Thread: choke

Default choke

What size choke does everyone use? I use a full choke, but thinking of going to the extended long choke and getting the Extra full choke.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

improved cyl

Default choke

well this morning i was using a MOD and took some birds at 50 yards or so. one was easily 40 yards out and up and he got decapitated with mod 26" barrel and 3" 2 shot in 12 ga. was working for me. just my 2cents

My buddy got me into using a Patternmaster about 3 years ago or so and i dont think i have taken it out since! definatly recomend it, My benelli had a really crappy pattern with the factory chokes so i tried it, it doesnt really have a "size" so to say, as long as your shooting 4's or larger its awesome.
    Steve

I use a Modified. Works good for close or far shots.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have been using the Carlson's extended tubes for a few years now. The "decoy" close tube works well on birds under 30 yards. I don't shoot beyond that typically since the birds are in the decoys 99% of the time. However, on opening day I was wishing for some heavy shot and a full choke since the majority of the birds were over 60 yards and hauling tail feathers.

Default MOD

I shot the modified choke and do alright. It all depends on what your doing. If you are shooting over blocks modified is all the choke you need. My buddies and I used full chokes on the big water when the birds have other places they could go rather than our cozy decoy spread. The most important is to know your gun-choke-shell combo and what it can or CANT do.

I use a modified choke for shooting steel. The Browning manual suggests 1 or 2 sizes more open from lead to steel.

It has been a number of years since I downed a crane, but when I did, and with a nice square shot, I suprised myself with the distance. I thought it was too far, but apparently not.

I like to shoot a full choke works great for me on decoying birds and gives me that extra range on follow up shoots or shoots after there buddies are laying on the water and there trying to get out of dodge. My opinion but Kicks high flyer choke tubes are the best there is.

Imp in the 1st hole
    Mod in the 2nd hole

I use a Briley light modified in my Browning gold and Remington SP10 and a PatternMaster in my SBE. Each gun has it's favorite and the pattern board proves it.

I use the Primos Deadzone chokes. They are setup one for Pass and one for Decoy. I beleive they are Pass ( Mod ) and Decoy ( IC ). Both work fine with # 3.....

I don't buy into the hype of name brand chokes - a MOD is a MOD and an IC is an IC

Never even heard of Pattermaster

I am with you cutter. I use an improved MOD and later in the year an IM MOD. Ducks within 25 yards you either pulverise them or miss. Ducks at 40 or less its like they were shot at 25 yards with IC.

Default choke & steel shot

As a general rule steel acts a choke tighter than lead. So if you have a mod standard choke it will act like a full with steel. A lot of full chokes state not shooting steel through them. I have a Winchester M-12 heavy duck (fixed full choke) that I like to take out once a year or so and I need to get heavy shot, bismuth, or ect, to shoot through it because they say steel can damage the barrel, dont know if it is true but afraid to find out. The best way is to pattern your gun, different brand and styles of the same choke size can produce very different patterns. Good luck.

I welded another 26'' barrel on the end of my gun so I can hit the close ducks and save shells, as for the long ones I can shoot them out to 150yds. I just put a little salt and pepper in the end of the barrel for those birds

Thanks for all the input.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I shoot a standard Remington Mod. out of my 870 with Kent Faststeel 3" #3's. It looks pretty tight when the shot string hits the water. I can't imagine wanting anything tighter.