Thread: Camping Supplies

Default Camping Supplies

I am in Australia and am planning to travel to Alaska and stay in a cabin on a lake run by USFS. Having to be self-sufficient I will need stove, lamp, etc. Closest major town will most likely be Ketchikan. We'll be restricted by weight on how much we can bring from Australia. Can these items be hired at all, or are we better off buying?

Ketchikan is a pretty good size fishing and tourism town. A number of stores can provide you all that you need. If you want to rent items you might ask http://www.taquanair.com/ or http://www.promechair.com/ as they fly folks out everywhere down there and they both have been very helpful to me on my visits to that region. Another option is to mail items to the Ketchikan post office General Delivery in your name...make sure you have good I.D. to pick it up, but I would guess your passport would be more than adequate. SE Alaska and the inside passage are awesome. You will have a great trip...prepare for rain, but you will have it all!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks for the info, will be great help. Am looking forward to the trip.