Thread: Fairbanks

Default Fairbanks

Anyone got any pointers to spots for pike in/around Fairbanks? How about some nice size greyling? Just looking to have a little more angling fun before that upcoming deployment in a couple of weeks.

Default chena

If you are looking to c&r grayling, upper chena is your best bet. I recommend floating from granite tors trail head to rosehip as a good overnight trip, or you can walk in off chena hot springs road and shorefish along that stretch. I have caught 17 inch grayling in that part of the river. I have also caught quite a few right on post walking the shore. I know there are pike as well in the chena but I have no recommendations as far as were to fish for them (look for slackwater and sloughs). If you don't mind spending a little money, check on rick gold marina air for 1 day to multiday fly in trips for pike or rainbows. It is a very good price for what you get. Delta clearwater also has very nice grayling (caught an 18.5 incher last september). Have fun in the sandbox, I'll be right there with you.

I released a 15" grayling at the Chatanika last week, not too far from the Hwy. Conked a 12". The dead one had spiders in its gut (probably because it was raining).