Thread: Light weight stocks

Default Light weight stocks

This has been bashed around a bit, but haven't been able to determine which stock is the way to go in terms of lightening up.
    I'd like to take of my laminated wood stock of my Rem 700LSS. The Grey laminated stock is too nice to bash up, and it is a tad heavy.
    The H-S looks like a good way to go, but i can't find weights on them.
    Thanks
    Paul

The H-S Precision stock is either just as heavy or heavier, probably the latter. Plus, they ain't the best for sucking up recoil.

It really depends on what you want to spend.

On my lightweight rifles, I run the McMillan Edge stocks (23 oz or so), but you'll end up paying quite a bit and there's a few month wait to get one after you order the stock (unless you can score one off McMillan's special page).

http://www.mcmfamily.com/

Another option is the Bansner stock. For the Rem 700, they weigh around 20-22 oz or so, but they come unfinished. Price is under $300 bones though.

http://www.hightech-specialties.com/

I'll second the McMillan. Not all that much lighter than the wood stock I replaced on a custom 257 Roberts because like you, I was wanting to preserve the original. Weight savings really wasn't on my mind. I have to guess though, that it would be considerably lighter than a laminate. With all the glue in the innards, in my experience the laminates are usually heavier than plain wood. On the accuracy side, I didn't pick up any by switching to a comp stock on this particular gun, but then again it was already breaking half an inch at 100 with the orginal. Other guns have profited when I added a McMillan.

Any experience with the Remington synthetic XCR stocks from Cabelas?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    This has been bashed around a bit, but haven't been able to determine which stock is the way to go in terms of lightening up.
    I'd like to take of my laminated wood stock of my Rem 700LSS. The Grey laminated stock is too nice to bash up, and it is a tad heavy.
    The H-S looks like a good way to go, but i can't find weights on them.
    Thanks
    Paul
    The last time I talked to HS Precision, a couple of months ago, they said all their stocks are going on their guns. They don't sell jusy stocks anymore. You might call them and see if that's still the policy.

If you're looking for an aluminum bedded stock, you might also check B&C.

I just was checking on this myself, and this is what I found:

McMillan Hunters Edge - 22 oz - $540
    McMillan Classic - 34 oz - $450
    HS Precision PS2000 Sporter - 36 oz - $310
    B&C Medalist - 32 oz - $240
    Hogue O/M Pillar Bed - 44 oz - $120
    Hogue O/M Full AL Bed - 47 oz - $220
    Lone Wolf Summit - 16 oz - $645
    Lone Wolf XTR - 22 oz - $665
    Brown Precision also had some, but I didn't contact him to get weight or price. Probably similar to the Lone Wolf stock.

If you want ultralight, you need a blend of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and kevlar. If you just want a good synthetic, 100% handlayed fiberglass is OK, but not as light. Stay away from injection molded plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Any experience with the Remington synthetic XCR stocks from Cabelas?
    I have one on my 300 Win Mag and really like it. It is no different weight wise then the standard SPS stock, but it does have the Hogue inserts on he palm swell and fore-end which are very nice.Plus it's camo

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default stocks

Brown Precision Kevlar Pound'r.

I have one on a M70 Featherweight SS 30/06. With Brown's lightweight pad, bedded, prep'd for final painting it weighs 20 ounces. Like it a lot. Tough, efficient. And Brown's stock patterns fit me better than McMillan's.

Happy Trails.

Thumbs up Bansners?

Mark Bansner's High Tech stocks run about 20 oz. I have had one on a custom Mod. 70 .338 for a number of years and like it. The high comb makes a good cheek weld with my iron sights a problem but I can live with it since they are back up's in case of scope failure. I plan on getting another for a stainless Mod. 70 in 30-06. They are not cheap and neither is a good rifle. McMillan has a great reputation and their Edge stock has my interest.

MPI lists their fiberglass stock blanks at 24-28 ozs, lightweight designs 13-20 ozs. Starting price for the Classic style is $299.00

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

I have one on a M70 Featherweight SS 30/06. With Brown's lightweight pad, bedded, prep'd for final painting it weighs 20 ounces. Like it a lot. Tough, efficient. And Brown's stock patterns fit me better than McMillan's.

Happy Trails.

I have one on a Ruger 77 30-06 and have had no problems, but, I don't feel like I've put it to hard use either. I am very pleased with the weight reduction though. I replaced the original laminated stock with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Happy Trails.
    What's the approximate cost of this stock?

If you're looking for a light stock for a remington, get one from the TI rifles. 1st generation has blind magazine and mountain rifle barrel contour, newer ones have floorplate inletting and sporter barrel contour. They are light, and handle well. I sure like mine.