Thread: Buffalo Bore Heavy Mag .44 Mag

Talking Buffalo Bore Heavy Mag .44 Mag

Does anyone have any experience with these rounds? There is a list of guns that are safe to shoot them out of; Taurus is not listed. Has anyone used them in a Taurus and why would they not work in their guns?

thanks

Smile Taurus Troubles

BearSlayer,

The heavy BB loads will "work" in a Taurus but I would say the Taurus is not listed because it, in general, is not considered strong enough to handle the added stress the heavy loads put on a gun. They are for limited use in most revolvers. A steady diet will shake the screws out of many more expensive guns. This is their kind of a warning.

"For occasional use only", "Keep out of reach of children", "
    Some re-assembly required", "Some models don't fit all track", and "Use only as directed" Oh, yeah, "Batteries not included"

Good shootin'.

Murphy
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default B. Bore .44 mag loads

I am sure I will get some feed back on this, but there are several Buffalo Bore loads that are past SAAMI specs, like the 395 grain load. This is a very heavy load and not suggested for all .44 mags, including S&W and Taurus. The 305 grain load is safe(er) but still heavy. The Ruger single and double actions can handle the 395 grain load, as will the TC Contender/Encore. As for Taurus, though some people like them, they are not as well made as either S&W or Ruger and will not handle the heavy loads like the Ruger will. S$Ws are fine revolvers but ultimately do not have the same strength as a heavy, solid framed gun. Using heavy loads judiciously, such as bear protection loads being sighted in and then carried for possible life threatening situations is okay, but a steady diet of them will ultimately stretch and loosen a Smith.
    The reason people have varying experiences with the Taurus is that their quality control, no matter what the glossy magazines say, is inconsistent. I have had several experiences with the revolvers personally, and I won't use them. The store I work part time in won't carry them either.

BearSlayer,
    Where is this list you spoke of that has the list of guns that it's ok to shoot the ammo out of? Would you post a link, please?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Buffalo Bore Ammo gun list

O.K., I did a little research on the guns Buffalo Bore suggests use of with their loads. This is what I found:

There are basically three levels of loads they provide - The 255 grain Keith type SWC gas check bullet load, in .44 mag which is within Saami specs and is o.k. in any .44 mag in good condition. B. Bore found that people shooting their heavier loads in the 329PD S&W, the super lightweight Scandium framed revolvers were experiencing sticky extraction and, of course, horrendous recoil. The titanium cylinders, while very strong, would expand excessively under the pressures of the heavier loads, so the cases would expand excessively making them hard to extract. This load is still pretty potent with 1350 fps in a longer barreled .44 and would work just fine for a woods load.
    The 305 grain LBT LFN, 300 grain Speer JFN and 270 grain Speer Uni-core loads are their heavier loads, and are safe in Ruger Super Blackhawks, Redhawks, Super Redhawks, Taurus .44 mag chambered revolvers, Dan Wesson Revolvers, Freedom Arms Model 83, Magnum Research BFR. They are safe in the old model larger framed Ruger Vaqueros, too. These loads are safe in S&W .44 mag revolvers, BUT, a steady diet of these loads will ultimately cause the S&W to suffer from frame stretching and loosening. A small amount of this ammo is okay, as I mentioned, for bear protection. This is my statement, not Buffalo Bore's.

Now, on my earlier post I made a mistake, stating that the 395 grain load was unsafe. I should have said their 340 grain LBT LFN Gas Check +P+ .44 mag load is their over SAAMI specs load. They can be used , according to B. Bore, in the Ruger Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Taurus Raging Bull, Dan Wesson revolvers. They state that they don't list the Ruger Super Blackhawk and Freedom Arms Model 83, because they have shorter cylinders and since these super heavy 340 grain loads can cause the long nosed bullet to pull against the crimp in the case and possibly cause the revolver to lock up if the unfired ammo isn't rotated, meaning that the ammo left in the cylinder when several are fired will have the bullets at varying degrees of lengthening due to them working against the crimp as stated, and they should be checked and fired before any new rounds that are loaded in the cylinder.
    The other thing to be careful of is the newer smaller Ruger Vaquero. Personally, I wouldn't use the heavy loads in them, but the 255 grain Keith type SWC G.C. would be acceptable.
    That's all I have on this, but if anyone else has any factual information to add, that would be good.

Default slow?

I was surprise to see the buffalo bore long and short punch rounds shooting considerably slower than 300 grain cor-bon and Federal Cast core rounds in my smith 329PD. I do carry the short punch rounds in my smith though. I figure that their terminal performance tips the scale in their favor.

Default Long and short punch

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by long and short punch? What B. Bore loads were you using in the 329PD? Cor-Bon is definitely no slouch is the loading they do!

Default Long and Short Punch Rounds

Sorry, I confused buffalo bore with grizzly cartridge rounds. Grizzly produces two rounds with belt mountain penetrators. One is a shorter overall lenght to fit in revolvers with shorter cylinders (smiths) as opposed to longs for revolvers with longer cylinders (rugers). Check out the belt mountain penetrator, it's an amazing bullet. It looks like a hollowed out piece of brass rod which has been filled with lead. It has a huge meplat and does not deform. They do a job on stumps and cars.

Would that Super Redhawk list include the Ruger Alaskan?

Thanks,

Mark

that belching-fire breathing behemoth is still a Ruger and yes is your answer. I am still mulling over the thought of that purchase or.....

regards,