Thread: 5 mile hike west of haul road

Default 5 mile hike west of haul road

I have done the 5 mile hike out before starting from Galbreath Lake (and it was successful) but was thinking of trying to start about 20 miles or so south of Deadhorse and go west. Anyone have any ideas on how this might be? Ive never gone in at Toolik or PS2 either. Which of these would you consider the better place to go in? Or should I go in at Galbreath again? Its been 2 years since I have been on the Haul Road so any input is appreciated.

if you are a bowhunter why bother? so you can shoot 5????? limit is 2 bulls currently. in archery only area.
    depends on time of year, if same time of year i would stay with same area. my guess , ? what it is based on , is the bou are in flats more , earlier then as migration starts they are further south, heading to what ever valley or pass they use. never know with the bou movement. that said some bulls will be up high early to escape heat and bugs then move to join migration.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default 5 miles for nonbowhunting friends

While I love to bowhunt I have a couple of friends that go along with me for the archery and then we hike out for them. But one by one they are falling to the addiction of bowhunting. It seems that after every 5 mile hike, successful or not, one of them starts craving a bow! Coincidence?

A major advantage of hunting from Galbraith Lake is that you can get away from the Haul Road by driving a significant portion of the 5 miles. My pack was about 3 1/2 miles when I did it a couple of years ago. (I can't tell you how helpful it is to shave the packing distance; it was the toughest pack of my life.) Just make sure and get GPS tracking of the road before you leave and you can make sure you are the required 5 miles distance from the road. Of course the plan depends completely on the caribou being in the vicinity.

done exactly what you want to do, pm me with specific questions on that area.

Galbraith lake is a great option if the bou are in the area. Last year we hiked in exactly 7 miles but used the weather station road near pump #3 and it did cut off a lot of tough walking. It was a long day of steady moving to make the walk, including the road walk. We went in on the advise of some other hunters. Did see a large herd of cows, but no bulls. Another option of Galbraith is that you can camp there and save time and effort. But after reading much of the posts this past few days, the bou are really not to plentiful. Good luck and wish we could have made the trip this year. Last years double shovel bull made the P&Y record book for my son. Mine still runs the tundra.