcohol or a little bit of acetone before you put your fletching on. I use flex bond glue on every sort of vane, blazers, quik spins, feathers, flex fletch etc...the stuff will stick...period...but you gotta make sure your shafts are clean.