Thread: Looking for Professional AR15 Cleaning

Default Looking for Professional AR15 Cleaning

I have a Bushmaster AR15 that has over umpteen million gajillion rounds (little exaggeration lol) through it. I clean after every firing session but lead and copper fouling has built up quite a bit. I just dont have the tools to completely remove this stuff. Anybody have any recommendations on who does professional cleaning? I am looking for copper/lead fouling removal much like the Foul Out III system.

I don't let my get "that" bad, but here's some ideas to get you started.

I don't think the Foul Out system will be of use to you. In order to fill the barrel with liquid you'll need to take off the gas tube and plug the gas port.

Get some stuff and spend some time cleaning your rifle. Most of this stuff can be had from Midway USA and I'm sure Sportsman's will have most of it.

Here's how I clean my ARs:

Get a rifle holder to hold the rifle so you can work on it. A notch in the front for the hand guard and a clamp in the rear to hold the butt stock. I use a gizmo from Creedmore to hold the upper and lower in a static position. It's an offset part with a hole in one end and a pin in the other to line up with the take down pin/hole.

Get a chamber guide. Mine's made of some type of plastic and is a round tube with a hole in the middle to line up the rod with the rifle bore. This keeps you from damaging the chamber and puts the rod right down the center. Allows you to get a patch on the rod outside the rifle.

I use a Dewey rod to push a tight patch soaked with Champion's Choice cleaning solution down the bore. Let it sit for 5 to 15 min. Run a dry patch down the bore to muck it out. Then I pull a tight brush with the OTIS cable a couple of times. I push a tight patch down the bore to push out what the brush left behind. Then push another patch with Champion's Choice cleaning solution. etc. All movement is from rear to front. I do this several to many times until I feel it's getting clean. I then run JB Cleaning Compound down the barrel 5 times on a clean tight patch. This is a mild abrasive and some folks won't use it. Push down a a couple of clean patches. I then run a couple of patches with Champion's Choice cleaner down the bore to clean out all the JB. A couple of dry patches to pull out the CC. Then I finish with a slightly damp patch of Hoppe's #9,,,just cause I love the smell, reminds me of my father cleaning his guns.

For lots of copper, I might use some Champion's Choice Copper Remover and have used Sweet's on my .30 cal. rifles. Never leave these in the bore for more than 15 min. and be sure to wipe them out very well before using another chemical as there might be a reaction between the two. Sweet's really smells and takes the copper out! Be sure to run several dry patches after these chemicals to remove them from the bore!

Remember to let the chemicals work. Put in in, let it set for several min., then muck it out.

Don't forget to clean out the bolt and carrier!

Every one has a different way of cleaning. You need to find what works for you. For what it must cost to have a skilled gunsmith clean your rifle only two times I'll bet you could buy all this stuff.

Default Cleaning

I'd recommend Kroil... this oil penetrates. Soak overnight. Use Sweets 7.62. JB paste is used. This is the set up for many match shooters.

I have the outers.... it works, but watch it .... I have had a VERY expensive barrel get etched as it "switched" from copper to removing steel!

Use MPro-7 to thoroughly clean the gun this will remove everything down into the pores of the metal. Once you've cleaned the barrel, use a copper remover such as Sweet's or Tetra to remove the copper fouling.

I really doubt there is any leading in the bore. If by chance there is, the MPro-7 and a little scrubbing with a bore brush will be more than enough to remove it.

Once your patches start coming out clean, reclean the bore again with MPro-7 to remove any traces of the copper remover.

Relube/reoil in the prescibed manner.

MPro-7, Hoppe's Elite and Butch's Bore Shine for Black Powder are the same product.
    I suspect Aqua Clean under the Shooter's Choice label is too.
    Now what ?

The Barnes copper remover works very well.

I typically let my copper fouling go till it starts to effect accuracy, then just scrub it out. nothing you can't get out, with a good bore brush, and some elbow grease.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmysnr View Post
    I have a Bushmaster AR15 that has over umpteen million gajillion rounds (little exaggeration lol) through it. I clean after every firing session but lead and copper fouling has built up quite a bit. I just dont have the tools to completely remove this stuff. Anybody have any recommendations on who does professional cleaning? I am looking for copper/lead fouling removal much like the Foul Out III system.
    No way of knowing where you live? If you are here in the valley or Anchorage, PM me and we the two of us, can get it done!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson