Thread: Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Question Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay folks,

I took the boat out this weekend and it stared porposing on me at any speed above 29 MPH. I have an extream shallow so it is a 2 stroke inboard jet w/only about 60hrs on it and I've had it for two summers now. It is sooo bad that it will all most bring the whole boat out of the water once it gets in that up and down mode. I was wondering could the impeler need to be worked on? I looked at it but it looks like a normal run impeler with some wear on the edges. I've looked and checked all other parts on the jet unit and also no damadge under neath the boat to the hull. What could this be??????

Default Trim

My guess would be something to do with trim. Were you running unusually heavy? Did you load the boat differently than usual?

Just some ideas

Default No trim

This jet has no trim on it, just the bucket goes up and down and the nosel goes left and right. The boat was light, me the wife and our hunting packs. I've never had this problem before, loaded real heavy or no load at all.

Did you have more weight in the reat of the boat and less in the front than you normally do?

Default Not really

It ws just me and the wife with two frame packs down the middle. I useally carry the whole family(5) pluse a dog(85lbs) and enough stuff to last a few days, the way the wife packs, extra fuel and a cooler and never have this much problem. I'm confused myself becasue I have had 7 guys, gear for a seven day hunt w/70gal extra gas,food, you name it we had it in there and no problem. IS there something I'm missing on the jet unit that may be outa wack? I know there are alot of XS drivers out there so let me hear it. Thanks

put some weight up front and try again...any chance there was a lot of water in your boat?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Did the rooster tail look different? I worked on a jet gill netter and it behaves weird if the buckets aren't all the way up. Could your bucket be sticking??? Other wise I would of guessed what some one already said about the boat trim. I know an outboard will porpoise when it is set wrong.

Default Jet or Hull??

My name is Jason, this is my wifes character name.

I also own a jetcraft XS, I have owned it for two summers now and it porposed up until two months ago. I thought perhaps the trim plate on the jet was the culprit...I was wrong. The problem was the inch or two of bottom that runs past the transom was not in its original condition. Long story short, as the boat aged (hit bottom, ect) the small overhang off the the rear "tweaked" upward slightly. The fix, was to bend or tweak that bit of metal on the bottom rear of the boat back down flush or just past.

After this adjustment my boat no longer porposes, runs flat as it should.
    The small tab works as a trim tab, slight adjustment makes a huge difference. Do not over bend this tab, flush or just a hair past will do the job. I used a pair of duck bill pliers too remedy my problem.

I can't be certain if this is the problem you are suffering from, but hopefully it helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask! PM me.

Default Jason is right

I've done the same thing to a Woldridge inboard that I used to own. Bend the hull overhang material level or slightly down at transom. Since you mentioned no trim available, you should be able to trim your outboard towards the transom if your outboard bracket has a pin adjustment. That would help.

Sounds like you are out of trim for the load. That explains why you run fine with more load throughout the boat. Put the wife on the bow or move a fuel tank if you can.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the inputs. I read about the small trim plate on the bottom, didn't know that was there. I was going to try this but I'll take a look at the overhang on the bottom first. I've hit bottom a few times so this could be the culprit.

tjm--When I pulled the plugs there was no water in the boat, but did notice that my bushings on my reverse bucket need replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    I did notice that my bushings on my reverse bucket need replacing.
    Be sure to get them changed before the pins wear into the bucket itself. The bushings are cheap plastic. If your bushings are gone and the bucket has started to wear there may be a chance that the bucket is slightly blocking the nozzle when it is up which may cause the boat to porpoise. Put the throttle into the forward position and check that the bucket is up out of the way of all nozzle flow.

Might be the ride plate adjustment but I have adjusted my ride plate up and down just to try it out and it has never made the boat porpoise in any position other than at speeds over 40mph.

It could also be the rear edge of the bottom like Akmommy said as a hard hit bending that edge up would explain the sudden change.

tjm--When I pulled the plugs there was no water in the boat,
    long shot but had to ask...I had a similar issue while in the middle of a trip...my load didn't change so it was a bit puzzling...turns out I cracked the hull and ended up with a lot of water in the boat, all the water was at the rear and created porposing even at moderate speeds....got rid of the water and it got rid of the bouncing.......2nd what Crumm said about the bushings, my bucket is augered out now from neglecting the bushings a couple of times....they are certainly cheap plastic but they are expensive to buy.....$55 bones for new pins and bushings sure bites the big one when you have to change them a few times a year...
    pull my finger....

Default Just ordered

I just ordered the bushings from the BoatShop and should be here on Thursday. I did check the position of the bucket when throttle is all the way forward and it is completly up out of the way. Quick question on the rear edge of the transom, could this be getting bent up due to the way the boat is trailered? I looked at mine today and when I put a straight edge to the bottom, the rear transom edge is slightly upward, maybe an 1/8", but consistant all the way across. For those of you who have the XS is yours even with the bottom or like mine slightly up? The reason I asked about the way it is trailered is becasue my bunks come out past the rear edge about 4".

Again guys thanks for all the responces.

I looked at mine today and when I put a straight edge to the bottom, the rear transom edge is slightly upward, maybe an 1/8", but consistent all the way across. For those of you who have the XS is yours even with the bottom or like mine slightly up? The reason I asked about the way it is trailered is because my bunks come out past the rear edge about 4".
    I just put a straight edge on mine and they are also about 1/8" up. My bunks end about 1" shy of the back of the boat so I know mine are not up from trailering. The bottom is a bit scratched up from a gravel bar or two but no major dents so I don't know if it started 1/8" up or not. Best bet would be to drive down to The Boat shop with a straight edge and see just what they look like from the factory. I would bet that they are slightly up just from welding distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    turns out I cracked the hull and ended up with a lot of water in the boat, all the water was at the rear and created porpoising even at moderate speeds.
    Didn't the siphon pull the water out of the boat or are we talking a BIG crack?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Didn't the siphon pull the water out of the boat or are we talking a BIG crack?
    my siphon isn't worth the plastic it is made out of...lol...but even if it was, the cracks were 2+ feet long on each side where it meets the bottom....the water would come in just about the same speed as my whimpy stock bilge could push it out.......no big deal really, $100 later I was back in business...
    pull my finger....