Thread: Patching aluminum

Default Patching aluminum

Although this query is in regards to a jon boat, I'm thinking that some of you down to earth, practical canoe folks (I own two myself) might be able to answer it better than the folks with the bigger heavier craft on the motor boating forum (I have one of those too).

Anyway, I recently bought a small, light jon boat and have enjoyed . Last night whan I tipped it off the trailer to wash it out, I noticed that the bow roller on the trailer had self-destructed and had nearly worn through the keel!

Does any of you know of, or have any experience with an epoxy type compound that will adhere to aluminum so I can reinforce this thin area? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Default patch

Without welding I think I would cut a piece of thin aluminum for front and back, slap some jb weld on it then bolt and nut it with stainless fasteners. They make a marine jb weld that I haven't tried but the kwik is good stuff, I carry some for problems on the river
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Hard to bolt

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Without welding I think I would cut a piece of thin aluminum for front and back, slap some jb weld on it then bolt and nut it with stainless fasteners. They make a marine jb weld that I haven't tried but the kwik is good stuff, I carry some for problems on the river
    Thanks for the come back ironartist. The dent/abrasion is directly under a built in seat so it would be hard to put a nut on any bolts I pushed up from the bottom. Not only that, but it isn't a flat area, it is an extrusion- a keel. So getting the exact shape would be nearly impossible without sheet metal tools.

The craft itself is a Monark. It has welded chines, but the ribs are riveted to the bottom, so rivet heads would also be a problem in getting a patch to sit flush against the bottom unless I drilled them out before applying a patch (assuming I could make one).

If it were not for JB weld my duck boat would not float. I have several small holes in it that i patched with JB weld and they have help for years. I would not use it for large areas as the holes i patched were totaly through but under 1/2 inch.

Default patch

use Truck bed liner, clean the surface with a scoch pad ,wipe with a cleaner [degreaser] an use the bed liner to cover the area PS put a pice of alumin over the patch ,an put weights on top of the alumin to hold in place to push all the excess out, this will take all the beating you can give it, an form a water tight it seal an no drilling or bolting let dry for about 2 to 3 days an off you go [takes time for the liner to cure under the pice of alumin ] Clean up as you go big mess if you don,t rubber gloves an all that

Default Patch

PS this all goes in side the Boat, not out side the boat.

Default Thanks gents

I looked on-line for various fixes, and found a few. But I was most interested in hearing what real people on this forum have found to be effective.

I will probably use either JB Weld or G-Flex. Some say Gluvit is good too.

Sid, your bed liner idea makes me want to do the whole inside of the boat with it!

Default Water weld

Steve, go to trustworthy and pick up a product called "Water Weld"
    Its a JB product, but is something I carry with me in any Aluminum or even Roylex/ poly/ Fiberglass boat.
    you can fix any leak in just minutes, even when its wet, and it dries really hard and fast... in just a few minutes you can be on your way..
    If you need to have the keel welded up with some aluminum, you can use the map gas aluminum rod stuff that is sold at the state fair. I have several rods here and they work great and last for good,,,
    its cheap and fast..
    give me a call if you want to use some.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Thanks Max

I'm going to Trustworthy today for some Vibraxes and shells (good sales!), so I'll pick some up.

You will need to clean and lightly sand the area. Then using aluminum flux and a propane torch, heat the area, melt in the flux, let cool, remove any excess. You will want to do this on in a warm, non-windy environment, as the flux will not adhere if proper temp is not reached. If, at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Default splash zone

Another good product is splash zone. It's easy to use, and cures underwater or out. It usually sets up hard in an hour or so, and is completely cured in a day. It's great to have along for emergencies. It's also easy to mold into any shape and to sand after it hardens. I use it to patch my gillnet boat in emergencies because I can use it in most conditions. It doesn't wear as well as fiberglass but it does wear fairly well, and I can't put fiberglass on a wet boat either and keep going. I can always fiberglass at a more convenient time.

To apply it, you have two cans. One has a black putty like substance and the other a yellow putty like substance. You take an equal ball of each and squeeze them together and kneed them until the whole ball turns a even green. Then it's ready to apply. One secret is, have a bucket or another source of water on hand (doesn't matter, fresh or seawater) and do all your mixing and kneeding in the water and start with wet hands to keep the putty from sticking to them. If you can, apply the putty to both sides of the hole and use a generouse amount on both sides. (inside and outside) Makes for a better seal and should prevent the patch from falling out in normal use. It bonds to wood, and fiberglass and metal. I also use it to cover bolts and screw heads that might catch on my net.

Default splash zone is great stuff

But where can you get it? I haven't seen any around locally. Can you get it at BJ commercial?
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default splash zone

Try boat stores and commercial fishing stores. Not sure about Anchorage, but in Cordova I can get it at any marine hardware store and even the local True Value hardware store. Probably at least 5 places in town that sell it. Try calling around anchorage. Somebody has to have it.

It is a little spendy, but it's a great product for what it does.

I think Anchorage has a West Marine Store. Most hardware stores have marine epoxy products. Being in Anchorage I would just get it mig welded.