Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier report, great fishing friday and saturday

Default Whittier report, great fishing friday and saturday

We started out in main Granite bay friday evening and limited in 3 hours even while being picky about size, slept in the boat in a cove nearby (kind of cramped in a 17 foot boat...) and went back and limited out again quickly.

We checked out little Granite bay (the southern bit) but it was dead, went back to the big bay and snatching 2-4 fish per hole, then moving on when that hole went dead.

The best spot was way back at the end of the bay deep into the long shallow bay going to a stream. The ebbing tide almost got us trapped back there and we barely when I noticed the tide was getting a little low. I scraped the bottom though, no holes that I can tell. Scraped it again recovering the boat using the gravel at the side of the (east?) ramp.

12 silvers ranging from 28 to 31 inches long, average weight was 15 pounds except for 1 fatty at 18 pounds. Caught almost exclusively on red and pink squid stingers about 3 of them on green (Sportsmans has them) we kept bending the hooks on them though - had to replace 3 with good matsuo hooks.

It was a perfect fishing day, warm, not a cloud in the sky, very slight breeze.

We noticed something though; we'd hit a hole, snatch 2-4 fish out of it - then the hole would go dead and they'd start ignoring our lures even if it went right by their noses - didnt matter what kind or color of lure.
    We'd move on to the next hole and the same thing would happen, move on - same thing; 2-4 fish then nothing. Time of the day didnt seem to matter. We also found out that if we gave the hole a 3 hour rest, they'd start biting again.

So, I'm thinking the fish get used to the lures going by and start ignoring them, or they just get a little spooked from us flogging the water and quit biting.

So lessons learned; when I havent gotten a bite in 30 mins, move on. This may all seem pretty obvious to you guys, but I've only now just noticed the pattern and only because of a couple of comments on my other posts.

Something else I've noticed; pinks were completely ignoring the lures going by, do they not hit on lures in the salt much? I'm not complaining mind you , maybe because the lures are pretty large trebles...

maast, consider yourself lucky, or blessed or whatever. You're the only post I've seen of anyone actually doing any good out of Whittier over the weekend. Sounds like you got them dialed in. Nice job. It was a gorgeous day, though, so it wasn't a waste for those of us who didn't do so well.

Can I come with you next time?

Heh, its probably because I don't do any trolling if I can help it, I go to where I know they're going to school up and focus on those areas.

I think spending most of my fishing time around Esther I've learned where they'll be for the most part.

Hmm, it didn't upload my picture, I'll try again
    Last edited by Maast; 02-26-2010 at 09:03.

great pics. I still visit the site because it reminds me why I need to come back yearly.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default 3 per day 3 in possession

I believe you were over your limit for the area you were in.
    The regs read
    Other salmon, no size limit . . . . entire year . . . . . . .6 per day/12 in possession
    only 3 per day/3 in possession may be coho (silver) salmon
    Unless in the terminal harvest area, which Granite bay is not.
    Or you had 4 persons on the boat.

You're right, I was thinking it was 3/day 6 in posession, until it occurred to me on the way back to check and I went "oh cr@p"

Next time I'll just overnight in passage canal and offload the days catch to a cooler in the truck. Or just make day trips, I almost never overnight anyway - boats too darn uncomfortable to sleep in anyway.

I'm not sure what will take them out of posession, the only way I know for sure is to hard freeze them with dry ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    You're right, I was thinking it was 3/day 6 in posession, until it occurred to me on the way back to check and I went "oh cr@p"

Next time I'll just overnight in passage canal and offload the days catch to a cooler in the truck. Or just make day trips, I almost never overnight anyway - boats too darn uncomfortable to sleep in anyway.

I'm not sure what will take them out of posession, the only way I know for sure is to hard freeze them with dry ice.
    Assuming they're still in business, there's a place in Whittier that will vacuum pack and freeze your fish. I believe that to be considered no longer in your posession, the fish has to be processed such as frozen or canned. And putting them on ice in a cooler in your truck is still having them in your posession. I had the same situation come up when fishing for silvers out of Seward for more than one day and ended up having each days' catch processed in Seward for me. Nice catch by the way.

Default Not cool!

Fish in a cooler are in possession unless they have been frozen, canned . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bobber View Post
    Fish in a cooler are in possession unless they have been frozen, canned . . .
    So if they are in my cooler on dry ice frozen solid in the RV they are not considered part of my possession?

From the definitions on p. 5 of the southcentral regs:

"possession limit means the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in possession."

"preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted."

So I guess as long as the fish doesn't defrost, you'd be okay? I wonder though, if you ran into a real stickler, maybe you'd have to explain why your frozen fish is on dry ice in a cooler?

If your fish are frozen solid, you are just fine.

Question point is?

I never understood this rule. Why does it make a difference if my fish are filleted and on ice instead of frozen solid? Is it just to force me to take my fish to a processor? If there is a good reason for this reg then I will shut up, but until then I would like an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    I never understood this rule. Why does it make a difference if my fish are filleted and on ice instead of frozen solid? Is it just to force me to take my fish to a processor? If there is a good reason for this reg then I will shut up, but until then I would like an explanation.
    It keeps people from catching more than their single day limit. Let's say I go to the Russian River and catch 3 reds. Nothing could stop me from taking them up to my campsite, putting them on ice and going back for more on the same day. Many people still do this, but if they get their coolers checked then the authorities have justification for fining them.

Default Question???

What about traveling to Seward and catching a limit of silvers on Saturday, filleting them, putting them in your camper fridge, going out on Sunday and catching another days limit? Do I need to freeze them Saturday night?

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    What about traveling to Seward and catching a limit of silvers on Saturday, filleting them, putting them in your camper fridge, going out on Sunday and catching another days limit? Do I need to freeze them Saturday night?
    I believe the answer is yes.

About this statement...."It keeps people from catching more than their single day limit. Let's say I go to the Russian River and catch 3 reds. Nothing could stop me from taking them up to my campsite, putting them on ice and going back for more on the same day. Many people still do this, but if they get their coolers checked then the authorities have justification for fining them."

I agree that this makes it harder for someone to catch more than their single day limit, but I'll be some get around this by catching their legal limit for the day, taking the fish to a processor, and then going right back out and getting more fish. But I do think the reg is a good deterrent.

Yes. Freeze them. Or smoke them.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default what about sushi?

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Yes. Freeze them. Or smoke them.
    I'm kidding. I don't know anyone who can eat a limit of silvers as sushi

Question Any fish.

So is there any fish at Whittier yet?

ANGLER: RA
    TRIP DATE: 9/11
    REGION: Prince William Sound
    WATER: Whittier
    SPECIES: Silvers

REPORT: Went to Whittier to check out the fishing action. More like inaction. Head of the Bay/Shakespear was quiet as was the harbor. Drove over to Salmon Run and watched the snaggers watching the water for any sign of fish. Most were just standing there, hoping for fish and enjoying the constant rain.

$45 for gas and $12 for the tunnel, sure would be nice to at least see some fish.

Unless you are stupid enough to let them look, the person that is doing the checking would need a search warrant to step foot in your recreational vehicle. I personally wouldn't worry one bit about fish in a RV/Trailer/Truck Camper fridge. I am not professing taking more then your limit though by any means and I never have. Coming into the RV to check for fish has probably happened, but they aren't coming into mine......without word from a judge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast