Thread: Making a living with a SuperCub????

Default Making a living with a SuperCub????

I am 25 years old and currently flying a 207 out of Bethel and Aniak. It is my goal to one day make a living flying a Super Cub. When I see someone doing just that they dont want to tell me much. Is there anyone that can give me advice on how to do this? I have about 1300 hours and about 750 hours flying Super Cubs in the lower 48. How can I make this dream a reality??

Pretty difficult to make a living flying two seats.

Hey champilot38;

all I can tell you is never refuse a job. Make sure that one job is the only thing that matters. if you do this then as you progress you will have a goto guy name. that is worth mountains here.

Joe

Ok so lets say a 185. How does one get started??

Fly me into the sheep mountains for free next fall. I'll come on here and share rave reviews and - viola! - you'll have plenty of business.

Quote Originally Posted by champilot38 View Post
    I am 25 years old and currently flying a 207 out of Bethel and Aniak. It is my goal to one day make a living flying a Super Cub. When I see someone doing just that they dont want to tell me much. Is there anyone that can give me advice on how to do this? I have about 1300 hours and about 750 hours flying Super Cubs in the lower 48. How can I make this dream a reality??
    What do you think about considering the Alaska State Troopers, Park Service or USF&W.

I talked to the troopers and you have to be a patrol trooper for a couple of years before you get to fly and then not even fly everyday. Not sure about the others. I want to own my own buisness with a cub or 185 just not sure how to get started.

Smile Just do it...

Do a google web search "Aircraft Insurance in Alaska"...

Talk to a broker about C-207 insurance (Hope you have at least 1,000 hours flying in Alaska).

If you can purchase insurance, contact your local FSDO and start the paperwork. . .

Oh yeah... You'll also need a banker or rich uncle!

Suggest you start with a C-207. If the 207 won't takeoff and land safely where you customer wants to go. . send him/her to a Helicopter outfit!

Try 'robair@ravecable.com' ... Rob may lease you a 207...

Good luck!

ACTS seems to make a good living with cubs teaching off field landings and backcountry work

Default you might have more luck

researching this at supercub.org? Lots been written there on this subject.

Default which way to go

You are asking one of the hardest question in aviation . There are two basic ways to go. First get a job flying light aircraft doing what you want now or keep going to get a heavy job, make enough to buy your own plane and do what you want. Here I am getting ready to retire and I have a Pacer after a lifetime of flying and look forward to flying all over Alaska when ever I want. In reflection I don't know if I won or lost or just held my place. I guess just don't end up at somebody else's idea of what your life should have been, good luck.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    You are asking one of the hardest question in aviation . There are two basic ways to go. First get a job flying light aircraft doing what you want now or keep going to get a heavy job, make enough to buy your own plane and do what you want. Here I am getting ready to retire and I have a Pacer after a lifetime of flying and look forward to flying all over Alaska when ever I want. In reflection I don't know if I won or lost or just held my place. I guess just don't end up at somebody else's idea of what your life should have been, good luck.
    And . . . . . best of luck with your retirement. Hope you enjoy it, since it's clear that you've earned it!

Mort Mason

Success is only what you personally want it to be! If you have a dream to make it flying a supercub, you can do it. Do your homework, find a niche somewhere it is needed, try not to step on anyones toes, and go for it. You may never be rich, but you will never be able to say "what if", and to me thats what life is about, never letting your dreams get away. Lifes to short to wonder if you should have done thing differently!

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for all the help guys. I think ill keep my job flying a heavy 207 and keep my eye out for a niche where I can start my own thing landing off airport. I will find a way. Thanks again.