Thread: Advice ON Where to Buy 338-06 Ammo

Default Advice ON Where to Buy 338-06 Ammo

Just Received new Cooper 338-06 for Cordova Browny hunt in spring of 09. I would like advice on where online to purchase ammo and advice on bullet type and weight.

Thanx

CapnJack, ammo for the 338-06 can be had from A-Square and Weatherby. As for bullet choice the gun will tell you what it likes. Generally, 250s shoot about as flat as a 200 or 220 from a 30-06, but you have made a great choice in the 338-06 because sectional density is much higher. Good luck

I've been making ammo for that caliber since the late eighties, it is a very good caliber. The Norma made Weatherby ammo is with 210 Nosler partitions at about 2750 fps. I think A square loads their 250 grain Dead Tough soft point. A very tough bullet but aerodynamic it ain't. I really like the caliber but it is at it's best with bullets in the 210 to 230 weight. The 210 partition or the 225 grain Kodiak or the 225 A frame, for really tough customers, work well. The 225's will reach about 2650 to 2700 fps and that gives a pretty flat trajectory and plenty of punch. The 250 grain Kodiak or partition can be launched at 2500 fps and are well suited for those big guys where trajectory isn't so critical.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Capn Jack, I also handload for the .338-06, so I've never bought ammo for it. However, if I didn't handload this cartridge, I'd definately buy my ammo from Murphy (assuming he'd do it). I'm sure his prices will be competitive with A-Square or Weatherby, the quality will be excellent, and his reputation is top notch around here. Drop him a PM.