Thread: Not one grouse

Default Not one grouse

it's looking pretty bad down there in delta. drove my dads farm and didnt' see one grouse, not even the honey holes. the poor dogs were bumming big time as was i. anyone have any luck finding grouse anywhere or is it the case of the crappy summer taken it's toll on the little guys.

mike

Default Chsr

Try the hills on Chena Hot Springs Road. I got 9 Spruce and 3 Ruffies over 2 mornings out this last weekend. Even ran into one group of 8 just sitting on the trail.

I have not seen many in my moose area. I have seen one twice but I think it is the same male trying to drum up a female. I almost got him with a stick but I stmbled over a downed tree in the way and scared him enough that he finally flew. They are some seriously dumb birds!

Took four this morning. Walked/hiked for 3 hours and only saw one bird that I couldn't track down in the woods, and then took 4 in 30 minutes at different locations as I was walking. 4 birds in 4 hours. not as abundant as other years, but more then last year for this early in the season.

Default No Grouse for me either

I've been having the same trouble, I've even tried new areas to see if I just needed a change of scenery. out of 4 bird hunting trips and a 3 day moose hunt I've managed to see 2 (I got them both). I hope that it picks up a little bit more by the end of the month.

Saw no shortage of sharptails up the Elliott. Took my 7 year old daughter on a drive on the 1st to look for a moose and small game. She couldn't get a beed on the grouse so I dropped one with her .22. They were unusually spooky, we had a hard time getting within 50 yards.

Default hey Jerod.....

them Sharptails are that way.EXTREMELY skittish,they'll bust 50 yards or more out.Ive had them even bust on my further out.Man them suckers are hard to get close into.But Ive managed my fair share of them around here and lucky enough to have one bg old boy mounted.

Ive been finding grouse fellas,but not near enough in the numbers like I should be.Im going out early in the morning to check a few other spots further out of town.Daniel