Thread: Opening Success!!!

Default Opening Success!!!

Looks like I was not the only one on Goose Bay. Me and two buddies had a blast on opening morning. My dog did well and my buddies 2 month old pup got to sniff his first feathers. Good thing to come! Back home now. Shooting was so fast an furious that we thought we had our limits and went to the trucks. Found out we were each one bird short. Typical Goose Bay. Lots of Pennies and Mallards. Picked up a couple of Teal to finish up my (Almost) Limit. Bird numbers looked good in the area. Without the other hunters to push them around it can be a frustrating area. Good success this morning. Even helped a couple of other hunters find their downed birds. Good times!!! I will try and post a picture soon.

RUCKUS

Did ok.. I got two birds. Allot of hunters on Jim Lake. Birds were moving around. You won't believe this. The mallard hen I had shot and was lying next the other dead bird. 30 minutes past since I shot the mallard when I group of other birds came in. I pull the trigger and the (dead) mallard hen quaked and took off. Talk about scaring the poop out of me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Me and my buddy did really well out on the flats, I limited out on 3 Pens, 1 Mallard, 3 Teal, and of course 1 spoonie. It never fails, if there is a spoonie flying around I am always the guy who accidently shoots it. My buddy was out for his first time this morning, and shot 5, including 1 scotch double. I can't wait to go again on Wednesday.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Lots of birds at 60 yards, but none closer. They all wanted to be over near the mountains where the guys with the mud motors where waiting. It was a good morning to be out though, and at least I don't own this combination airboat and submarine.......

It was not there at 'O Dark Thirty when I zipped through the area but on my way out there it was.

opps, did some one for get to put the plug in?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default congrats everyone

well congrats to all that got out today i dont know about down south but we had a beautiful morning here in fairbanks well i guess we could of used a little overcast but birds were moving early and got a lot of shooting. more of the story and pics in my other post "im up and out" congrats again

matt

Default Goose Bay

Indeed a good day at Goose Bay. We all limited as well and I believe we did that with a bit of help from your dog. Black Lab male? If not, glad to hear you had a good day. I guess I should mention that for some reason I went through a whole lot more shells than shoud have. Man, was I rusty after all summer!

Default Not EVERYBODY was successful

As is tradition, flew down to Seeley Lake (on the flats just north of the Beluga River), the opening day ritual begins with a great meal and good wine the night before with good friends. Hit the flats this morning at 5:30AM and waited until sunrise for the first birds to show up. Unfortunately, somebody forgot to send the invitation to the birds. Been a downward trend over the past couple of years. There is an opportunity for geese along the tide line but most of the tidal ponds were dry and the ducks just don't seem to be there, at least not this early. Never took my safety off on this trip. Flew back into town around noon, washed the dog, cleaned up gear.....already thinking about next weekend. The dog keeps eyeballing me...seems to think it was all my fault. Wish the waterfowl season in AK lasted a couple of months longer....

No, Ruckus is a chessie. You probably heard us "quietley" talking my chessie into finding his birds. He did well. The guy I helped put a great shot on a pennie and lost it in the high grass. Don't know how many I lost before I got my Ruckus.

Happy hunting.

Hunted the first two days and did well. Limited both days with a mix of mallards and pintails.Also shot a couple of sandhills.Can't wait to go again but its time to chase moose.