Thread: Hunting Prep. for PWS Bear Trip (RUST?!?)

Question Hunting Prep. for PWS Bear Trip (RUST?!?)

Greetings Everyone!

I am getting geared up for my first ever black bear hunt and I have heard many stories about gear getting rusted from the salt water and dampness. I also know(kind of) that there are some type of coatings that can be used on your rifles and knives(?) that counter the corrosion of the salt water. Of course proper handling of your equipment in paramount and nothing will prevent rust if the rifle lies in water in the bottom of the boat, but are there some out there that are better than others? If so, what makes one coating better than another? (chemical makeup, application, etc.)
    Also, I would appreciate anyone with advice of how to make this hunt as exciting and smooth as possible. I have never hunted on a coastline before, and as I mentioned before, never hunted (black) bear before, so I am sure there are things that I am just not thinking of because I am unawe. I have done quite a bit of reading from Batin and Taylor, and found much of what they said to be useful, however, in those books they are covering an area as large as possible. I am hoping a bit of case-specific information could be had!
    I would welcome any and all suggestions or tips from the wealth of knowledge that exists on this forum.

Thanks a ton!

Jake

ps This is my first post on the new forum, and I like it way better than the former one. Great job!!

Default Bear hunt

Jake,

I am glad you posted for more advice, the emails we exchanged were from another first timer hunting the coast, most of these guys on this forum have much more experience than I when it comes to this type of hunt.

Good luck,

Doug

Be patient, glass the south facing slopes and the beach area. Remember you CANNOT shoot from a boat, at all in Area 6. Take your time and insure no cubs and the size of the bear. A friend shot what he thought was a big one but it wasn't, probably its first year after mom. We harassed him about shooting BooBoo. Take you time on the stalk but hey can hear well and ddon't stay exposed for long. The hunting pressure over ther ehas increased greatly since the tunnel opened. I've been over there six or seven times and bear numbers seems to be down some, at leasst to me. Good luck!

Smile Good Tips, maybe more??

Bill,

Thanks for the good advice on the hunting strategy, I will take it to heart. I was trying to direct my question more at the areas of the hunt that come both before and after the stalk and (hopefully) kill. How to pack and make sure that I am not going to ruin all of my hunting gear during the hunt? How many game bags does it take to get out a medium-large sized bear? When skinning for a rug, can you cut through the pads or around them?(any taxadermists in anch. mind me swinging by for an explanation?) How can I keep the meat and hide dry while boating around PWS? Stuff like this is on my mind. Its probably just the pre-hunt jitters, but I really want to make this (my first hunt in Alaska!) right!

Dave,

I do appreciate your advice and time in helping me out. I just wanted to bring my questions to a broader audience. I will be sure to keep you in the loop!

Thank you for your time!

Cheers!!

Jake

How to pack and make sure that I am not going to ruin all of my hunting gear during the hunt? How many game bags does it take to get out a medium-large sized bear? When skinning for a rug, can you cut through the pads or around them?(any taxadermists in anch. mind me swinging by for an explanation?) How can I keep the meat and hide dry while boating around PWS?

Jake:
    Packing your stuff in waterproof dry bags is a good start, but they also keep water/moisture in if the tent (etc) gets wet in the trip...The salt water atmoshphere speeds the rust process on anything rustable, so an oil rag & gun oil will be a necessary item, and using it nightly on your gun/action should be helpful. What other gear are you thinking about that might rust?
    As for the bear skinning, you can cut through the pads if you would rather for rugging, or cut them off entirely, but I think it is just as eaisy to leave them attached, I usually skin the pads so they remain attached to the "outside" edge of the paw.
    Depending upon which type bags you use, one bag per quarter, one for loose meat and one for the hide, if you plan to use a game bag for the hide/skull. If you have an old army type duffle bag, it would work just as well. The longer type game bags will accomodate 2 quarters, either by tying a knot to separate the qurarters or cutting the bag to make 2 bags.I would recommend a large cooler for transporting the meat/hide in the boat to keep it dry...you do want to let the meat get air if possible to faorm a crust on the meat. Black bear meat tends to spoil faster than other game meat for some reason, so hanging for a few days is ok as long as it is dry & has air circulating around it...better to be in the shade than the sun when hanging. Take a tarp along to string over a meat pole if you hang the meat and have more time to hunt.
    Hope this helps..........

Sent you a pm. It was also my first hunt in Alaska, back before the tunnel. Knight's Taxidermy over on Arctic does not mind at all if you stop in. He gives a skinning presentation by appointment so give him a call. 344-5501.

Thumbs up Thanks a ton!

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate how you gentlemen help out a newbie to the blackies! By reading what you have said, I think I am on the right track for this hunt! I will be taking EXTRA care of my rifle, as it is the only one I own, and if I am lucky enough to harvest a bruin, I will make sure the meat, hide and skull are all treated right!! Please keep posting any useful tips or tricks if you can think of any!

Cheers!

Jake

Default Bear hunt

Jake,

I found the taxidermist Bill S mentioned in his post on the web, here is a link to the page on bear prep etc.

http://www.knightstaxidermy.com/knig...ghts_guide.htm

I wish I had seen it prior to my trip

Good luck,

Doug

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Good old fashinoed automobile paste wax on your firearm. Put it on, let it dry and then wipe off the residue. You also put paste wax on the inside of the barrel channel of a wood stock to keep it from absorbing moisture.