Thread: No Excuses

Default No Excuses

I gave No Excuses Bullets a try and WHAT A BULLET!!! I ordered a box about a month ago and the first time I went to the range I was going too hot and couldnt get them to shoot at all. I asked around for some advice since shooting conicals is still a little new to me. Brought the powder charge down and I am now getting 2" groups at 100 yards with a 495 grain bullet out of a 1:28 twist barrel. I cant count how many times I was told that you cant get conicals to shoot out of fast twist barrels. Well, the FT Richardson moose season opens tomorrow and I am completely comfortable with my rifle. Thanks to all for the advice and getting me on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    Brought the powder charge down and I am now getting 2" groups at 100 yards with a 495 grain bullet out of a 1:28 twist barrel. I cant count how many times I was told that you cant get conicals to shoot out of fast twist barrels.
    I can't imagine where you heard about conicals not shooting in fast twist barrels, cuzz that's what they're designed for. Glad to hear they shoot so well in your gun. Did you use a lubed felt over-powder wad, or seat the bullet directly on the powder? I usually get lots better accuracy from lead conicals by adding the felt wad.

I'm wondering too about casting my own version of No Excuse bullets. I'm not all that cheap but I shoot lots, and it just looks like I could buy a mould for about what a box of bullets costs, then shoot as much as I want for free. I typically shoot 20-40 shots per range session, and those happen 2 or 3 times a week on average. I'd sure go broke in a hurry buying bullets. Powder and caps are bad enough- going through about a pound of powder and a tin of caps a week adds up fast. Bullet costs on top would be kind of hard to swallow.

Best of luck on your hunt!!!

Report back on results. I sure hope you get to recover one of those bullets. Pics would be great.

Default btw.....

Tried both with and without wads- no difference that I could see. So I am going without them- a little faster to reload in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    Tried both with and without wads- no difference that I could see. So I am going without them- a little faster to reload in a hurry.
    Don't blame you.

I'm not a range rat, and I'm not chasing fractions of an inch in group size. Heck I shoot hundreds and maybe thousands of rounds offhand for each one I shoot off a bench.

I sure as heck don't want to be adding extra loading steps I don't need on hunts!

Default !!!!!!!

Exactly!!!!! I
    f I was looking to get 1/2" groups I would be shooting something a lot fancier than an out of the box remington genesis. Which in itself is a GREAT muzzleloader!!!!

Glad to hear the No Excuses conicals are working out. I had heard good things about 'em but have not had a chance to shoot them myself. 495 grains is quite a hunk of lead, would be really interested to see what it does to a moose. Good luck!